PDA

View Full Version : what would your ultimate mac laptop be like?

jefhatfield
Dec 4, 2002, 05:32 PM
to me i would cross the ibook and the tibook and find the best possible machine for my needs

i like the ibooks small footprint so my machine would have a 13" active matrix lcd

i like the ibook's lightness so my ultimate machine would be even lighter than the ibook by a pound so it would be 3.9 lbs with battery

i like the tibook's shell so the machine would be made of titanium

i also like the tibook's thin form factor so my ultimate laptop would be .80" inches or thinner

all this is possible so far...maybe at a great price, but possible

now for the impossible which will be possible in the future

my ultimate mac laptop would have a G4 processor using .09 micron technology so i would get great battery time and the machine would never really get that hot so i could wear shorts on this titanium machine

also this ultimate laptop would have a 128 MB DDR video card by nvidia or ati

and the system bus would be faster and the machine's main memory would be DDR and have a 2GB limit

and how much for this machine?

under two grand

is it possible in 2003? 2004? ever?

howard
Dec 4, 2002, 05:57 PM
mine would be pretty much the same as yours except keep the ibook casing...i like it better than the titanium...and also it would be nice if it had the dual moniter support like the tibook not to mention the dvd-r drive.

sageenos
Dec 4, 2002, 06:08 PM
I'm happy with my Ti 667...except for the heat problem, but it's actually kinda nice on a cold day. I really like the new line of powerbooks...but of course I just had to buy mine a month before they came out.

Dream laptop...hmm...

Something along the lines of the Powerbook's design, some way of keeping the screen free of marks from the keyboard and trackpad (slight adjustment in spacing between screen and keyboard might work), waterproof (just in case)

On the inside...dual proc (if cooling and battery life allow), 2 gigs of ddr400, top of the line video card (whatever brand, just as long as it flys), better speakers....mini-subwoofer would be cool...if it could fit somewhere in such a small form factor

Over Achiever
Dec 4, 2002, 06:14 PM
I'll go the general route:

As light and portable possible with the best, fastest preformance possible. :D

Right now my GHz superdrive with Radeon 9000 is the ultimate laptop IMO. Love the 1" thinness, large 15" screen, good speed and graphics and the fact I can burn DVDs. Its perfect for me.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 4, 2002, 06:14 PM
TiPB design, better speakers, larger screen 16" or maybe a little more, 2 Gigs of RAM, 64 Megs VRAM, maybe even 128 Megs, Dual CPUs, faster bus 400MHz+. That would be a great machine and something we won't see for another couple years. Until then my regular TiPB will do the job.

D

pantagruel
Dec 4, 2002, 09:38 PM
I want an iBook (much favored as far as looks go) with a touch screen. that would be sweet.:D :D

Wano
Dec 4, 2002, 10:09 PM
my dream setup:

Powerbook G4 w/dual 1Ghz
1GB ddram
60GB internal had drive, plus a 120GB firewire
128mb ddram video card
airport card/w base station
two fire wire ports
10hour battery
22" cinema display
final cut pro 4
superdrive
pro speakers and iSub
pro mouse
and post-op ez-keyboard for FCP

hopefully the dual processors and ddr ram would be something we could expect in the new line in may!

jkojima
Dec 4, 2002, 10:54 PM
... you mean aside from the PB867 I have on order? :-)

My ideal Mac laptop would have an 8-10 hour battery life. Picture a TiBook but without the optical drive. In its place would be a second high-capacity battery. (If Apple could find a way to integrate a modular bay back in to the PowerBook design, without increasing the size or weight, I'd be all for that.)

It would also have integrated 802.11a wireless networking and bluetooth standard.

The resolution of the screen would be significantly improved, such that the effective dpi is somewhere near 200dpi (approaching print quality.) The Mac OS would be updated to be completely vector-based (think Flash) so it could scale to the enhanced resolution.

Want 5-10 years out?

Purely solid-state architecture. Absolutely no moving parts whatsoever, with instant-on/instant-suspend capability like a Palm or PocketPC. Optical drives dissapear from the face of the planet - file exchange goes completely IP and completely wireless, and if physical media still exist, the defacto standard is some form of miniature flash memory. Recharge cycles are measured in days, not minutes. The unit weighs less than 4 pounds despite a large display. Built-in video lenses are standard, just like microphones are today.

