PDA

View Full Version : Old iMac with OS9.2

ShortCutMan
Sep 30, 2005, 10:56 PM
So, I'm running an old iMac with OS9.2. It's chugging, going really slowly and stuff and my parents want me to clean it up. Now naturally, I've recommended an update to OSX, but they can't afford it. So I've come to ask what I can do to it to get it running at least a bit faster. I thought erasing everything and reinstall os9 would be a good idea. And for your reference it's an old Bondi Blue iMac DV, G3 300MHz, 320MB RAM (or so) etc. That's the only mac we have in this house till I finally get my Mac Mini at the end of the year so don't be too harsh on it. :p

ReanimationLP
Oct 1, 2005, 02:03 AM
They made a 300 MHz Bondi Blue DV iMac? Wow. x_x

If thats the case pal, you have one RARE prototype since the Bondi was the 233 MHz iMacs, the DV comes on iMacs that are 400 MHz or higher, and the Processor speeds went at 233/266/333/350/400/500/600/700

Though if its a Bondi Blue with a 333 it just means that someone pulled out a faster chip outta one of the 5-color iMacs (or they overclocked it) Sounds like a nice machine though. OSX is slow on the old tray-loading iMacs, due to its very very old Rage Pro graphics. Remember that if you do not have Firewire, you will not be able to run Tiger on the iMac without XPostFacto. The highest it will go natively is Panther (10.3)

Enjoy! :D And welcome!! :D :D

California
Oct 1, 2005, 02:34 AM
So, I'm running an old iMac with OS9.2. It's chugging, going really slowly and stuff and my parents want me to clean it up. Now naturally, I've recommended an update to OSX, but they can't afford it. So I've come to ask what I can do to it to get it running at least a bit faster. I thought erasing everything and reinstall os9 would be a good idea. And for your reference it's an old Bondi Blue iMac DV, G3 300MHz, 320MB RAM (or so) etc. That's the only mac we have in this house till I finally get my Mac Mini at the end of the year so don't be too harsh on it. :p

I bought another Panther 10.3 OS for 20 bucks off Craigslist. that's what you need. You probably have a 400mhz machine. That should run very well with Panther with that amount of ram. Until then, download 9.2.2 from Apple.