PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Is My "Genuine Smart Case A Fake?? Please Help...

JuicyPoloMan
Jan 8, 2013, 05:58 AM
Hi all,

I'm in need of a bit of help here... So I recently bought a iPad smart Case from eBay claiming to be "Genuine". When it came through the post it looked like a genuine box, I was expecting the smart case to be Leather on the top with the same colour on the underneath... If that makes sense? that's what a Genuine one looks like right?

I have been searching through the internet and have a question... Before Apple started making the Leather iPad smart cases did they make ones that where not leather?

On the smart case that I received its blue on top but grey underneath... Is that a old "Genuine" smart case? or a fake...

I hope all this makes sense and someone can help me...

Thanks
Jack

gngan
Jan 8, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hi all,

I'm in need of a bit of help here... So I recently bought a iPad smart Case from eBay claiming to be "Genuine". When it came through the post it looked like a genuine box, I was expecting the smart case to be Leather on the top with the same colour on the underneath... If that makes sense? that's what a Genuine one looks like right?

I have been searching through the internet and have a question... Before Apple started making the Leather iPad smart cases did they make ones that where not leather?

On the smart case that I received its blue on top but grey underneath... Is that a old "Genuine" smart case? or a fake...

I hope all this makes sense and someone can help me...

Thanks
Jack

Why not take a photo instead of typing so many words?:confused:

JuicyPoloMan
Jan 8, 2013, 06:34 AM
Yeah... I realised that... But im at work and the case is at home...

Sorry...

GoCubsGo
Jan 8, 2013, 06:39 AM
Apple.com sells a Navy smart cover that is leather. The top is leather and Navy and the inside is the same color if not slightly lighter. See their website. The lining is microfiber, just as the non-leather smart covers.

If you have a light blue smart cover that is leather then it is not genuine as Apple did not manufacture a light blue leather cover as far as I can recall. Additionally, it appears as though all smart covers that are sold today have the same interior and exterior colors. I have an orange smart cover that is gray inside. It was said to be "real" and even has the proper markings, but because Apple doesn't sell orange I am unsure whether the inside was supposed to be gray.

Why not take a photo instead of typing so many words?:confused:

Really? Come on man. :cool:

Macman45
Jan 8, 2013, 06:41 AM
Another "don't go there" for E-bay.

Buy from a genuine retailer, you have recourse if things go wrong.

GoCubsGo
Jan 8, 2013, 06:46 AM

Not true. I've bought things from eBay quite a bit and had recourse if the item wasn't as described.

JuicyPoloMan
Jan 8, 2013, 06:56 AM
Apple.com sells a Navy smart cover that is leather. The top is leather and Navy and the inside is the same color if not slightly lighter. See their website. The lining is microfiber, just as the non-leather smart covers.

If you have a light blue smart cover that is leather then it is not genuine as Apple did not manufacture a light blue leather cover as far as I can recall. Additionally, it appears as though all smart covers that are sold today have the same interior and exterior colors. I have an orange smart cover that is gray inside. It was said to be "real" and even has the proper markings, but because Apple doesn't sell orange I am unsure whether the inside was supposed to be gray.

Really? Come on man. :cool:

The smart cover I got is Light Blue... but it is not Leather... Some other material. Just wondering if apple ever made these items in any other meterials apart from leather...

DarkAether
Jan 8, 2013, 07:11 AM
The smart cover I got is Light Blue... but it is not Leather... Some other material. Just wondering if apple ever made these items in any other meterials apart from leather...

Apple clearly describes the materials used in the Smart Cover in their product description on their website.

GoCubsGo
Jan 8, 2013, 07:51 AM

Yes, leather and something other than leather. They're still available on Apple's website. If you have a blue/gray one though that doesn't sound right.

j.dstasio
Jan 8, 2013, 08:07 AM
When Apple first introduced the smart covers for the iPad 2, there was a light blue color (polyurethane) that had a grey liner. I think Apple changed the inside colors when the iPad 3 was introduced. Here maybe this will help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B004QKM3AA/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2&isremote=0

Hls811
Jan 8, 2013, 08:37 AM
Flip open the cover, the genuine Apple covers say "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China" along the magnetic edge, embossed in the microfiber.

Do you have the link to the ad? I bought one from ebay knowing it was a knock-off but marketed as genuine - it was also $10 at the time and aside from the words I couldn't tell the difference at all.

glen e
Jan 8, 2013, 08:44 AM
Does it work?

Does it look good?

Does it sleep/wake?

If so, why the heck do you care?

#firstworldproblems.......

GoCubsGo
Jan 8, 2013, 08:54 AM
When Apple first introduced the smart covers for the iPad 2, there was a light blue color (polyurethane) that had a grey liner. I think Apple changed the inside colors when the iPad 3 was introduced. Here maybe this will help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B004QKM3AA/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2&isremote=0

Ah! Good looking out! Maybe the OP is fine after all.

j.dstasio
Jan 8, 2013, 09:25 AM
I have an orange smart cover that is gray inside. It was said to be "real" and even has the proper markings, but because Apple doesn't sell orange I am unsure whether the inside was supposed to be gray.

I did some digging, just for my own curiosity... They did away with the orange smart covers at the same time that they changed the lining color. I had forgotten about the orange smart covers. Apple should have kept those, IMO.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/24/apple-updates-smart-covers-kills-the-orange-but-adds-a-lovely-dark-gray-and-color-matched-fiber-lining/

JuicyPoloMan
Jan 8, 2013, 10:21 AM

Ah thank you so much!! Ill check properly when i get home. Big big help.

Thanks Everyone :) :D

mcdj
Jan 8, 2013, 12:47 PM

Another "fear trumps all".

charlituna
Jan 27, 2013, 03:04 PM

Apple released the leather and poly smart cases at the same time. As I recall, round one of the leather ones did all have a light grey lining so yes the one you got might be legit.

A question to answer is what shade of blue. The leathers are all deeply saturated colors -- cream, tan, red, navy (that looks almost black) and black. The poly were bright day glow type shades -- light blue, orange (for a time), pink, light green etc.

So if you have a leather light blue that's not legit. But if it's a dark dark navy type blue then again, it might be

Hosei
Jan 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
Smart Covers have changed a lot since they were first released. I've seen the first release and the current release Smart Covers for the iPad and I can say the current ones have a much improved felt liner.

xraydoc
Jan 27, 2013, 06:03 PM
IIRC, Apple never made a leather Smart Case. Smart Cover, yes. Smart Case, no.

RenoG
Jan 28, 2013, 08:32 AM
IIRC, Apple never made a leather Smart Case. Smart Cover, yes. Smart Case, no.

Yeah that thing would be, what about a good $80-100 ?

oneMadRssn
Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 PM

Respectively disagree. The handful of times I've been burned for buying a cheapo $5 case has been well worth the hundreds of dollars I have saved in that same span of time shopping on ebay.

glen e
Jan 29, 2013, 06:35 PM
Respectively disagree. The handful of times I've been burned for buying a cheapo $5 case has been well worth the hundreds of dollars I have saved in that same span of time shopping on ebay.

I agree...I realize a bunch of times I got real trash but then a few come along that are 1/10 the price of "genuine" stuff and it works well. Khomo was a great find, Poetic not so hot...