PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's Monopoly game prizes include iPods and iTunes do...

MacBytes
Oct 1, 2005, 12:48 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: McDonald's Monopoly game prizes include iPods and iTunes downloads. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051001014837)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Nermal
Oct 1, 2005, 01:42 AM
Did that site resize anyone else's browser without asking? :eek:

Whyren
Oct 1, 2005, 01:58 AM
Did that site resize anyone else's browser without asking? :eek:

Yep. Don't ya just love sites that do that? :rolleyes:
Nice to see this game back...managed to snag a copy of Metroid Prime for free after the Best Buy bucks I'd saved up. Though the way it's going, it may potentially get to the point where contests without iPods as prizes are the minority.

sluthy
Oct 1, 2005, 02:54 AM
Yeah, did it to me too. Usually sites that do that give me a popup underneath. This one didn't though.

The Monopoly Match&Win comp doesn't exactly have a good reputation in Australia - there was a big media frenzy over some prizes not being rewarded and stuff. Was that the case in the US?

SilvorX
Oct 1, 2005, 03:11 AM
well the fine text answered my question: "is the contest in canada?" (the answer being yes), as much as I HATE mcdicks, its my only option for food quite a bit with the budget and time i have

xtbfx
Oct 1, 2005, 09:20 AM
Hmm, didn't resize my browser. (Safari)

devilot
Oct 1, 2005, 09:47 AM
Hmm, didn't resize my browser. (Safari)I'm using Tiger, Safari 2.0.1 and it resized my browser.

Doctor Q
Oct 1, 2005, 10:02 AM
Technically, you don't have to eat at McDonald's to play. For the price of postage, you can send in a self-addressed stamped envelope to get a game piece. Except in Vermont where you can omit the return stamp.

devilot
Oct 1, 2005, 10:09 AM
Technically, you don't have to eat at McDonald's to play.Mm... but who'd wanna pass up an über-greasy hash browns? ;)

bluebomberman
Oct 1, 2005, 11:00 AM
Yeah, did it to me too. Usually sites that do that give me a popup underneath. This one didn't though.

The Monopoly Match&Win comp doesn't exactly have a good reputation in Australia - there was a big media frenzy over some prizes not being rewarded and stuff. Was that the case in the US?

In the past, the company running the contest for McDonalds rigged the contest for their own benefit. Guys went to jail for fraud, I believe.

angelwatt
Oct 1, 2005, 12:26 PM
I hate sites that resize browsers so I always leave those sites immediately and vow not to give them any business. I avoid McDs anyways, hate their food, so unhealthy, and no monopoly game is going to get me in their door.

steve_hill4
Oct 1, 2005, 01:38 PM
I just hate McDonalds. Food is disgusting, their ethics are massively flawed and they show the worst side of American multi-nationals, (when we know not all US multi-nationals are like that, McDonalds gives those who despise them whatever an excuse).

kiwi-in-uk
Oct 1, 2005, 01:49 PM
Resized Safari & Firefox, but not Camino.

And yeah - I heard the fuss in Australia.
Left a bad taste in my mouth.

PlaceofDis
Oct 1, 2005, 01:52 PM
Resized Safari & Firefox, but not Camino.

And yeah - I heard the fuss in Australia.
Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Camino has a pref that lets you prevent sites from moving and resizing windows, handy feature

Lacero
Oct 1, 2005, 04:40 PM
yeah, no kidding. There should be a bloody warning your browser's going to get resized. I effing hate sites like that.

fixyourthinking
Oct 1, 2005, 08:13 PM
Their previous promotion involved buying a Big Mac and getting a free "Sony Connect" Music Store song in ATRAC form - I think it was one of the least successful promotions McDonald's has ever launched. So ... this is an interesting switch - also considering McDonald's is a HEAVY promoter of Coca Cola (and not Pepsi)

To the guy in Australia ... there was a similar scam here in the USA ... in fact the people who printed the monopoly game pieces were a local printing company who rigged the pieces with friends and family around the country... it was interesting see how quiet McDonald's managed to keep it.

The monopoly game at McDonald's has always been pretty good ... I won $100 a few years back.

Orlando Furioso
Oct 1, 2005, 11:17 PM
oddly, the site does note resize the browser (safari) when I open it in new tab (which I do with most links). Opening the page into a new window does resize it. Anyone know why resize is prevented in tabbed mode?

Whyren
Oct 1, 2005, 11:29 PM
oddly, the site does note resize the browser (safari) when I open it in new tab (which I do with most links). Opening the page into a new window does resize it. Anyone know why resize is prevented in tabbed mode?

I'd guess that people often use tabbed browsing to open a window in a tab behind the current window. In that case, resizing the window would resize whatever page you're actually looking at, which could be a problem...? :confused:

iDM
Oct 1, 2005, 11:47 PM

Did anyone see people selling the game pieces on eBay.............for some reason i found that really weird

solvs
Oct 2, 2005, 12:32 AM
Camino has a pref that lets you prevent sites from moving and resizing windows, handy feature
FireFox has it too. You can disable it in the Java prefs.

shamino
Oct 3, 2005, 11:25 AM
I hate sites that resize browsers...
Then why not disable the feature?

In Firefox, go to
Preferences -> Web Features -> Enable JavaScript Advanced

There are checkboxes to enable/disable several JavaScript capabilities:

Move or resize existing windows
Raise or lower windows
Disable or replace context menus
Hide the status bar
Change status bar text
Change images
I disable the first four. It prevents annoying web sites from getting in my face.

Fred Flintstone
Oct 7, 2005, 07:24 PM
Netscape 8 kicks ass. Shuttle XPC does too. Browser stayed the same size as all the other tabs. I don't know what you morons are so upset over??? :confused:

Lighten up people...The purpose of the McDonald's Monopoly game is the same purpose of all sweepstakes and contests, to get you in the door and buy some food...Duh? :p

Wow, that was hard to figure out...It's called advertising. :eek:

If you don't like the food, then exercise your freewill and don't buy any. :mad:

If you do like the food, why not buy some stock as well. It's currently $32.22 with a 67 cents per share dividend. Buy enough shares and your dividend earnings will pay for your meals. :)