PDA

View Full Version : The last word on Mountain Lion

vjaaan
Jan 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
I am hearing people regretting upgrading to Mountain Lion and wonder if those bugs have been fixed.

Are there still problems that are common?

mrsir2009
Jan 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
What system are you currently on? If you’re on Snow Leopard, then I’d suggest you stick with it. However if you’re on Lion, definately upgrade :)

Eithanius
Jan 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
The last word on Mountain Lion: SUCKS...!

fisherking
Jan 10, 2013, 07:35 PM
i'm FINE on ML. i don't use all the bells and whistles...i don't need them. but my mac is running: fast. stable. efficient. and most important of all...i get my work done. no crashes, kernel panics.

for me, ML is the 'snow leopard' of lion. and am just as happy now as i was ON snow leopard.

TheGdog
Jan 10, 2013, 07:37 PM
I am running 8.2 and find it just fine. It runs just as good as SL, maybe a little better even. Only issue I have had is some safari crashes. I have put ML on most all of the macs at work, and we are using them to run live Video and Audio applications. Have yet to have one crash.

Moyank24
Jan 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
I upgraded from SL to ML on Monday and so far, I have absolutely no complaints. I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

I haven't had the chance to check out all of the new features, but so far so good.

sjinsjca
Jan 10, 2013, 07:52 PM
Adore ML. Gave my aging Core2Duo MBP a new lease on life. On my new rMBP it simply wails. Very stable, lots of coherent and thoughtful UI features. Great OS. Don't let the haters divert you.

spiderman0616
Jan 12, 2013, 01:05 PM
After using Windows for most of my life, I bought a Mac Mini a couple of months ago with Mountain Lion pre-installed. I have been nothing but thrilled with it. First of all, migrating all my stuff over from my Windows 7 box (iTunes files, backups, documents, etc.) was a snap, and that's the part I thought would take me most of the night. Setting up Time Machine was a piece of cake. Because of iCloud, my e mails, iMessages, Calendar, etc. were all just there automatically.

Within an hour or so of plugging the Mac Mini into power and an internet connection for the first time, I was USING it, not setting things up or tweaking things. Most brand new Windows setups I've done just aren't effortless the way setting this up was. Mountain Lion is iOS-like in the spots where it really comes in handy, and being a regular iPad/iPhone user, I really appreciated that. Basically, switching from Windows 7 to Mountain Lion (for me, at least) had almost zero learning curve and no hassles. Within a week, I felt like an old pro at OSX. We're using the Mac Mini more like a media center on steroids. It hosts, stores, and backs up our media, runs our stereo system off of iTunes, and shares files up to the Apple TV in the living room. When I need to other more computer-like things, it is there for me, but is out of the way when that's not the case.

I couldn't be happier having switched to Mountain Lion, and I should have switched to Mac in general about 10 years ago.

RedRaven571
Jan 12, 2013, 02:41 PM
Gave my aging Core2Duo MBP a new lease on life.

Having installed ML on a MBP with a 2.4gHz C2D, and reverted to SL, I'm curious what made you feel this way?

ZipZap
Jan 13, 2013, 05:00 AM
I've never upgraded beyond 10.8

Eithanius
Jan 13, 2013, 07:03 AM
After using Windows for most of my life, I bought a Mac Mini a couple of months ago with Mountain Lion pre-installed. I have been nothing but thrilled with it. First of all, migrating all my stuff over from my Windows 7 box (iTunes files, backups, documents, etc.) was a snap, and that's the part I thought would take me most of the night. Setting up Time Machine was a piece of cake. Because of iCloud, my e mails, iMessages, Calendar, etc. were all just there automatically.

Within an hour or so of plugging the Mac Mini into power and an internet connection for the first time, I was USING it, not setting things up or tweaking things. Most brand new Windows setups I've done just aren't effortless the way setting this up was. Mountain Lion is iOS-like in the spots where it really comes in handy, and being a regular iPad/iPhone user, I really appreciated that. Basically, switching from Windows 7 to Mountain Lion (for me, at least) had almost zero learning curve and no hassles. Within a week, I felt like an old pro at OSX. We're using the Mac Mini more like a media center on steroids. It hosts, stores, and backs up our media, runs our stereo system off of iTunes, and shares files up to the Apple TV in the living room. When I need to other more computer-like things, it is there for me, but is out of the way when that's not the case.

