PDA

View Full Version : Pebble Smart Watch to Begin Shipping January 23

MacRumors
Jan 9, 2013, 11:35 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/09/pebble-smart-watch-to-begin-shipping-january-23/)

Popular Kickstarter smart watch project Pebble (http://getpebble.com), which broke records by raising over $10 million in its funding push, has announced at CES today that the device will begin shipping to Kickstarter backers on January 23. With over 85,000 orders placed, it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to fulfill the Kickstarter orders, after which the watch will be available for general sale.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/pebble_watches.jpg
Image from Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/pebble-smartwatch-hands-on-video/)
Pebble is just one of a growing number of smart watches, and Apple has even been rumored to be working on its own project (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/27/apple-and-intel-working-on-bluetooth-smart-watch-for-2013-launch/). But Pebble's relatively large e-paper display and an API for app developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/02/runkeeper-is-pebbles-first-third-party-partner/) have generated considerable buzz for the project.

Pebble supports both iOS and Android devices via low-power Bluetooth 4.0, with iOS devices requiring a minimum of iOS 5 for basic compatibility and iOS 6 for the full set of features. When paired with an iOS 6 device, Pebble can display many of the alerts that typically pop up in Notification Center. Pebble is also working on building out a cloud infrastructure that would allow users to sign in to a web site or web app with their Pebble accounts and receive notifications from the site pushed to their watches.

Article Link: Pebble Smart Watch to Begin Shipping January 23 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/09/pebble-smart-watch-to-begin-shipping-january-23/)

needfx
Jan 9, 2013, 11:42 AM
that's not too bad in comparison to the other behemoths

ThatsMrsGeek2U
Jan 9, 2013, 11:43 AM
I'm finally coming around to the idea of a watch again, finding that I can't have my phone laying around with young kids.

Allenbf
Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 AM
I've been looking forward to this announcement. I wasn't a backer, but I'm on board now. This looks awesome.

So if I ordered today, I expect I wouldn't get until April? Ughhhhh.

JaySoul
Jan 9, 2013, 11:46 AM
Judging from the pic, it will probably ship on 23rd September.

jclardy
Jan 9, 2013, 11:49 AM
It is looking pretty nice. I like some of the minimalist watch faces and the music controls will be great.

I am hoping that they are able to get some good app support, runkeeper will be great as I always keep my phone on me during my runs.

Would be really nice if there was some kind pedometer app that integrates with a service like Fitbit.

needfx
Jan 9, 2013, 11:50 AM

that's very perceptive

billyt1963
Jan 9, 2013, 11:53 AM
In this case the nine twenty three is the time. There are a few different ways to display time. I think I actually like that one.

Billy

lee14160
Jan 9, 2013, 11:54 AM
No style. May be a nice to have, but so ha, plain.

STiNG Operation
Jan 9, 2013, 12:03 PM
No style. May be a nice to have, but so ha, plain.

That and the display doesn't seem very nice either.

samcraig
Jan 9, 2013, 12:11 PM

Yes. It's not retina. It's e-ink.

I think it's a great project - and certainly seems to be better than previously released similar-type watches.

anubis
Jan 9, 2013, 12:13 PM

I like the e-ink display because it is always on. Any of the other watches that are based on an LCD display, although higher resolution, are always off. You have to push a button to turn the screen on every time, because otherwise the battery wouldn't last more than a few minutes.

ingramLee
Jan 9, 2013, 12:14 PM
but I mean... must we be THAT connected to our technology??? :confused:

avanpelt
Jan 9, 2013, 12:34 PM
I like the idea of this watch, but I'll wait until at least version 2.0 before I pull the trigger.

The next iteration will get some of the 1.0 bugs ironed out and might offer some different band choices. I'd like to see this technology in a watch with a round face and stainless steel band.

Blomkvist
Jan 9, 2013, 12:39 PM
I am a backer on the Kickstarter campaign...very excited to get this in my hands and try it out.

I am hoping that some developer comes out with a fitbit/fuelband like application for this watch. It seems to me that this functionality would best fit into a sports watch...and I think Pebble would be a great platform.

Ashyukun
Jan 9, 2013, 12:47 PM
I like the e-ink display because it is always on. Any of the other watches that are based on an LCD display, although higher resolution, are always off. You have to push a button to turn the screen on every time, because otherwise the battery wouldn't last more than a few minutes.