Oh, and you can have it custom-painted much like some people are doing with their iBooks. Personally I'd want a red laptop with yellow hot rod flames.

arogge
Dec 4, 2002, 11:09 PM
I would like to see a ruggedized PowerBook that is waterproof, dust-proof, resistant to a wide range of temperatures and high humidity, is shock-resistant, has a touchscreen LCD that is daylight-readable, and has a backlit keyboard. Added to that are the features missing from the current ruggedized laptops available today: long battery life, professional graphics, and built-in high-fidelity sound and video recording capabilities.

pimentoLoaf
Dec 4, 2002, 11:40 PM
A platinum 12" iBook with gold keys and silver accents, running at 1ghz and with the entire Adobe product line contained in ROM.

:cool: :eek:

benixau
Dec 4, 2002, 11:55 PM
I'm lazy and didnt read all of the other posts so here is my dream laptop from apple:

TiBook -
DP 1Ghz
512MB DDR-RAM
80GB Fujitsu HDD
SuperDrive
Current Screen
Current 1Ghz price
Curent Case Size
Current Weight (maybe a lil more for DP)
Current Heat
Water Cooling

WannabeSQ
Dec 5, 2002, 12:37 AM
let's see, other than uber fast, uber small, uber light, uber everything, I'd like a laptop that can be usefully upgraded. I mean, they need to develop a whole mini pci mini agp lineup and allow laptop users to put in new motherboards, drives, and everything else. That is the biggest problem I see with laptops these days, they get outdated as fast as desktops (maybe a bit slower, but still) and you cant upgrade much more than ram and HD.

to sum up, a generalized form factor motherboard, with micro pci and micro agp slots. How cool would it be to upgrade a laptop in the same way you can a desktop! That makes almost everyone's dream laptop possible, dual processors, more ram, faster bus speeds etc. Im sure we will get this some day, i just hope its possible before we get nanocomputers injected into our bloodstream or eye implants with tiny lcds.....

BenderBot1138
Dec 5, 2002, 12:45 AM
Since it hasn't been said yet... High Definition Display.

Cool posts above... all really interesting.

:cool:

Oh yea, almost forgot the most important thing: It would have an autographed picture of Steve Jobs in it :D

Hawthorne
Dec 5, 2002, 12:59 AM
- Processor as fast as current top of the line PowerMac
- Radeon 9000 (at least)
- Bluetooth, 802.11g built-in
- Modular bays (Had those on my Lombard, and I miss them)
- 2x Superdrive
- 8hrs battery life
- Powerbook form factor and screen. I like my iBook, but the Powerbook's screen is just wonderful.
- Foldover keyboard like the tablet PC's

benixau
Dec 5, 2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by BenderBot1138

Oh yea, almost forgot the most important thing: It would have an autographed picture of Steve Jobs in it :D

wow, then i could look at him everyday for the next 5 yrs. what a dream ....

wakes up and realises he is having a nightmare. if it had that then i think i would be crazy. GREAT IDEA, lets send one to good ol' bill.

MacBandit
Dec 5, 2002, 01:42 AM
It would be the size of a postage stamp but could be stretched uniformly to the size needed at the moment. It would also have the power of a high end desktop. Input would be through mental receivers or retinal tracking. With verbal and/or text keyboard touch screen as needed for text input. The whole thing would use bio electronics so if it needed upgrading you would just reorganize it on the cellular level.

I don't think this is too much to ask.:D

Oh, and it would be free.

bentmywookie
Dec 5, 2002, 01:55 AM
here's mine (there's a little overlap with some other really great suggestions):

- tibook form factor, with hopefully smaller weight (around 4 lbs)
and impact-resistant casing and some space between the keyboard
and screen (like other people mentioned - i hate having the marks on the
screen)
- 16:9 aspect ratio for the widescreen though (i guess that would slight alter
the form factor)
- HD would also be great
- .13 (or smaller) dual G4 or 970 processors at +1ghz
- built-in 802.11a/b/g and blue-tooth
- superdrive
- DDR ram up to 2 gigs
- 128 mb ddr graphics card
- foldover tablet design (so that the screen can be flipped over and used like
a tablet)
- a 7200 rpm hard-drive that is really a removable 80 gig ipod.
- blue leds under all the keys (strictly for looks)
- 24 hour battery life

this is REALLY wishful thinking, but who knows, maybe one day it will be mine!