I couldn't be happier having switched to Mountain Lion, and I should have switched to Mac in general about 10 years ago.

Coming from Windows, you are just experiencing the user-friendliness of Mac OS X in general... That's nothing to shout about on Mountain Lion... If you have used OS X from earlier releases, you will probably end up with the majority of those who have used OS X up to (the slow and steady) Snow Leopard and how much they loath Lion and Mountain Lion...

Paulywauly
Jan 13, 2013, 07:14 AM
I've found ML to be nearly bomb-proof in terms of stability, almost as reliable as SL. Anything was an improvement after Lion which i found to be an unstable/bloated mess.

Apple appears to be adopting a very Tick/Tock approach to developing Desktop OS's the past few years e.g. an innovation release then a refinement release. If ML is a Tock i'll be reluctant to upgrade next time, i'm very impressed with it.

satcomer
Jan 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
I am on a my 2008 Mac Pro (in my signature) and with =installed the eStata PCI card (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXPCIE6GS2/) and the Caldigit USB 3 PCI card (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/U3HOSTADPTR/). 10.8.2+ has been great for me. The Messages.app in 10.8.x works out great for me and is well worth it. Plus for those who hate 10.8.x are trolls and reactionaries. Plus some people are pissed that their Mac is not allowed to run 10.8.x

nightlong
Jan 13, 2013, 07:48 AM
I've had only 1 problem with ML, on my MacBook Air, it wouldn't download the additional sounds for GarageBand ... Hours on the phone with Apple, and in the end a senior level tech, eventually reinstalled the OS. Fine since then, and upgrade to my old iMac went smoothly and no problems there so far.

A lot of people hate the IOS aspects of ML, but I like the way my macs, iPads and phone feel more synchronised, and more similar in various ways. The benefits outweigh the negatives for me.

throAU
Jan 13, 2013, 07:55 AM
OpenGL support is better
Touch support is better if you have a trackpad
If you have enough RAM it is fine

I have had zero problems to speak of with ML.

I've been a mac user since Leopard.

James Craner
Jan 13, 2013, 08:07 AM
I have been using a Mac for almost 11 years. I have used Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and now Mountain Lion. In reality not much has really changed in Mac OS X over the last 4 releases. On the whole they have been incremental updates. I personally think that Mountain Lion is the best release of Mac OS X ever, and I would agree with others that Lion was perhaps a disappointment. However to Apple's credit they have improved some of the issues that people had with Lion (although not to everyone's satisfaction).

Most of the criticism of Lion and Mountain Lion is tends to be focused on the introduction of Auto Save. While I can understand some peoples point on view on this, it is not helped that Application developers have been slow to adopt some of the changes (partly because some users do not want them, and party because Apple's documentation on implementation was initially sketchy). Trouble is we now have 3 classes of Apps

1. Apps that have not been updated to support Autosave or iCloud
2. Apps that have been updated for Autosave, but not iCloud
3. Apps that support iCloud and Autosave.

So if you are trying to get used to a new mindset, it makes it a lot more difficult if you have to keep thinking, right I am using Pages, so I need to duplicate the file first, or I am using Word so I can make some changes then use Save As later.

So I do have some sympathy with traditional users here, although most of it is because people are reluctant to change the way they work.

The other area is Social Media integration and better integration with iOS. Again these issues tend to upset the 'Old Guard' more than new users. I have less sympathy here as on the whole the social media side can be ignored if you don't want to use it. Many people fail to realise that social media is how young people especially communicate with each other these days. My daughter does not phone or even email her friends from school, they generally use Twitter and Facebook. As far as iOS integration is concerned, well iOS makes up most of Apple's sales and profit these days so I completely understand why Apple wants to make sure Mac OS and iOS work well together.

