PDA

View Full Version : Which devices do you think will receive iOS 7?

pk7
Jan 8, 2013, 04:16 PM
Title says it all. In light of the recent iOS 7 rumors this was a curiosity of mine.

In my opinion, it's a given that the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPad 4 and iPod touch 5 will receive it since they are all newer. I think the 3GS will be dropped.

What do you think?

Edit: the last option should read "iPad mini/iPod touch 5/iPhone 4S will NOT receive iOS 7"

irDigital0l
Jan 8, 2013, 05:23 PM
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPod Touch 5th gen
iPad 2
iPad Mini
iPad 3
iPad 4

iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4th gen will be dropped due to lack of RAM.

ravenvii
Jan 8, 2013, 05:25 PM
iPhone 4 and up are given, since the iPhone 4 will still be on sale when iOS 7 comes out (just like the 3GS was when iOS 6 came out).

The iPad '3' and up are given, since they're 1) currently on sale, or (in the case of the iPad 3) 2) Apple promised 2 years of updates.

The iPod touches, whichever generation came with the iPhone 4S, and up. There will be much teeth-gnashing over this, as the specifications are almost identical with the iPod touches that came with the iPhone 4, however :)

The iPad 2 is a '?' here. On one hand, it's still on sale, but may be phased out before iOS 7 comes out, and given the early finger, just as the original iPad was given the finger with iOS 6.

APlotdevice
Jan 8, 2013, 06:26 PM
All devices are still in production this year will receive the update. Plus the iPad 3.

Thetonyk123
Jan 8, 2013, 06:28 PM
Agreed, I don't need anymore things hogging down iOS on my iPod touch :p

TacticalDesire
Jan 8, 2013, 06:32 PM
Everything currently on sale plus the iPad 3. minus the iPod touch 4th gen.

aerok
Jan 8, 2013, 06:34 PM
iPhone 4 and up
iPad 2 and up

But every device except for iPad 4 and iPhone 5s/6 will lose some core function of iOS7

TacticalDesire
Jan 8, 2013, 06:37 PM
iPhone 4 and up
iPad 2 and up

But every device except for iPad 4 and iPhone 5s/6 will lose some core function of iOS7 I doubt the iPhone 5 or iPod touch 5 will lose anything either seeing as how they were just released

aerok
Jan 8, 2013, 06:38 PM
I doubt the iPhone 5 or iPod touch 5 will lose anything either seeing as how they were just released

iPhone 4 didn't get Siri when the 4S was released.

irDigital0l
Jan 8, 2013, 06:39 PM
iPhone 4 didn't get Siri when the 4S was released.

Because honestly if the iPhone 4 also came with Siri...no one would upgrade to the iPhone 4S.

aerok
Jan 8, 2013, 06:41 PM
Because honestly if the iPhone 4 also came with Siri...no one would upgrade to the iPhone 4S.

The same could be said if Apple releases an iPhone 5s which is very possible at this point.

cheezeit
Jan 8, 2013, 06:46 PM
I hope the 5 gets a full update, but like they say if it gets everything the 5S gets, why update?

irDigital0l
Jan 8, 2013, 06:47 PM
The same could be said if Apple releases an iPhone 5s which is very possible at this point.

Yup, although in iOS 6, all the features that the iPhone 5 got the iPhone 4S also got.

-Siri enhancements
-FaceTime over cellular
-Panorama mode

aerok
Jan 8, 2013, 06:50 PM
I hope the 5 gets a full update, but like they say if it gets everything the 5S gets, why update?

This is a wild guess but they might change the build of the phone a bit to add a NFC chip. Or maybe change the optics and internals to be able to do HDR video, seems to be the new thing in smart phone cameras based on the CES announcements.

----------

Yup, although in iOS 6, all the features that the iPhone 5 got the iPhone 4S also got.

-Siri enhancements
-FaceTime over cellular
-Panorama mode

I concede to that but the new body and screen convinced millions to upgrade from the 4S

cheezeit
Jan 8, 2013, 06:53 PM
NFC would be nice finally. Wireless charging would be even better. I can deal with the hardware upgrades, but hopefully no software hold backs.

irDigital0l
Jan 8, 2013, 06:56 PM
NFC would be nice finally. Wireless charging would be even better. I can deal with the hardware upgrades, but hopefully no software hold backs.

