PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] a backup query (solved)

HiDeHo
Jan 8, 2013, 05:16 AM
I have just brought a 2TB external powered hdd.

i am wanting to use it for my backup via time machine and data.
i am going to be plugging the hdd into the modems usb port as a file server.

what i really want to know is should i leave the drive as one partition or si it best to keep things separate.with 2 1TB partitions.

any other tips and tricks for my setup would also be appreciated.

edit: I decided to leave the drive as one hfs+(journaled) mac partition and just use it for my Time Machine backups.
edit 2: in regards to general data partition, backup solution click here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1564707).

johnmacward
Jan 8, 2013, 05:33 AM
I suppose it's one of those things that's completely up to you!

Any reason you want to have two partitions?

maflynn
Jan 8, 2013, 05:43 AM
Personally, I'd have my backup on one drive and a data drive completely separate. If you partition a single drive for a backup partition and a data partition and that drive fails you lose your data and backup.

benwiggy
Jan 8, 2013, 06:12 AM
i am wanting to use it for my backup via time machine and data.
Explain to me how you will recover your data if this drive develops a fault. The purpose of a backup is duplication, so that if one device breaks down, another one still has ALL your data.

As for partitioning: if you're not planning on using a partition for different file formats, or separate bootable volumes: don't. I have always regretted partitioning a drive and wanted to change the structure later.
However, TM will fill any volume it uses, so there is a point in limiting that with a partition.

But make sure that whatever data you put on the other partition is backed up on ANOTHER physical device.

hallux
Jan 8, 2013, 08:33 AM
Also note, the USB port on the MODEM is intended to provide internet connection in the case of a system with no LAN port. If you mean on the ROUTER, not all routers provide the ability to use Time Machine to back up to a device plugged into that USB port.

HiDeHo
Jan 9, 2013, 01:15 AM
right i guess leaving it on one partition is good enough.

there is no harm in trying to see if time machine will backup over the network. I will leave the drive in ntfs. and see. thanks all.

most helpful.

next i will need a powered usb hub.

justperry
Jan 9, 2013, 01:19 AM
right i guess leaving it on one partition is good enough.

there is no harm in trying to see if time machine will backup over the network. I will leave the drive in ntfs. and see. thanks all.

most helpful.

next i will need a powered usb hub.

I am not sure about NTFS on a network but I think there will be no issues, but if you connect it directly to a mac it is read only, you need, or drivers which makes it R/W or a "hack" which has stability problems.

benwiggy
Jan 9, 2013, 03:34 AM
TM needs an HFS+ format to work. You can use a sparse bundle image, which essentially simulates the HFS+ format, but it stores lots of metadata which needs the HFS+ format.

HiDeHo
Jan 14, 2013, 03:22 AM
I am not sure about NTFS on a network but I think there will be no issues, but if you connect it directly to a mac it is read only, you need, or drivers which makes it R/W or a "hack" which has stability problems.

the ntfs-3g driver gives the support to read and write properly to ntfs filesystem. click here (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g)