Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
On my new Mac, Image Capture opens automatically when I plug in a memory stick.

This wasn't happening on my old one, and I've never opened Image Capture.

I would always just import pictures and video via Finder...why bother using another application to import pictures?

It seems I can't even preview pictures in Image Capture at full screen...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use LightRoom not Finder because that's where my photos get imported too.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Exactly! Why on Earth does Image Capture exist? It looks pointless to me.

It allows you to import images from dives, scanners, cameras, networks, etc. without all the overhead of iPhoto or other apps. There is also some awesome Automator routines that can be used to automatically import images.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Exactly! Why on Earth does Image Capture exist? It looks pointless to me.

It allows you to import images from dives, scanners, cameras, networks, etc. without all the overhead of iPhoto or other apps. There is also some awesome Automator routines that can be used to automatically import images.

My scanner has since stopped providing updated applications and now it tells its customers to use Image Capture. So in a sense it I have to use it for my scanner but as I mentioned I don't use it for importing images

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
My scanner has since stopped providing updated applications and now it tells its customers to use Image Capture. So in a sense it I have to use it for my scanner but as I mentioned I don't use it for importing images

I don't blame them. Why maintain an app when Apple will do it for them? Image Capture is easy to use. It's a really good app.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't blame them. Why maintain an app when Apple will do it for them? Image Capture is easy to use. It's a really good app.
I guess I fail to see why it's better than simply dragging and dropping images using Finder.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I guess I fail to see why it's better than simply dragging and dropping images using Finder.

To get photos/videos off your iPhone, you can do it via Image Capture (and not Finder). I don't want to sync or use iPhoto (bloatware for me). If I recorded a long video on my iPhone and just want to have it on my Mac, Image Capture is very straight-forward on getting the video without any hassle.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park

It does more than just allow you to import images from a drive. It imports images from pretty much any source (even scanners, iPhones, network drives) and rarely needs drivers to support these actions. Add in Automator hooks and the ability to use IC with AppleScript and it's sweet tool. Most users might never use it (except for maybe scanning) though.

Years ago I worked in a visual communication lab at a college and I wrote all sorts of apps using IC to import and backup images from computers to servers. It really became my go-to tool for such tasks. Since I stopped working at that lab, I really haven't had much of a need for it.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012

Why bother having another application open up when you can just use what's already open; Finder?

Automator routines sounds good though. I've only been able to use Automator to rename a batch of files, I'd love to put it through its paces one day.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Because it does a lot more than that. I use it as the scanning interface for my EPSON scanner. IC allows me to control all the parameters of the scanner directly.

However, it should be possible to stop it from launching when you plug in a "memory stick". Presumably not every USB flash drive? But if OS X thinks the stick is a camera's memory card, then you can control that from iPhoto's preferences.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To get photos/videos off your iPhone, you can do it via Image Capture (and not Finder). I don't want to sync or use iPhoto (bloatware for me). If I recorded a long video on my iPhone and just want to have it on my Mac, Image Capture is very straight-forward on getting the video without any hassle.
I just use Dropbox for getting pics/videos from my iPhone. It works whether I'm plugged in or not, no matter where I am.

I use it as the scanning interface for my EPSON scanner.
My scanner came with its own app, which works extremely well for me. I guess if someone didn't have such an app, IC would be useful.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
How do you drag and drop from a scanner? That's what Image Capture is for and for the few cameras that don't offer drag and drop. iOS devices for instance don't allow you to access the photos on them from finder.

However, for SD/CF/etc cards, I do agree that finder tends to be much easier to use.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012

It would be really useful if Apple would just allow us to show the iOS device in Finder.

That's what happens on Windows Explorer.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Why bother having another application open up when you can just use what's already open; Finder?
Because it does way more than finder. As I said, finder just allows you to copy files. It's not an image importer where you can sync images and grab from multiple source.

I just use Dropbox for getting pics/videos from my iPhone. It works whether I'm plugged in or not, no matter where I am.
I use Dropbox as well, but not everyone wants their images in the cloud.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Unfortunately the app was much more flexible and powerful then image capture - its a step down :( They still maintain a windows version so now all my scanning needs are done by way of windows and synced up through dropbox

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How do you drag and drop from a scanner?
As I said, my scanner came with its own app.
It would be really useful if Apple would just allow us to show the iOS device in Finder.

That's what happens on Windows Explorer.
This may help: iExplorer
I use Dropbox as well, but not everyone wants their images in the cloud.
I understand. I don't make my default image folder public. I only use it to sync between my phone and Mac. I manually select images and put them in another folder if I want to share them with others.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
imagecapture IS great for reasons mentioned above, and easy to disable if you don't want to use it.

i take pics for work regularly, and don't want them in my (personal) iPhoto..i drag from the IC window to a folder on my desktop. done.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ouch. What features did they eliminate?

Mostly the PDF capabilities particularly in scanning multiple documents. Scannign profiles for scanning images versus documents including descreening and unsharp masks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.