I thought the 5's design made it so it was incompatible with NFC and Wireless charging.

could be wrong, but I thought some people did a breakdown and revealed it.

aerok
Jan 8, 2013, 06:57 PM
I thought the 5's design made it so it was incompatible with NFC and Wireless charging.

could be wrong, but I thought some people did a breakdown and revealed it.

Yeah that's why I mentioned that they would have to change the body again. From what I know, the NFC chip will not work through an aluminium casing. One of the main reason why HTC One X is made of plastic when the One S is metal.

TacticalDesire
Jan 8, 2013, 09:04 PM
Apple can forget the specs. At this point, it's the software holding them back. At least to me.

pod5g
May 15, 2013, 08:37 PM
I selected everything but the 3GS and the retard last option.

ThisIsNotMe
May 15, 2013, 09:53 PM

Most people don't update every version to begin with.
Every 2 years (if not more) on contract is what the majority of people do.

YeahBuddy
May 15, 2013, 10:02 PM

-Siri enhancements
-FaceTime over cellular
-Panorama mode

Dude. iPhone 4S can't take photo's while recording video. That's why I upgraded...

srsub3
May 15, 2013, 10:06 PM
If they implement real multi tasking I thing that iPhone 4 will be out of games....

irDigital0l
May 15, 2013, 11:04 PM
Dude. iPhone 4S can't take photo's while recording video. That's why I upgraded...

1. You upgraded for that one feature?
2. More like Apple purposely didn't include the feature rather than the iPhone 4S being not capable due to hardware/software limitations.

WeegieMac
May 16, 2013, 08:17 AM
Apple can forget the specs. At this point, it's the software holding them back. At least to me.

I agree 100% with this.

At the end of the day we see complaints on here than iOS has "hardly" changed, and it wasn't until iOS 4 and the introduction of home screen wallpapers and drop shadows behind the icons/text that we had a genuine reason for older devices slowing down after a new software update. The iPhone 3G suffered when iOS 4 introduced the aforementioned graphical changes due to it's lack of RAM and slower chipset.

Adding a new feature to the OS shouldn't make stock animations sluggish or stuttery on older devices when returning to the home screen from the Settings app, especially the likes of the 4S and 5 which are Dual Core phones.

I don't for one second think the 5 will show any signs of slowdown with iOS 7, and indeed it wouldn't be too much to assume that should we be moving to a "flat" design means less "strain" with the removal of these drop shadows and textures. Simplier graphics should mean iOS 7, realistically, should be as fast and smooth, if not more so, than iOS 6 on older devices (talking 4S, 5, iPad 2, 3, 4, and mini).

iThinkergoiMac
May 16, 2013, 10:25 PM

I agree... in part.

Apple can't afford to stop developing the hardware. Can you imagine the backlash if Apple announced that they were not going to change the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad at all this year and focus solely on software? That might be a good thing to do, but it would be a fatal mistake Apple's not about to make.

The software is certainly more outdated than the hardware. Apple really needs to push some big changes in iOS 7 or they'll fall even further behind. A GUI refresh is one big thing. Also, I hope to see Apple loosening the reins on iOS in the near future, now that it's become a more mature OS. They've started to already, and I'm interested to see how far they'll go with it.

However, Apple does need to continue to update the hardware. NFC and induction charging would be great (though induction charging does make the portability of charging the phone more cumbersome, unless you can do it either way). While I wasn't super interested in the iPhone 5 (only a year into my contract and there were no compelling features the iPhone 5 had that my 4S didn't), I'm quite interested to see how the 5S is going to turn out.

tekboi
May 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
iphone 4,4s, &5 i'm pretty sure.

and the iPhone4 will have "limited" iOS7 functionality for some reason...

topper24hours
May 16, 2013, 11:57 PM
If they implement real multi tasking I thing that iPhone 4 will be out of games....