This is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to getting mine- I LOVE my Nano watch, but hate having to tap the button to turn the display on to see the time.

I am hoping that some developer comes out with a fitbit/fuelband like application for this watch. It seems to me that this functionality would best fit into a sports watch...and I think Pebble would be a great platform.

I'm also really hoping this is one of the launch apps that is available for it- that and a sleep-cycle tracker/alarm. If done well it could destroy the other fitness trackers just for how much else you can do with the Pebble.

I'm glad we finally have a ship date for them- but I'm also worried about how long it will be until mine actually ships out. Definitely curious as to what priority order they'll use for shipping them. Order in which the backers signed up? Single-unit order first? Preference to multiple-unit orders? I'm unfortunately figuring I won't get mine until well into March. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come in around my birthday. :P

Menel
Jan 9, 2013, 12:51 PM

Hand in your nerd/geek card.

peskaa
Jan 9, 2013, 01:00 PM
Ahhh finally. Eagerly awaiting my Pebble in black, it has been a long long wait since the Kickstarter closed.

needfx
Jan 9, 2013, 01:06 PM
Hand in your nerd/geek card.

lolz-worthy comment commentary!!

phr0ze
Jan 9, 2013, 01:10 PM
I like the idea, but I don't think I want to take off my existing time piece. Very tough for the geek in me.

I'll wait for the next gen and more integration/acceptance before I consider again.

Scooz
Jan 9, 2013, 01:13 PM

You just destroyed my idea of "price after tax"...

d-klumpp
Jan 9, 2013, 01:19 PM
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone 末 a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave

Chupa Chupa
Jan 9, 2013, 01:21 PM

I think it's a great project - and certainly seems to be better than previously released similar-type watches.

Technically and legally, the screen is e-paper, not e-ink. Similar, but different. The screen in the Pebble is manufactured by Sharp and doesn't use e-Ink's technology and isn't licensed by e-Ink.

Looking forward to getting mine. Once they were Xmas gifts, now birthday, Mother's Day and graduation gifts. Funny how the timing of it all worked out in the end. That is, of course, unless Apple announces a watch this Spring. Then I'm doomed again.

chrisrosemusic1
Jan 9, 2013, 01:24 PM
I missed the kickstarter but I pre ordered as soon as I saw the potential.

It's an amazingly cheap and cool way to be connected and personalise the whole 'watch' experience.

There are other more premium smart watches but they are stupid prices.

I am quite happy to give them $119 to see how much I enjoy having it. Shame I've got to wait another 2 or 3 months though by the looks of it!

Geckotek
Jan 9, 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm glad we finally have a ship date for them- but I'm also worried about how long it will be until mine actually ships out. Definitely curious as to what priority order they'll use for shipping them. Order in which the backers signed up? Single-unit order first? Preference to multiple-unit orders?

Wondering the same myself. Hoping I get included on some of the earlier shipments so I get it before I move.

Ahhh finally. Eagerly awaiting my Pebble in black, it has been a long long wait since the Kickstarter closed.

Agreed!

Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone 末 a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave

This conversation again? Do we really need to re-hash this everytime another post is made about a smart watch?

drummingcraig
Jan 9, 2013, 01:41 PM
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone –– a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Dave

Feel better now?

----------

I've been looking forward to this announcement. I wasn't a backer, but I'm on board now. This looks awesome.

So if I ordered today, I expect I wouldn't get until April? Ughhhhh.

Pretty sure that they aren't accepting orders anymore. Goal is to fulfill all of the original orders generated thru Kickstarter and only then will they reopen sales to the general public. So more likely you'd need to wait a couple months before even being able to get an order in, and I am betting that they will get swamped again, resulting in longer then expected delivery times.

notjustjay
Jan 9, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm very interested in this watch and will be checking it out again when it goes out for general sale.

I think e-ink makes a lot of sense for this type of device. Not like you're going to watch video or color photographs on a tiny screen anyway. I value battery life and readability over anything else.

Allenbf
Jan 9, 2013, 01:44 PM
Feel better now?

----------

Pretty sure that they aren't accepting orders anymore. Goal is to fulfill all of the original orders generated thru Kickstarter and only then will they reopen sales to the general public. So more likely you'd need to wait a couple months before even being able to get an order in, and I am betting that they will get swamped again, resulting in longer then expected delivery times.