Platskies
Jan 13, 2013, 08:49 AM
I am on a my 2008 Mac Pro (in my signature) and with =installed the eStata PCI card (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXPCIE6GS2/) and the Caldigit USB 3 PCI card (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/U3HOSTADPTR/). 10.8.2+ has been great for me. The Messages.app in 10.8.x works out great for me and is well worth it. Plus for those who hate 10.8.x are trolls and reactionaries. Plus some people are pissed that their Mac is not allowed to run 10.8.x
I don't understand the people that think "Apple is watering down OS X with iOS features" - they're simply there to help improve the traditional desktop OS experience, not hinder it!

Notification Center is very nice, a much needed replacement for all of the inconsistent ways existing Mac applications show certain types of alerts like Calendar alarms (Federighi clearly mentions this at WWDC).

All of the new stuff for document-based applications such as the ability to move and rename files from within the app is really awesome, reducing the need for me to go to the Finder. The Finder will still be needed for more focused operations however (like copying multiple files), which has also been improved. For example you can directly encrypt volumes and see inline copy progress indicators on files.

Gatekeeper is also a good step forward to improving security for the average user - they've really been pushing for developers who aren't able to submit to the App Store (approval restrictions), or want to alternatively provide a website-download alternative for their apps using the Developer ID mechanism.

Not everything in the OS I use (like Dictation), but what's new is very handy. :)

Now I realise there's stuff like RSS being removed from Safari - but realistically I don't see going to a full-blown website then looking at a stripped-down version of each article at a glance very useful. For people that really do like RSS, they should just find a dedicated RSS reader which'll have more functionality that'll appeal to them (like Apple suggests).

Apple appears to be adopting a very Tick/Tock approach to developing Desktop OS's the past few years e.g. an innovation release then a refinement release. If ML is a Tock i'll be reluctant to upgrade next time, i'm very impressed with it.
Exactly how I feel. In terms of how buggy/slowish things have been, 10.8.2 with the supplemental update has been great for me.

(PS. I've used Mac OS since System 7.5)

oldhifi
Jan 13, 2013, 09:23 AM
seems to work pretty well

Eithanius
Jan 13, 2013, 10:02 AM
The other area is Social Media integration and better integration with iOS. Again these issues tend to upset the 'Old Guard' more than new users. I have less sympathy here as on the whole the social media side can be ignored if you don't want to use it. Many people fail to realise that social media is how young people especially communicate with each other these days. My daughter does not phone or even email her friends from school, they generally use Twitter and Facebook. As far as iOS integration is concerned, well iOS makes up most of Apple's sales and profit these days so I completely understand why Apple wants to make sure Mac OS and iOS work well together.

The point of social media integration is this, we as users can ignore, BUT it is not something that the entire OS can ignore altogether. Whatever ****** social media crap they built it in - Facebook, iCloud, Twitter etc, they introduced more processes into the OS that are bloating and hogging resources, whether or not you use them...

Fire up whichever versions of iStats you have on both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, and you will see the difference...

fisherking
Jan 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
for every mac OS i've experienced (since 10.2), some people are happy, some aren't. it's always that way. what's funny, to me, is how people with a bad experience make absolute statements, ie "ML sucks", "worst mac OS ever" as if everyone was having the same experience, shared the same opinion.

either way, things move forward, and you move with the world, or...get left behind.

cmChimera
Jan 13, 2013, 11:16 AM
The point of social media integration is this, we as users can ignore, BUT it is not something that the entire OS can ignore altogether. Whatever ****** social media crap they built it in - Facebook, iCloud, Twitter etc, they introduced more processes into the OS that are bloating and hogging resources, whether or not you use them...

Fire up whichever versions of iStats you have on both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, and you will see the difference...

This is typically the case with operating systems. As operating systems become more and more advanced, they require more resources. This is why computers constantly increase the amount of RAM, CPU power, GPU power that they come with. This is also why older hardware becomes unsupported.

DJLC
Jan 13, 2013, 01:47 PM
I've used Macs all my life. Every version of the Mac OS from System 7 up to Mountain Lion.

It seems like there are always a ton of people whining about OS X updates. I, on the other hand, have never had a major problem with an update. Mountain Lion is a great improvement over Lion, and is more usable (for me) than Snow Leopard.

