PDA

View Full Version : Is it "all about the brand?"

medea
Dec 4, 2002, 06:05 PM
I just read the Wired article on Apple marketing and it's trying to say Apple is successful because Mac users are loyal to the brand and not the products. In one quote they state "Without the brand, Apple would be dead," he said. "Absolutely. Completely. The brand is all they've got. The power of their branding is all that keeps them alive. It's got nothing to do with products."
Do you guys agree? After thinking about it I think it's true to a point, but not the whole truth. But I have to think if Gateway had released the flat-panel iMac would it have seemed so cool? probably not.

I think there are a few statements that are right on in the article, such as:
According to Gobe, emotional brands have three things in common:
* The company projects a humanistic corporate culture and a strong corporate ethic, characterized by volunteerism, support of good causes or involvement in the community. Nike blundered here. Apple, on the other hand, comes across as profoundly humanist. Its founding ethos was power to the people through technology, and it remains committed to computers in education. "It's always about people," Gobe said.
* The company has a unique visual and verbal vocabulary, expressed in product design and advertising: This is true of Apple. Its products and advertising are clearly recognizable. (So is Target's, or even Wal-Mart's, Gobe said).
* The company has established a "heartfelt connection" with its customers. This can take several forms, from building trust to establishing a community around a product. In Apple's case, its products are designed around people: "Take the iPod, it brings an emotional, sensory experience to computing," Gobe said. "Apple's design is people-driven."

In the end it might be the image and not just the product that pushes Apple Computers, but maybe they are just thinking different as a computer company.....

pantagruel
Dec 4, 2002, 09:42 PM
well to be honest before reading the site I hadnot given the idea of it being about the brand much thought, but now after reading it it makes a lot of sense and I just hadnt realised it before. I dont agree that it is all brand though, we may be lacking in the speed department lately compared to pc's but our machines are and have always been top-notch and high quality, I mean if Nike started producing really uncomfortable shoes that still looked hot then I doubt people would still stick to the brand even if people like Jordan represented them.

arn
Dec 4, 2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by medea
I just read the Wired article on Apple marketing and it's trying to say Apple is successful because Mac users are loyal to the brand and not the products. In one quote they state "Without the brand, Apple would be dead," he said. "Absolutely. Completely. The brand is all they've got. The power of their branding is all that keeps them alive. It's got nothing to do with products."
Do you guys agree?

Brand comes from something though... if Apple had terrible products... they would have never built up their brand.

In the end... their brand provides them some protection - especially in troubled times... people will stay loyal longer than just based on products alone.

But Apple has always been an innovator... and had "cool" products - this is why many of us like them... and stick with them.

arn

pantagruel
Dec 6, 2002, 04:30 PM
you know your right arn, I agree with that 100%
I think that it is not just the brand or just the product, but the genius in the way they have fused the two together to make a sort of "super" brand of computers and marketing. Long live Apple as the top of the tech food chain.

bousozoku
Dec 6, 2002, 10:54 PM
Good thoughts all.

I liken Apple to Volkswagen. In the states, VW created a loveable brand. When they changed to front-wheel drive to meet the changing world, they faltered. Little-by-little, they've driven themselves back into a profitable business, forever changed. The products are worlds better than they used to be. A few people realise that. People have returned, while others never left, and there are some who like the style so much they've left their boring cars behind. They're not the most powerful or anything else, but they're just wonderful, smart cars.

VW owners are a little fanatical too. I'm on my fourth VW and my fourth Macintosh (well, 3 + 1 clone).