Site is still accepting orders, though.

noobinator
Jan 9, 2013, 01:45 PM
I have a phosphor e-ink watch already and it's pretty nice. Definitely signing up for the pre-order on this one.

TLewis
Jan 9, 2013, 01:45 PM
The next iteration will get some of the 1.0 bugs ironed out and might offer some different band choices.
The currrent rev intentionally uses a standard-size watch band so that you can change it yourself. Why be limited by what the manufacturer offers, when you can put on whatever you can find? From the FAQ:Q. Can I replace the bands?
A. Yes, Pebble is designed to fit most 22mm watch bands.

Blomkvist
Jan 9, 2013, 01:50 PM
For those wondering about order of shipment for backers...it was stated in the presentation that they would ship in order of backer date. In other words, those that backed on day one of the Kickstarter will ship out first and so on.

TLewis
Jan 9, 2013, 01:53 PM
As others have said, their site is still accepting orders. However, they say that their manufacturing capacity is something like 15000 watches/week, and so it'll take several weeks to ship all of the kickstarter backer orders. So, it'll probably be early/mid-March before any website orders will ship. If they're gotten a lot of website orders, it could be April or later before any order placed now may ship.

samcraig
Jan 9, 2013, 02:01 PM
Technically and legally, the screen is e-paper, not e-ink. Similar, but different. The screen in the Pebble is manufactured by Sharp and doesn't use e-Ink's technology and isn't licensed by e-Ink.

Right. Nonetheless - my opinion of the project stands in high regard. And you'll have to give us a review when you get yours!

92jlee
Jan 9, 2013, 02:10 PM
I do need a replacement for my both dead MBW 150 and 100 executive edition. The OLED displays have died and no one on the web can replace them. The Sony smartwatch or whatever it was called was terrible!

knemonic
Jan 9, 2013, 02:20 PM
Super stoked and looking great. I can't wait to get mine.

It is very obvious though, the future of these is going to have to be touched based, because it is hard to do water resistance without tough to push buttons.

Maybe this is where Apple will excel. I think if Apple took their touch technology, combined it with an older version of the nano, which could easily be a monochrome screen, and you would have a great product imo. I know everyone would argue it needs to be color but why?

hofer
Jan 9, 2013, 02:23 PM
Any word on the battery and the battery life? Is it replaceable? Will it have to be charged every night?

Cougarcat
Jan 9, 2013, 02:31 PM
Any word on the battery and the battery life? Is it replaceable? Will it have to be charged every night?

Once a week.

They are working with runkeeper, but the integration won't be ready for launch.

I got in on the early bird $99 price, so I should get mine soon after the 23rd. I'll be sure to post a review here.

phr0ze
Jan 9, 2013, 02:33 PM

Dave

Again, the electronic watch goes back to the geek in us. Although I'm not ready to give up my 'real' watch, this does have an interest.

fiddlestyx
Jan 9, 2013, 02:39 PM
I am curious to see where these go. I'd be interested in them if they integrated some sort of sport function app, whether partnering with Nike+ or the likes.

MrDc2
Jan 9, 2013, 02:47 PM
I'm finally coming around to the idea of a watch again, finding that I can't have my phone laying around with young kids.

Sucks don't it?

I have two kids... I can't leave my phones out without either A) getting baby drool all over the phone and potentially having it dead the next time it turns up or B) changed settings, random applications added all over my screen and a ton of unwanted outgoing texts/emails. Darn four year olds.

shadowbird423
Jan 9, 2013, 03:27 PM

Dave

As someone who wears a mechanical watch every day, it pains me to say this; you sound elitist. Not everyone can afford/wants one (though they are awesome, and I got mine for a song). Different strokes for different folks.

samcraig
Jan 9, 2013, 03:46 PM
I am curious to see where these go. I'd be interested in them if they integrated some sort of sport function app, whether partnering with Nike+ or the likes.

Well I know RunKeeperPro already has an app developed for it

mrxak
Jan 9, 2013, 03:56 PM

The first true cyborgs have already been born. Get on board or become obsolete.