Out of curiosity... what do you mean by "real" multitasking? I would like some added multitasking abilities... I do realize that a phone can't and won't multitask like a pc soon, if ever. I mean, just the screen size precludes having seven app windows open at once like I could do on my 27" iMac.. it just stands to reason. The one thing I would like to do that annoys me most is when listening to a music track on YouTube, if you pull down your notification pane, switch to a text, or do ANYTHING at all, it stops playing... How lame! This is true on every Android device and every iOS device. I don't get it. Pandora.. I can shut off my screen. Soundcloud.. I can shut off my screen. That means that the coding is possible (and probably easy). I really would be pleased with more multimedia apps backgrounding.. as the screen being on is the majority of what drains battery. Other than that- I don't know what else it is possible to "multitask" on a phone screen.

tann
May 17, 2013, 07:33 AM

This was a big deal for me too!!!

However the photos aren't full photos which was quite sad, it's just 1920x1080 screen shots of the video basically.

I believe some Android phones now take full photos at the same time as recording so hopefully the next iPhone can take higher res photos at the same time!

amarcus
May 17, 2013, 07:51 AM
My thoughts: iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th gen) users are left out of the fun. iPhone 4 becomes the new iOS7 baseline with limited functionality - it will be the only device left sporting an A4 chip.

Adam

srsub3
May 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
Out of curiosity... what do you mean by "real" multitasking? I would like some added multitasking abilities... I do realize that a phone can't and won't multitask like a pc soon, if ever. I mean, just the screen size precludes having seven app windows open at once like I could do on my 27" iMac.. it just stands to reason. The one thing I would like to do that annoys me most is when listening to a music track on YouTube, if you pull down your notification pane, switch to a text, or do ANYTHING at all, it stops playing... How lame! This is true on every Android device and every iOS device. I don't get it. Pandora.. I can shut off my screen. Soundcloud.. I can shut off my screen. That means that the coding is possible (and probably easy). I really would be pleased with more multimedia apps backgrounding.. as the screen being on is the majority of what drains battery. Other than that- I don't know what else it is possible to "multitask" on a phone screen.

something like switching from a desktop to another with the 4 fingers on OsX....

APlotdevice
May 18, 2013, 02:09 PM
something like switching from a desktop to another with the 4 fingers on OsX....

The iPad has four finger swiping between apps. They beta tested this feature on the iPhone all the way back in 4.3.x, but never implemented it. Probably because it's difficult to fit four fingers on the screen, especially in portrait.

srsub3
May 18, 2013, 03:47 PM
instead of four they can use only three for example.....

Premium1
May 18, 2013, 03:58 PM

and that most likely will be the same thing from the 5-5s. The 5 wont get all the features I can guarantee that.

jacobss
May 18, 2013, 07:20 PM
"iPad mini/iPod touch 5 will NOT receive iOS 7"

Uhm why...

apolloa
May 19, 2013, 07:04 AM
I don't know why the iPad 3 is in this list as it's younger then the iPhone 4S! But anyway all the device on this list will get the iOS7 update apart from the iPhone 3GS which I think will be dropped.

xcvista
May 26, 2013, 10:54 PM
All current latest devices are supported, for certain. This includes iPhone 5, iPod touch 5, iPad 4 and iPad mini.

iPhone 4S and iPad 2 should be supported as well. If not considering the screen size, iPad 2 and iPad mini; as well as iPhone 4S (sans the 3G/GPS module which is *NOT* an integral part of the main logic board) and iPod touch 5, they are essentially the same device.

iPhone 3GS is most certainly dropped. It is even older than iPad 1 which is dropped on release of iOS 6 (this is probably out of consideration of graphics power, as the GPU in A4 may not be powerful enough to drive the iPad display)

iPad 3 could be supported as despite being pushed out of production by iPad 4 (iPad 2 is protected from being pushed out by iPad mini, which is essentially identical to iPad 2 on major hardware parts.) it's hardware is largely similar to the one of iPad 2 (dissect the Ax chip to a CPU and a GPU please, and you will see that between A5 and A5X the only difference is simply two more display cores, which is identical to what A5 already had.).

This leaves iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 in question. Given my previous programming experiences, those single-cored devices are a lot more prone to deadlocks. Given the newly announced iPhone 5S will certainly push iPhone 4 out of sales (and a price tag guess here: iPhone 4S 8/16GB free, iPhone 5 16GB $99, iPhone 5S 16/32/64/128GB $199/299/399/499), and Apple's option of release an 8GB version of iPod touch 5 to replace iPod touch 4, those two devices could be dropped.

