Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
My girlfriend is selling her MacBook. I have a full Time Machine backup. I want to create an account for her on my MBP. Can I create the account by restoring from her time machine backup, without affecting my own existing account?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Not in your User Account, you have to use another(new) account to even use another (iCloud) account, and then you might be able to do so.

Edit, if you create a new User Account you can then import her Home Folder.

At first I misread your question, at first I thought you meant an AppleID or iCloud but you just want to create a new User, if you create the new User it should have exactly the same name and password as her backup, not only that, you might run into problems with permissions.
For instance, on your MBP there is one account and also on her MB, this means both Users ID is 501, now if you create a second User on your machine her ID will be 502 while on the backup it is 501.

The best way to avoid conflicts is to copy it "manually" when it is logged into the new account since all copied files will have their permissions set right.

Last edited:

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
So I can't manually create a new account for her and "import" her Time Machine backup into it?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So I can't manually create a new account for her and "import" her Time Machine backup into it?

Yes, but as I said before, log into that account and copy the things over, in the screenshot below you see a file in My documents folder, user ID is 501, now hers will be 502 so better copy manually.

You might run into problems with copying like files which are already there, just hit yes when it asks them to be overwritten.

Another way is to use a folder sync program like this one.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 360

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
My girlfriend is selling her MacBook. I have a full Time Machine backup. I want to create an account for her on my MBP. Can I create the account by restoring from her time machine backup, without affecting my own existing account?

Yes. I just did this for my mom on my dad's computer recently. Use Migration Assistant > Restore User from Time Machine backup.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Do not manually create the account for her. Just start Migration Assist from your account and point to the TM backup disk, then click on ONLY her account when asked what you want to restore. Make sure all the other boxes are unchecked. This will create her account and pull in all her data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.