Tomacorno
Jan 9, 2013, 04:00 PM
I was one of the backers and have been waiting for this for awhile. A nice thing that has happened in the months since backing is that they have continued to add and improve the device. The shipping versions will have magnetometers and ambient light sensors - which were not part of the original description. It has a magnetic charging cable as a way to keep it water resistant. It will also support SMS on the iPhone which, in the beginning was something that they could not do. But with iOS 6 and latest Bluetooth, now they can. I look forward to the apps and updates that will be available. I mainly wanted this thing to get alerts in places where I did not want to get out my phone and to control my music when cutting grass or working out. In both cases, pulling my phone out of my pocket or off an arm band were a pain in the keester.

fiddlestyx
Jan 9, 2013, 04:20 PM
Well I know RunKeeperPro already has an app developed for it

Good to know. I've never used that app so I'll have to check it out.

olowott
Jan 9, 2013, 04:36 PM
Looks Really interesting, will wait for the reviews :cool: and also what apple is cooking up

lshaner
Jan 9, 2013, 05:10 PM
Pebble -- a product that wouldn't exist if Apple had simply included similar features as built-ins on the 7th generation iPod Nano, utilizing Bluetooth Smart as a "tether" for connecting to your iPhone.

soundr
Jan 9, 2013, 05:25 PM
When the kickstarter campaign was announced I was tempted, but I wasn't willing to pay so far in advance. I decided I would pay the full price when the device was released, if it was as good as promised. As the release date was delayed I was glad about my decision. I would like to try this out, but I'll wait until they are readily available. Others can be beta testers, and I'll see what other devices are announced. This does look like the best option so far.

GekkePrutser
Jan 9, 2013, 05:31 PM
I'm glad we finally have a ship date for them- but I'm also worried about how long it will be until mine actually ships out. Definitely curious as to what priority order they'll use for shipping them. Order in which the backers signed up? Single-unit order first? Preference to multiple-unit orders? I'm unfortunately figuring I won't get mine until well into March. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come in around my birthday. :P

They said they'd ship them in the order of backing. Also, they said they'll be making 15000 per day, and there were only 86000 ordered or so as far as I remember, so they should be able to make them all within a week. Not sure whether they'll be able to ship that many of course. Hope they thought of that.

dinggus
Jan 9, 2013, 05:35 PM

I think this one beats it.

http://limitlessdroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/im-watch-1.jpg

Estes
Jan 9, 2013, 06:00 PM
I'm an original backer and have been looking forward to this for awhile. My car uses bluetooth to play songs on my iTunes over the radio; I wonder how having my iPhone linked to two devices at one time will work. Does anyone know if that drains the battery even quicker?

drummingcraig
Jan 9, 2013, 06:27 PM

Image (http://limitlessdroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/im-watch-1.jpg)

Not for $400 it doesn't.

carlgo
Jan 9, 2013, 06:41 PM
I was just playing with an inherited watch, over 100 years old, with lots of nifty gears and moving things. What a work of industrial art! It is a Waltham and there are photos of the factory with hundreds of skilled Americans sitting at workstations, no cubicles, making these not an assembly line either, each one made pridefully by one person.

It still works and keeps good time despite not being wound in at least 50 years.

A electronic watch, made in China, worthless electronic debris in a couple of years...looks like it cost $12 at WallofChinaMart...just not the same thing.

And would any good watch be called a "Pebble"? Sound like a cartoon or sugary breakfast food for unparented children. Well, maybe it is.

What watch would the Most Interesting Man in the World wear? I don't know, but it would have gears and be made of blingy metal.

dinggus
Jan 9, 2013, 06:50 PM
Not for $400 it doesn't.

If you seen the watch thread in the photo section, people spend around $400 on a watch. Why not spend $400 on something like this? I think the Pebble looks ugly. But to each his own, it's not my money. I just want to read the reviews.

snoozy355
Jan 9, 2013, 07:13 PM
It's been a long wait.

I'm hoping it's not like the MetaWatch launch, which was another Bluetooth-capable watch launched on KS (I backed both).

Great watch and the hardware was delivered on time, but sadly the software has been beta quality and we're still waiting for an upgrade to unlock promised functionality.

Cougarcat
Jan 9, 2013, 07:23 PM

Image (http://limitlessdroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/im-watch-1.jpg)

It's been getting really abysmal (http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01/09/ces-2013-hands-on-with-the-im-watch-color-a-400-brick-of-failure-that-straps-to-your-wrist/) reviews (http://captainevo.tumblr.com/post/35030866978/im-watch-review-i-waited-7-months-for-this).