Let's get with the times, folks. Snow Leopard was a huge improvement over Leopard. I remember how exciting it was to not wait 5 minutes for my MacBook to wake from sleep after upgrading to SL. But that was four years ago. Lion introduced a lot of new features, some of which I'll agree were half-baked at launch. Mountain Lion has fixed most of the little things that bugged me about Lion. And the next version will probably fix things that bug me about ML.

If you want to keep yourself frozen in technological time, why not get a Windows 7 PC? Chances are most businesses will be using that for the next decade like they did with XP. Plus, it'll still run your software from 1986. Mountain Lion certainly can't handle that.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 13, 2013, 03:22 PM

I thought it would suck, but other than an issue with Samba (that also exists in Lion due to Apple dumping it and rolling their own that works fine with Windows, but doesn't work with all 3rd party stuff like XBMC, etc., but was remedied pretty quickly by using "SMBUp" to switch to Samba3), I have to say overall, I PREFER Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard (one other thing that sucks is the loss of Rosetta, but I've gotten over it since I replaced both my two Apps I used to use and now have a Wine wrapper for Diablo II (VMWare Fusion lets me use Win98, WinXP and even Linux with 3D acceleration in OSX anyway and it really plays games that are a few years old just fine without Boot Camp).

I thought I'd hate Mission Control, but I actually like having Expose and Spaces combined (one hot spot saves me a load of trouble and App Expose is available with "Show Windows" from any Dock icon, so there's no issue for me. I don't like how Full Screen works with two monitors, but two monitor support has ALWAYS sucked in OSX and it's no better in Snow Leopard. At least you can get the menu bar on the other monitor when its in Full screen mode for that app (slight improvement). The real problem is that the other screen is empty while it's in full screen and that needs fixed (but same thing in Snow Leopard except the screen is black instead of textured).

Launchpad is mostly useless (could be made to be useful at some point, I think), but thankfully it's not forced on you. You can just remove it from the Dock and safely ignore it if you don't like it (in other words, if it doesn't hurt anything, who cares?)

I really like Notifications. Not only do email summaries and other program messages pop up while active, they're stored on a menu-item drop-down to look at if they come up while away from the computer.

OpenGL has at least been updated to 3.2 (a real improvement, although they should be at 4.x by now, really)

Frankly, I'm hard pressed to think of significant other differences that come to mind offhand. I'm sure there are some, but obviously they're not an issue or I'd notice them. Some things like iTunes 11 (hate or not) have nothing to do with Mountain Lion (I'm still using iTunes 10.6.3 here). Some default settings changes can be easily adjusted to behave like before (most of mine got changed automatically when I moved my old PowerPC stuff over; yeah it moved a PPC Mac just fine other than some unusable PPC only Apps that I just cleaned off. Even Photoshop CS3 worked fine after it was moved. All my GUI settings, configurations, documents, emails ,etc. all moved over just fine and of course my quad-core i7 is like freaking lightning compared to the old PPC machine (even though it was upgraded to 1.8GHz and had a Radeon 9800 Pro in it and a Sata II interface and very fast hard drives). The Intel 4000 my Mini came with isn't great for modern gaming, but older games and all HD stuff, etc. and two monitors work great here (the two monitor setup could use some improvements as I mentioned earlier, though).

My new Brother printer (MFC-J835DW) works fine with it as does my older Brother HL-5250DN Laser. The Memorex Blu-Ray/DVD/CD 12x/16x/40x USB3 writer worked immediately without issue and my Western Digital USB3 hard drives I had been using in Leopard with USB2 worked immediately at the higher USB3 speeds. My Logitech 9000 webcam still has crappy frame rates as always at 2MP resolution (with no OSX option to use a lower/faster frame rate), but at least it works for FaceTime and Skype calls, etc. In other words, all my old hardware accessories worked fine in Mountain Lion.

Really, I have few complaints except the dual-monitor operations need work and the Finder still sucks big time, but for that I have found a great remedy. It's called "XtraFinder" and it's free (unlike some of the VERY pricey commercial ones out there). It has an awesome tabs and dual-pane modes and even a way to just automatically create two separate side-by-side or top/bottom sets of finder windows spaced next to each other with a menu click. It works great with Mountain Lion (no issues other than the option to use "color icons", which seems to cause a big lag/slow-down so I leave it off for now, which is too bad since color icons in the Finder look SO much nicer than B&W. They've made iTunes color again; they should make Finder color again too.