And just another guess, we will soon see three-way fat binaries (armv7, v7s and v8) in iOS SDK and devices. A7 processor which is used in iPhone 5S may pick up AArch64 (armv8) architecture. Apple already started implementing armv8 features in a6 (but in 32-bit only) hence the "armv7s" architecture.

xcvista
May 27, 2013, 07:18 AM

That depends on the developer's will. Most developer does not allow that. Technically, I can totally decode the video, and if my app is not at the front stash the video stream and play only the audio through the multitasking.

cmChimera
May 27, 2013, 07:34 AM
Can we merge this with the other topic about the exact same thing?

roadbloc
May 27, 2013, 07:48 AM
Galaxy S4 is bound to get it. :p

pickaxe
May 27, 2013, 08:34 AM
4 will receive it simply because iPhone 4 was the point when Apple really "hit it big" in the international market and a very large percentage of iPhone users are still using the iPhone 4. But they'll handicap it in some way that is actually detrimental to the user (unlike disabling flyover, rofl)

Also Apple is at a point where their brand image is at stake, so they definitely won't be alienating those numerous iPhone 4 users.

blitzer09x87
May 27, 2013, 09:50 AM
iphone: 4, 4S, 5
ipad: 3, 4
ipod touch: 5g

topper24hours
May 27, 2013, 08:15 PM
That depends on the developer's will. Most developer does not allow that. Technically, I can totally decode the video, and if my app is not at the front stash the video stream and play only the audio through the multitasking.

Interesting.. thanks for that. Glad to know that it's possible. The cynic in me thinks that they want eyes on the screen for ad purposes?

bushido
May 30, 2013, 11:53 AM
hey the last bulletpoint is a trap!

kiranmk2
May 30, 2013, 02:30 PM
I'd hope they cut support for the 4 and iPod 4th gen and make the OS fully optimised for dual core chips. Might piss a few people off but the performance increases could be great. The 4S, iPad 2/Mini and other A5 devices could have a lot of life left in them yet!

lolkthxbai
May 30, 2013, 03:25 PM
iOS7 @WWDC2013

-iPhone 3GS: No iOS 7 support.
-iPhone 4: Yes, very limited features, mostly security updates.
-iPhone 4S: Yes, limited features.
-iPhone 5: Yes, all new software features.
-iPhone 5S(?): Yes, all new hardware and software features.

-iPod Touch 4th Gen: No iOS 7 support.
-iPod Touch 16GB: Yes, limited features.
-iPod touch 5th Gen: Yes, limited features.
*The iPod 5th Gen should carry over into next year just like the 4th Gen did.

-iPad 2: No iOS 7 support.
-iPad 3rd Gen: Yes, limited features.
-iPad 4th Gen: Yes, all new software features.
-iPad 5th Gen(?): Yes, all new software features.

-iPad mini: Yes, limited features.
-iPad mini 2nd Gen: Yes, all new software features.

Hey, look at that! I'm an analyst now!

Osullivan1
May 30, 2013, 07:30 PM
Why do people think the iPad 2 wont get iOS 7??!

1. I'm pretty sure it's the most used iPad - why would Apple leave so many millions who, potentially, only bought their iPad 2's within weeks/days of the iOS 7 launch, out in the cold?

2. The iPad 2 has the same internals as the iPod Touch 5G, the iPhone 4S and iPad mini. It does not technically make any sense to end support when they still use the same processors in their latest flagship products.

Therefore, to justify the iPad 2 not getting iOS 7, the iPod Touch 5G, iPhone 4S and iPad Mini would all have to be left out of iOS 7, as they all have (almost) exactly the same processors.

And why would the iPad 3 get iOS 7 and not iPad 2 when they are both A5? Plus, surely they would end support for all A4 devices before they start cutting A5?

The only products I can see being cut from updates are the iPhone 3GS and (maybe) iPod touch 4 because they are both fully discontinued now.

xcvista
May 30, 2013, 09:39 PM
Once again, the to keep or to drop issue is based on pretty much processor.