TLewis
Jan 9, 2013, 08:24 PM
It's been getting really abysmal (http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01/09/ces-2013-hands-on-with-the-im-watch-color-a-400-brick-of-failure-that-straps-to-your-wrist/) reviews (http://captainevo.tumblr.com/post/35030866978/im-watch-review-i-waited-7-months-for-this).
(Note: above, "It" refers to the $400 "I'm watch", and not the pebble.)

On the other hand, Engadget seems to really like the pebble: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/pebble-smartwatch-hands-on-video/

rdlink
Jan 9, 2013, 09:00 PM

Dave

One use: On a 35 mile bike ride. My iPhone is in my Camelbak. I want to see my speed, distance and heart rate. I can just glance at the watch. Later in the ride, I get a text. I can look at it to see whether it's worth stopping to reply. Or a phone call. I can see who's calling to see if I want to stop and answer, or even call back right away. That's why I backed it. Will it replace my Movado on work days? No. But it has its uses.

drummingcraig
Jan 9, 2013, 10:52 PM
If you seen the watch thread in the photo section, people spend around $400 on a watch. Why not spend $400 on something like this? I think the Pebble looks ugly. But to each his own, it's not my money. I just want to read the reviews.

I understand spending $400 on a designer wristwatch. However does this look $200 nicer/different than the Pebble? :confused: I know...to each his own.

TLewis
Jan 10, 2013, 03:17 AM
Also, they said they'll be making 15000 per day, and there were only 86000 ordered or so as far as I remember, so they should be able to make them all within a week.
Uh, it's 15000 per week, not per day:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/posts/346111
It's going to take them several weeks to ship all of the watches to the backers, and they say as much.

----------

While the pebble isn't exactly the best-looking watch, I think it's OK.

(Besides, you really need to read the reviews of that "$400 watch". :eek:)

harlex
Jan 10, 2013, 04:04 AM
I suppose as it is partly the demise of Jessops going into administration that people are using their phones to take pictures, look out Rolex, Cartier etc they now have a watch that acts as a computer as well.

What the hell would one want from this idea after all most have a phone that can do the job.

looking forward to working with my spreadsheet on it and WATCHing my 3 hour HD film, oh I forgot great for field editing a video or what about editing photographs in CS6

Popeye206
Jan 10, 2013, 08:09 AM
I'll wait for the next round of watches to see if they're worth it. The benefits are minimal and the style for most are ugly. This is probably the nicest one I've seen... came close last summer to "investing" to get one early, but decided to wait and see.

notjustjay
Jan 10, 2013, 09:42 AM
And would any good watch be called a "Pebble"? Sound like a cartoon or sugary breakfast food for unparented children. Well, maybe it is.

Yeah, and "Apple" sounds like a fruit company. Doesn't stop any of us...

Blomkvist
Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
I was just playing with an inherited watch, over 100 years old, with lots of nifty gears and moving things. What a work of industrial art! It is a Waltham and there are photos of the factory with hundreds of skilled Americans sitting at workstations, no cubicles, making these not an assembly line either, each one made pridefully by one person.

It still works and keeps good time despite not being wound in at least 50 years.

A electronic watch, made in China, worthless electronic debris in a couple of years...looks like it cost $12 at WallofChinaMart...just not the same thing.

What watch would the Most Interesting Man in the World wear? I don't know, but it would have gears and be made of blingy metal.

Thank you for your perspective on the digital watch. I backed the Pebble and obviously I am unworthy to own a "true" timepiece. Troll much?

GekkePrutser
Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
Uh, it's 15000 per week, not per day:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/posts/346111
It's going to take them several weeks to ship all of the watches to the backers, and they say as much.[COLOR="#808080"]

You're right! I didn't realize this. I wasn't able to watch the press conference myself, just watched some live blogs about it so I must have misunderstood.

psac
Jan 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
This looks SOOOOO much better (in both looks and functionality) than the Coocoo watch from the other day.

RemE
Jan 10, 2013, 03:46 PM
I was onboard early and am looking forward to getting mine. I really like the idea of getting info without having to dig out the phone. I watched the press conf and was pleased with all of the future potential built into the hardware. They initially are using BT 2.1 protocol but have a BT 4 radio in it so hopefully the 1 week run time will get even better as they optimize the setup.

I saw the audio controls and hope that they will also work when a BT headset is also in use? Otherwise wired headset would be needed, hopefully not.

