PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner

shred444
Sep 30, 2005, 07:41 AM
Just wondering if anyone has a tv tuner for their mac? im looking to get one, internal or external.

how does this work if you have comcast digital cable? you need a seperate box for the computer? will you be able to change channels using the computer? or you change channels using the cable box, then you just record or watch on the computer?

thanks

alexprice
Sep 30, 2005, 05:32 PM
I would recommend an EyeTV box. Goto their website and check them out. They have many different models.

I have an EyeTV 400, its GREAT I really love it and feel that its probobly the best bit of kit i've ever bought for my PowerBook.

I have noticed today the formac are now offering a PC card tuner for the mac, its looks pretty cool!

Alex Price

risc
Sep 30, 2005, 05:52 PM
I second the recommendation for El Gatos EyeTV, I also have the EyeHome both are great.

Gerg
Sep 30, 2005, 06:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone has a tv tuner for their mac? im looking to get one, internal or external.

how does this work if you have comcast digital cable? you need a seperate box for the computer? will you be able to change channels using the computer? or you change channels using the cable box, then you just record or watch on the computer?
thanks
Elgato's EyeTV is an external tuner. There are different models depending on if you have cable, satellite, HDTV, etc. The software that comes with the unit allows you to watch & record live TV shows, and edit the recorded content to remove commercials, etc. You can then burn the content off to a DVD if you want. You also get access to TitanTV.com, and their programming guide. From there, you can browse up to 2 weeks of programming and select anything you want to record for the future. It even has the ability to "Remote Schedule" a recording. I can sit at work, see something on TV today I want the EyeTV to record, and schedule it from work. Very slick! And before you ask, there are no monthly fees involved at all. Buy the unit, and you're set to go.

Along with EyeTV, some people buy the EyeHome unit. It makes your Mac a media server, and can stream content from your Mac to a TV where the EyeHome is connected, either wirelessly or wired through your LAN. The wireless streaming is a bit picky, as the content is usually very large. Hard-wired is the way to go, in my opinion. You can access any recorded content, as well as any iTunes music, iPhoto pictures, and any movies that are in yuor "Movies" directory on your Mac.

Visit http://www.elgato.com/ for all the details.

chaos86
Sep 30, 2005, 06:51 PM
ive never used on or heard a review for one, but dont rule out an Miglia AlchemyTV DVR. let us know what your research finds.

richdean
Oct 12, 2005, 04:28 PM
EyeTV is indeed your best bet.

As an owner of a Formac TV Studio box, I have to warn you away from it as strongly as possible. Do not buy it. They have simply horrific "customer support" -- their support web site doesn't work with Mac browsers! It would be funny if I didn't spend $300+ for this box. It simply does not do what they say it does in regards to recording TV. Search on "formac sucks" and you'll get a small taste of them. Did I mention not to buy anything from them?

Elgato on the other hand makes great products :)

I would recommend an EyeTV box. Goto their website and check them out. They have many different models.

I have an EyeTV 400, its GREAT I really love it and feel that its probobly the best bit of kit i've ever bought for my PowerBook.

I have noticed today the formac are now offering a PC card tuner for the mac, its looks pretty cool!

Alex Price

MacTruck
Oct 12, 2005, 05:38 PM
Eyetv baby!