Samsung S5PC100 processor:
iPhone 3GS: Not enough processing power to drive iOS 7, dropped.

Apple A4 processor:
iPhone 4, iPod touch 4: Not enough processing power to drive iOS 7 on full throttle, limited support.
iPad 1: Not enough graphics power to drive iOS 6, already dropped.

Apple A5 processor (S5L8940, 45nm)
iPhone 4S, iPad 2 (early run 16GB Wi-Fi, all 32/64GB and 3G variants): supported.

Apple A5 processor (S5L8942, 32nm)
iPod touch 5, iPad 2 (iPad2,4 variant, 16GB Wi-Fi after iPad 3 release), iPad mini 1: supported

Apple A5X processor:
iPad 3: supported

Apple A6 processor:
iPhone 5: supported

Apple A6X processor:
iPad 4: supported

pk7
May 31, 2013, 03:20 AM
It has been great to see the overwhelming response in this thread. I share the opinion of a lot of people on here that the iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2/mini and later, and the iPod 5th gen and up will receive iOS 7.

There were a couple of posts I wanted to address.

I selected everything but the 3GS and the retard last option.

"iPad mini/iPod touch 5 will NOT receive iOS 7"

Uhm why...

I find it somewhat tasteless to refer to it as the "retard" last option.

Let me make it very clear right now that these poll options in no way represent my personal views on which devices I think will get upgraded. I simply left the iPhone 5, iPad mini, and iPod touch 5 out as options because those were released a mere 7-8 months ago, and of course they should be getting iOS 7.

The reason I put that option in there is because there has been talk about how the iPad 2 is now almost 2.5 years old, and it shares components with the iPad mini and iPod touch 5. Keep in mind that the iPad 1 was supported for approximately 2.5 years itself. Thus, there was speculation--even in this thread--that the iPad 2, and in turn the iPad mini and iPod touch 5, might be out of luck, or will be receiving a stripped-down version at best. I just wanted to see if anyone else shares that reasoning.

As I clearly said 2 paragraphs ago, that is NOT what I personally believe to be the case. Even Apple guarantees every iOS device at least one major iOS update.

I merely sought out to present an alternate viewpoint for those who were interested.

Appledict
May 31, 2013, 07:57 AM
Full-featured;

- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPod touch 5 (and the new cheaper iPod touch)
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad mini

W/Limited features;

- iPhone 4
- iPad 2

Dropped;

- iPhone 3GS
- iPod touch 4

cambookpro
May 31, 2013, 08:06 AM
Since Apple dropped the 4th gen touch, I'm going to revise what I think will get iOS 7:

Full Support:
iPhone 5
iPhone 4S

iPod touch (5th gen)

iPad 2
iPad (3rd gen)
iPad (4th gen)
iPad mini

Limited features:
iPhone 4

WhackyNinja
May 31, 2013, 11:04 AM
Im not really sure anymore if the iPod Touch 4Gen will get iOS 7 since they discontinued it yesterday. I wouldnt be surprise if it does get iOS 7 though.

pod5g
May 31, 2013, 11:16 AM
I'm revising what I said about the devices getting iOS 7.

All Features
iPhone 5
iPod touch 5G
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad (4th generation)
iPad mini

Most Features
iPhone 4S

Very Few Features
iPhone 4
iPad 2

Dropped
iPhone 3GS
iPod touch 4G

CalmEnvy
May 31, 2013, 11:24 AM
It's hard to say which ones will get all the features. If it's true that Apple is making a cheaper iPhone with a 4" display then I could even see the 4s,4 and 3GS being dropped because they only support 3.5" displays and Apple will be selling only 4" displays. Not sure what would really happen, just have to wait and see.

pod5g
May 31, 2013, 11:34 AM
It's hard to say which ones will get all the features. If it's true that Apple is making a cheaper iPhone with a 4" display then I could even see the 4s,4 and 3GS being dropped because they only support 3.5" displays and Apple will be selling only 4" displays. Not sure what would really happen, just have to wait and see.

The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S are still being sold, so unless Apple suddenly pulls them like it did the iPod touch 4G, they will get iOS 7.