The Italian Im watch looks cool but the price and 24hour runtime plus headphone type jack all don't do much for me in a wrist worn device.

Dagless
Jan 10, 2013, 04:57 PM
I'm really excited for this, especially after reading about the final features (the charge system, magnetometer etc). I just hope it works as well as it should - it should be a great partner device for an iPhone.

coolspot18
Jan 10, 2013, 05:45 PM

If only the swiss incorporated some new technologies into their mechanical watches... like radio control. A fully synchronized and accurate watch is an amazing thing (at least to me).

I really hate ensuring a watch is wound up (kinetic or otherwise) or the fact mechanical watches drift quite a bit.

As for the Pebble, they should have incorporated an induction charger instead. Plugging in a cable every couple of days seems to be such a hassle.

cfs112
Jan 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
Early reviews look good, I like the concept of an i-Watch, Apple will have this next year after the Apple television :)

ultra7k
Jan 10, 2013, 06:28 PM
Guess since I'm an original backer I should be getting it fairly soon after they start shipping.

Over time i've had doubts about this, and at times wanted to cancel my order (but it was too late) so i'll give it a shot and see what it's about since i've already committed my money to this.

dagger01
Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
I just caught this article here and on the place where they got the image from. The thing that struck me was this:

Has one of these "smart watches" ever had enough market to even recoup R&D costs?

I'm going to go do some research on that myself, but every single one of these things has flopped. Sure, they have their fans, but their the target market anyway. The problem is it's never a large enough market to perpetuate a device!

jdusoccer12
Jan 10, 2013, 09:19 PM
I personally am a backer and I am pretty excited about this device. I am a college student so I am excited to use this while sitting in class to see if it is worth it to dig my phone out to reply to a text I just got.

4mat
Jan 10, 2013, 11:46 PM

Dave

I am a little confused by your point. I wasn't aware that all mechanical watch makers were going out of business and the Pebble would be the only kind of watch for sale anywhere. Oh wait, the Pebble is just another option for consumers and those who don't want one can show this by simply not buying one. Sure glad we worked that out.

ItsWelshy
Jan 11, 2013, 03:40 AM
Does this run on Android software?

I dont want any of that ***** in my house...

bearda
Jan 11, 2013, 07:00 AM
Does this run on Android software?

I dont want any of that ***** in my house...

No, but the I'm watch does.

Tomacorno
Jan 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
Guess since I'm an original backer I should be getting it fairly soon after they start shipping.

Over time i've had doubts about this, and at times wanted to cancel my order (but it was too late) so i'll give it a shot and see what it's about since i've already committed my money to this.

Mine has been paid for for so long it will feel like getting a free gift. :D

Sony311
Jan 11, 2013, 09:22 AM
Can't wait to get mine! one of the 1st of the 1st 100 backers!!! woohoo! Please let it be the Limited Edition one....

----------

I hope you drop your watch...
:rolleyes:

Thanks for adding any substance to the forum.

----------

They are still taking PRE-Orders.

Feel better now?

----------

darkslide29
Jan 11, 2013, 10:29 AM
LOL :rolleyes:

mathewr
Jan 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
I personally am a backer and I am pretty excited about this device. I am a college student so I am excited to use this while sitting in class to see if it is worth it to dig my phone out to reply to a text I just got.

yup. these are my thoughts exactly.

Lynyrdskynyrd
Jan 31, 2013, 07:24 AM
I would not preorder!!!!! I have been a backer of this watch for almost a year and Eric has done nothing but lie to all of us!!! He announced at CES that shipping would start twice a week and that they were already in MP for 2 weeks. He said there would be 15,000 watches produce per week and they are only doing a 1000 per day. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY ANY OF YOUR MONEY!!!!

dweezle3
Jan 31, 2013, 07:29 AM
I would not preorder!!!!! I have been a backer of this watch for almost a year and Eric has done nothing but lie to all of us!!! He announced at CES that shipping would start twice a week and that they were already in MP for 2 weeks. He said there would be 15,000 watches produce per week and they are only doing a 1000 per day. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY ANY OF YOUR MONEY!!!!