Oh yeah, I forgot about iCloud. You don't have to use it or you can only use parts of it. Frankly, I find it pretty slick to sync bookmarks, notes, etc. automatically with my iPod Touch 4G and even my account on my mother's Macbook Pro at her house (and my own Macbook Pro if I upgrade it from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion soon).

spiderman0616
Jan 13, 2013, 04:55 PM
Coming from Windows, you are just experiencing the user-friendliness of Mac OS X in general... That's nothing to shout about on Mountain Lion... If you have used OS X from earlier releases, you will probably end up with the majority of those who have used OS X up to (the slow and steady) Snow Leopard and how much they loath Lion and Mountain Lion...
I have used Snow Leopard on my wife's work issued MacBook and when I go back to it now, I get very annoyed when it doesn't have a feature that I like using in Mountain Lion. (Full screen mode is probably the biggest example--launch pad is a big one too.)

In my opinion if you can start on Mountain Lion as basically a new Mac user and know your way around pretty much right away, it's a good release. The "I'm bored and angry with everything that I buy within one week of purchase" crowd may hate it, but for my family and me, it's been fantastic so far.

SlCKB0Y
Jan 13, 2013, 05:04 PM
If you have used OS X from earlier releases, you will probably end up with the majority of those who have used OS X up to (the slow and steady) Snow Leopard and how much they loath Lion and Mountain Lion...

Mountain Lion is nothing like Lion (which felt unfinished to me). It's one of the best releases of OS X along with Snow Leopard and Tiger.

I dabbled with 10.2 but started using OS X fulltime from 10.3. I have zero issues with Mountain Lion and it's kind of ridiculous how people cling to SL.

In fact, I'm trying to work out why you're even in this subforum if you hate Mountain Lion so much?

Mackilroy
Jan 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
<snip>
He has an axe to grind and by golly he's gonna grind it.

Using 10.8.2 and 10.6.8 here (laptop is limited to SL). Every time I go back to the laptop I find myself wishing it was Mountain Lion. I enjoy the Twitter integration, Notification Center, newer version of Safari, better full-screen support… oh, and it's faster.

Mr. Retrofire
Jan 14, 2013, 03:27 AM
I dabbled with 10.2 but started using OS X fulltime from 10.3.
Same here, regarding (Mac) OS X. ML is much better than Lion, IMHO. If i must use Mac OS X PowerPC apps, i use SL inside a VM. No problem if you have enough RAM and give the VM only one CPU core.

Micky Do
Jan 14, 2013, 04:14 AM
I was happy with Tiger on my original 2005 Mini...... It did what I wanted and being my first computer I didn't know any better.

When the HDD and the power supply failed early in 2009 I decided on a new Mini rather than a repair. For the short time I had Leopard I was a bit annoyed with some of its shortcomings. All was sweet when Snow Leopard came and I installed it.

I didn't bother with Lion. I coveted the Dictionary app upgrade, which i saw on a friend's machine. Otherwise I was none the wiser, having used only a cricket scoring program running under the Windows environment, using Parallels.

By mid 2012 the Mini was getting slow. I guessed it was short of RAM for updated apps, so I increased the RAM to 5 GB (from 1 GB), and upgraded directly to Mountain Lion. In general I am happy with the upgrades.

I did get the 10.8.2 update, that was later pulled.

One thing that does not seem to be right, however, is Time Machine. Since Mountain Lion was installed seems to given to doing massive, multiple GB, back-ups, which take ages to do. It keeps the CPU very busy, and raises temperature and fan speeds quite a bit.

Previously Time Machine back-ups were usually only a few kilobytes or MB. After nearly three years I had over 270 GB of a 320 GB back-up disc free. Now, after about 3 months I am down to 17 GB free.

SlCKB0Y
Jan 14, 2013, 06:43 AM
Since Mountain Lion was installed seems to given to doing massive, multiple GB, back-ups, which take ages to do. It keeps the CPU very busy, and raises temperature and fan speeds quite a bit.

Previously Time Machine back-ups were usually only a few kilobytes or MB. After nearly three years I had over 270 GB of a 320 GB back-up disc free. Now, after about 3 months I am down to 17 GB free.

