Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
The following applications automatically launch on startup:
Word
Excel
Google Chrome
RePasta (copy & paste helper)

I want to disable them from launching on startup. I have made sure that none of them have the "Open at Login" option checked when I right-click their icon in my dock.

I have also gone into Systems Preferences > Users > Account > Login Items. These programs are not listed there (oddly enough, iTunes Helper is listed but that application does NOT launch on startup).

I have also tried going into the following folders in my library:
/library/StartUpItems (nothing in there)

/library/launchdaemons
  • com.adobe.fpsaud.plist
  • com.apple.remotepairtool.plist
  • com.logmein.logmeinserver.plist
  • com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist
  • com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist

[*]/Library/LaunchAgents
  • com.logmein.logmeingui.plist
  • com.logmein.logmeinguiagent.plist
  • com.logmein.logmeinguiagentatlogin.plist
  • com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist

The only thing I've found so far that works is to remove these items completely from my dock, and then restart; then they do not launch on startup. The only problem with this is that I really like to have these programs in my dock as I use them often. There are 9 other applications in my dock that do not launch on startup (including another Microsoft product: PowerPoint), so I don't understand why these are the exception.

I am currently running Lion.

Any other suggestions?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The following applications automatically launch on startup:
Do you have this checked or unchecked when you restart?
mac-osx-lion-beginners-guide-1.jpg

Delete any occurrences of those apps from the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/

(oddly enough, iTunes Helper is listed but that application does NOT launch on startup).
It does launch, but won't appear on your Dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.