PDA

View Full Version : Ti Powerbook for presentations? Maybe need new one?

livingfortoday
Sep 30, 2005, 11:46 AM
Sorry if this is confusing, I'm in a rush to put this up so that I can get a decent amount of responses by the end of the day...

I'm going to be needing to use my Powerbook for presentations (Powerpoint and the like) a LOT in the next two years. I currently have the Gigabit Ethernet Titanium PB (667Mhz! w00t!), and I'm not sure if this can handle that kind of a load. I mean, it's only got VGA out, but I'm pretty sure I can get a VGA-DVI adapter if need be for different projectors. Do you think that a new Powerbook with their increased VRAM would make a difference in presentation speed/quality? Would a 12" do me fine for that purpose?

I'm kinda loathe to upgrade just because of the incredibly high price (IMHO) of the Powerbooks right now, and would rather wait a few months and see if anything new comes out, but if it's apparent that my PB can't handle such presentations....

Oh, also, do the newer Powerbooks not make as much noise? I mean, when I have an external monitor hooked up, all fans will roar on on this machine, and it's really unpleasant during presentations.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

California
Sep 30, 2005, 11:56 AM
Sorry if this is confusing, I'm in a rush to put this up so that I can get a decent amount of responses by the end of the day...

I'm going to be needing to use my Powerbook for presentations (Powerpoint and the like) a LOT in the next two years. I currently have the Gigabit Ethernet Titanium PB (667Mhz! w00t!), and I'm not sure if this can handle that kind of a load. I mean, it's only got VGA out, but I'm pretty sure I can get a VGA-DVI adapter if need be for different projectors. Do you think that a new Powerbook with their increased VRAM would make a difference in presentation speed/quality? Would a 12" do me fine for that purpose?

I'm kinda loathe to upgrade just because of the incredibly high price (IMHO) of the Powerbooks right now, and would rather wait a few months and see if anything new comes out, but if it's apparent that my PB can't handle such presentations....

Oh, also, do the newer Powerbooks not make as much noise? I mean, when I have an external monitor hooked up, all fans will roar on on this machine, and it's really unpleasant during presentations.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

I don't know -- I am a huge Tibook fan. I think if I were in your shoes I'd just hold out until the new PBs come along, and stuff your book with the full one gig of memory and also get a larger hd at 7200rpms. (That's a rare 40 gig drive you've got if it really is at 7200rpm). Or if really inclined to get the DVI, maybe sell my 667 now and just get a 1ghz Tibook, because if they are in good condition, they still command good auction prices. IMHO, Tibooks kick *ss over Albooks, even with the tipaint problems.

One thing about the larger CPU Tibooks and I presume AlBooks that I just found out. They actually have some sort of energy saver on them that lowers their CPU speed -- couldn't even get my 1ghz Tibook to run above 667mhz when I tried. So, that's another interesting reason to keep your 667mhz machine, even VGA!

Max her out with a superdrive, ram, bigger hd and wait for PBs. IMHO only. (you can do the superdrive and hd and ram yourself if you are patient)

livingfortoday
Sep 30, 2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah, it is a 7200rpm 40GB drive, one of the first Hitachi made. Pretty decent, makes the machine a lot more responsive. I'm much more worried about the VRAM, though, because this has (I believe) 16MB, and when hooked up to anything else, it splits it to 8MB each. That's damn little. I might get another 512MB stick to replace my one 256MB as far as RAM goes, but I think 768MB is still pretty decent.

And yeah, I love the look of the Ti's, buuuuut... if necessary....

Nuc
Sep 30, 2005, 12:12 PM
I think you will be fine. I've used my PB G3 "Pismo" for presentations before and it works great. I guess it depends on how much graphics you put in your presentations. If you link to movies through Powerpoint or Keynote then you will probably want to upgrade.

I would say max out your ram, you don't need a maxed out superdrive. Just get an external drive.

I've only encountered projectors that have VGA so I have to use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with my PB G4 1.67Ghz.

Anyways if it works for you now then why not wait for the intel PB. Best of luck deciding.

Nuc

livingfortoday
Sep 30, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess if it seems that my Powerbook will cut it for the next year (and you all seem pretty confident of that), I'll just wait until the Intel PB's come out and hope this carries me through!

Thanks again!