That doesn't sound normal. :(

What are you backing up to?

Micky Do
Jan 15, 2013, 04:19 PM
That doesn't sound normal. :(

What are you backing up to?

Backing up to a 320 GB Buffalo portable HDD, purchased October 2009.

I did start a thread looking for advice in the Mac Basics and Help forum, but got no replies...... so bumped it to see if someone who may not have noticed it might have some advice, but got that post deleted and a warning that bumping was regarded as unacceptable. Unhelpful, I thought, but there you go.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1522228

Any comments, insight or advice would be appreciated.

satcomer
Jan 15, 2013, 04:24 PM
Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and run both the permission repairs and the disk repairs on the time Machine Drive. See if that helps it.

NT1440
Jan 15, 2013, 04:26 PM
Adore ML. Gave my aging Core2Duo MBP a new lease on life. On my new rMBP it simply wails. Very stable, lots of coherent and thoughtful UI features. Great OS. Don't let the haters divert you.

+1

My 2009 MBP core2duo is speedy as ever, its actually more rock solid than Lion was.

NewAnger
Jan 15, 2013, 04:56 PM
I upgraded upon release day and regretted it. I kept trying to use it every month or so and had the problem where the menu bar would freeze and then my MB would just get slower and slower until I had to reboot.

Over the last two months, those problems went away completely.

Though I only use my computer for internet and iTunes, I think ML is just as stable as Lion was. I have Lion on my 2008 MB.

Primejimbo
Jan 15, 2013, 07:22 PM
I upgraded from SL to ML on Monday and so far, I have absolutely no complaints. I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

I haven't had the chance to check out all of the new features, but so far so good.

I just did the same, very happy so far

OpenGL support is better
Touch support is better if you have a trackpad
If you have enough RAM it is fine

I have had zero problems to speak of with ML.

I've been a mac user since Leopard.
I maxed out my Mac Mini since I was upgrading to ML. I got 8GB for $45, I didn't think it was a bad deal.

Sital
Jan 15, 2013, 07:29 PM
Started with Leopard...never had a problem.
Upgraded to SL...never had a problem.
Upgraded to Lion...never had a problem.
Upgraded to ML...haven't had a problem.

For my uses, they are all pretty much the same, although I think I like ML the best so far (mainly for Notification Center).

Wicked1
Jan 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
I had a 2009 uMB with SL and it was and is a great machine, never cared for Lion until I bought a 2011 Mini with ML. I did not like all the changes between SL and Lion at first especially all the color bars were taken away, but after using it it was not bad. I decided to sell the Mini and go back to a MacBook Pro, gave wife the uMB she loves it coming from an old Windows laptop.
Got the 2012 MBP 13" Base with 4GB/500GB and ML

I am going to upgrade it to 16GB and I installed a 240GB SSD what a difference.

After running ML for a while 1-2 months, I actually like it very much, it is quick and smooth, in fact today I worked on the uMB and found SL to be slow and annoying at times, however they are both cool Macs and each with their own purpose.

I do everything from running Boot Camp with Windows 7 and some light gaming, also ripping movies and some encoding, it all works fine and it runs very quick

Cave Man
Jan 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
I am hearing people regretting upgrading to Mountain Lion and wonder if those bugs have been fixed.

It is the worst OS Apple has released since I've been using Macs, back to System 7 on a Centris 610 back in the early 1990s.

Plus for those who hate 10.8.x are trolls and reactionaries.

I'm neither. ML has been the most problematic OS that I've dealt with since I started using Macs. Even the total lock-ups that sometimes came with System 9 were less common than the persistent issues with ML. In fact, I reinstalled Snow Leopard onto two iMacs and one Mini in my lab. I'd do the same for my Mac Book Pro, but it needs Lion at the least, which isn't much better than ML in my experience. Will Apple sort it out? I sure hope so but, frankly, I think they're more concerned with iOS and OS X is becoming the ugly step sister.

----------

If i must use Mac OS X PowerPC apps, i use SL inside a VM. No problem if you have enough RAM and give the VM only one CPU core.

How do you get SL on a VM? I have VMWare but it won't let me install SL as an OS.

