PDA

View Full Version : Help! New iBook wont boot to OSX

Project
Sep 30, 2005, 05:35 AM
ive been trying to get my adsl usb modem to work with my new iBook since switching the other day... it led me to download some drivers, which I did, and now my iBook wont start up - it loads then goes to a black screen saying you need to restart the computer in a few languages... so i do that, and upon reboot it says the exact same thing..

I just tried an archive and install, yet its still happening. this is killing me. ive only had a mac 3 days!

Applespider
Sep 30, 2005, 05:48 AM
Oh dear - ADSL USB modems and Macs don't always play nicely together since the drivers for them generally appeared to have been written by the monkeys taking a break from writing Shakespeare. Is that the only change you've made to the system before it started doing this? You didn't add any RAM at the same time which might be faulty?

You could try booting from the Tiger disc and then trying to find the drivers which were installed and removing them? If they're in your User directory, rather than in the System, then your Archive and Install will have preserved them. You might have to do a Clean Install to try to get back to factory condition without those drivers.

Next thing, go out and buy an ADSL Ethernet modem- you can get a basic one online for 20-30. You won't need drivers, you'll never have to wait for your ADSL connection to reconnect again and you'll probably see higher data speeds.

Project
Sep 30, 2005, 05:54 AM
Yep, it happened on being asked to restart after installing the drivers. How do I boot from the Tiger cd?

Project
Sep 30, 2005, 05:54 AM
http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic102.jpg

Applespider
Sep 30, 2005, 06:14 AM
Yep, it happened on being asked to restart after installing the drivers. How do I boot from the Tiger cd?

Hold down the C key while you restart and it should boot from the disc but from reading the link below, it appears that holding down Shift til it Safe Boots and trying to uninstall might be a better way forward.

Have you worked through Apple's suggestions on what to do if you start up to a kernal panic - which is what that screen is?
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/help/2/

Which ADSL modem is it? Is it Tiger compatible? Some of the Voyagers are still only guaranteed to work up to 10.3.9 IIRC

Project
Sep 30, 2005, 10:15 AM
I didnt know it was a kernal panic, but I will try the safe boot option now.

Hope this works, as I havent got a backup of my iTunes files :-(

The modem is the F@ast 800 by Sagem, which is given out as part of my TalkTalk package.

The one saving grace is that im moving to University Halls tomorrow, so will not even need the modem really... I just tried to use it so that I could go online today and check out some of OSX's other features - Mail, Safari etc.

thanks for your help

widgetguy
Sep 30, 2005, 10:39 AM
thast should work i had the same issuee when i got my new g4 ibook that i just recently sold stupid thing ever***

mklos
Sep 30, 2005, 11:12 AM
I would see if your ISP will get you an Ethernet ADSL Modem. USB Modems are terrible!

Project
Sep 30, 2005, 01:14 PM
Archive and install didnt solve the problem, so I am going to wipe the whole thing and start from scratch :mad:

yenko
Sep 30, 2005, 01:59 PM
Archive and install didnt solve the problem, so I am going to wipe the whole thing and start from scratch :mad:
Yeah....and don't install those drivers. :D

Project
Sep 30, 2005, 04:25 PM
Dont worry I wont, lol..
Well, the clean install was a lot more painless than I thought it would be, and the customised install was about half the size of what it was from the factory, saving me 8 or 9 gigs so im happy about that. My iTunes collection was backed up to iPod, so all in all its been a good end to the problem. Ive also learned a lot more about OSX, so thats cool...

Thanks for the help