Wait, so you're upset that you're getting one of the most technologically innovative watches in years, both sooner and for less money than most people, and you're still mad that it's had a few hiccups in production? At least you're getting one :rolleyes:

Lynyrdskynyrd
Jan 31, 2013, 07:32 AM
I'm upset because of all the lies!!!! If Eric and his so called team were honest with his backers, then that would be fine.

dweezle3
Jan 31, 2013, 07:36 AM
Haha well they're certainly a team at least. But in reference to your comment that they're not producing on schedule - they can't anticipate everything. They thought it would be a couple thousand orders, not 85,000, remember? They've had to completely change their strategy on almost everything. Granted, those plans have solidified a bit more as time went on, but not everything works up to expectations. Eric can't give you any values other than what his production plant manager has told him they should be capable of, so is it really his fault?

uknowimright
Jan 31, 2013, 07:46 AM
been thinking of pre-ordering one, but I may wait until gen 2

p.s. if I were them I would fire whoever is responsible for the low res pics on their site, it makes the watch look less appealing than it really is

Geckotek
Jan 31, 2013, 09:22 AM

Oh lord, he's left the Pebble forums to come whine in here. :rolleyes:

----------

I'm upset because of all the lies!!!! If Eric and his so called team were honest with his backers, then that would be fine.

Lack of information, perhaps. Lies, I see nothing that indicates a lie.

Lynyrdskynyrd
Jan 31, 2013, 09:27 AM
Eric knew in May2012 that he had 85000 backers. This is what happens when you go overseas to get your product made. TELL THE TRUTH ONCE IN A WHILE ERIC!!!!

TLewis
Jan 31, 2013, 01:17 PM
lol, while the company has severe problems with setting expectations, I'm still fairly happy with them.

(Hehe, if you think it's bad now, note that the Chinese New Year is almost upon us, and that might cause production to grind to a halt for three weeks. :eek: )

Geckotek
Jan 31, 2013, 09:40 PM
Eric knew in May2012 that he had 85000 backers. This is what happens when you go overseas to get your product made. TELL THE TRUTH ONCE IN A WHILE ERIC!!!!

Still no lies revealed. It's not like he instantly knew how long it would take to fulfill 85,000 orders. Your cries are pointless.

----------

lol, while the company has severe problems with setting expectations, I'm still fairly happy with them.

(Hehe, if you think it's bad now, note that the Chinese New Year is almost upon us, and that might cause production to grind to a halt for three weeks. :eek: )

I'm sure they know this and the mid-March estimate is based on it. If Eric acts surprised when it happens, THEN I'll agree he's a liar.

Geckotek
Feb 1, 2013, 11:11 AM

https://twitter.com/Pebble/status/297237887932579840

akonikui
Feb 2, 2013, 12:19 PM
Oh lord, he's left the Pebble forums to come whine in here. :rolleyes:

Grand total of 3 posts from him and he joined 1/31/13. Looks like he left the pebble forums solely to complain somewhere else.

This is their first mass production run - there are going to be hiccups with production speed and shipping. It's not Apple - they don't have these stockpiled in the millions somewhere.

I was an early backer, don't have my watch yet, and can't wait to get it! :D
That doesn't mean I'm not refreshing my account page every 15 minutes though...

curmudgeon32
Feb 14, 2013, 11:40 AM

Agreed. It seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Haha, yeah except my $30 quartz Timex keeps better time than your mechanical watch, and I don't hang out with snobs so I don't get embarrassed wearing it.

TLewis
Feb 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'm sure they know this and the mid-March estimate is based on it. If Eric acts surprised when it happens, THEN I'll agree he's a liar.

----------
https://twitter.com/Pebble/status/297237887932579840

While I'm sure he's not a liar, I think pebble has done a poor job of setting expectations and (now) communications. Their ispebbleshipping site hasn't been updated in a couple of days, and shipping appears to be flatlined because of that (in all fairness, some pebbles were allegedly shipped out yesterday).

Geckotek
Feb 18, 2013, 11:11 AM
While I'm sure he's not a liar, I think pebble has done a poor job of setting expectations and (now) communications. Their ispebbleshipping site hasn't been updated in a couple of days, and shipping appears to be flatlined because of that (in all fairness, some pebbles were allegedly shipped out yesterday).

Yeah, they finally updated....but seems they only shipped one time during the week. I'm guessing they are still experiencing customs issues.

And I do agree with the lack of communication. Anybody that blames this on their first time...BS. This isn't their first product, but perhaps it is the first time at this scale. Either way, the basics of project management apply and they I do believe they've known for a long time what their timeline would be.