SlCKB0Y
Jan 16, 2013, 04:08 AM
but it needs Lion at the least, which isn't much better than ML in my experience.

I reckon even out of all the Mountain Lion haters you must be the only one here who actually prefers Lion!

Micky Do
Jan 16, 2013, 07:30 AM
Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and run both the permission repairs and the disk repairs on the time Machine Drive. See if that helps it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran Disk Utility, and it reported that all is sweet.... so the mystery remains!

I have had Time Machine mostly switched off of late, just turning it on once a week or so to back-up. There was less than 17 GB available space on the hard drive according to Time Machine earlier today. It backed-up and lo.... it finished up with 47.8 GB available!

Cave Man
Jan 16, 2013, 08:45 AM
I reckon even out of all the Mountain Lion haters you must be the only one here who actually prefers Lion!

No, ML is an improvement over Lion; however, it has been more problematic for me than other OSes from Apple.

MonkeySee....
Jan 16, 2013, 08:47 AM

Wow, you even have it in your sig. It must suck really bad :rolleyes:

Eithanius
Jan 16, 2013, 09:27 AM

Yes indeed... You have a problem with that...? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MonkeySee....
Jan 16, 2013, 09:51 AM
Yes indeed... You have a problem with that...? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do when its not true.

Eithanius
Jan 16, 2013, 10:04 AM
I do when its not true.

Then that's your problem... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MonkeySee....
Jan 16, 2013, 10:11 AM
Then that's your problem... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Buts its your problem you think it sucks.

InuNacho
Jan 16, 2013, 10:15 AM
Here's my beef with ML.

I own a Mac Pro 4,1 and have been using Macs since the black and white 68k days. I've always adored the Aqua interface and feel it was at it's best in 10.4 but has since then gone downhill a bit. I'm quite fine with 10.6's UI and it's just too much work to return it on ML.
There are plenty of applications out there that can make everything act and behave like SL but how do I know that with the next update they'll still work?

The only real upside I see to ML is the updated graphics drivers, but since my 5870 suits my Mac needs perfectly I see no need to upgrade.

Eithanius
Jan 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Buts its your problem you think it sucks.

So what's your ****ing problem then....? You're going in circles.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MonkeySee....
Jan 16, 2013, 10:32 AM
So what's your ****ing problem then....? You're going in circles.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're the one with the problem? I like Mountain Lion.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 16, 2013, 12:08 PM
It is the worst OS Apple has released since I've been using Macs, back to System 7 on a Centris 610 back in the early 1990s.

I'm neither. ML has been the most problematic OS that I've dealt with since I started using Macs. Even the total lock-ups that sometimes came with System 9 were less common than the persistent issues with ML. In fact, I reinstalled Snow Leopard onto two iMacs and one Mini in my lab. I'd do the same for my Mac Book Pro, but it needs Lion at the least, which isn't much better than ML in my experience. Will Apple sort it out? I sure hope so but, frankly, I think they're more concerned with iOS and OS X is becoming the ugly step sister.

You must own a lemon of a computer or something. I haven't had a single crash on my new Mac Mini since I bought it in November (came with 8.1 and updated to 8.2 the first day without issue) and it's been running 24/7 for the most part. The HDMI blanking screen thing was the only issue I had other than having to install Samba3 with SMBUp (which solved my networking issues, leaving me with zero issues other than the usual complaints of dual-monitor usage that have existed as long as OSX has). I HAVE had Snow Leopard crash many a time on me on my Macbook Pro. Frankly, my PPC machine running Leopard was more stable (prior server). So far, I'm pretty pleased with the Mini as its replacement.

I've run VMWare with Win98, XP and OpenSuse 12.2 for hours and hours and my server for the whole house system is up 24/7 and OSX itself has never needed a reboot yet except for a couple of software updates like that firmware one and 8.2. So this idea that Mountain Lion is the problem is falling on deaf ears. You either have a faulty hardware driver, something left over from the upgrade (needs a clean install?) or something else is crapping out somewhere.

BlaqkAudio
Jan 16, 2013, 12:50 PM
Don't bother taking his opinion seriously. He goes into ML related threads just to say "Mountain Lion sucks...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:"

rupam.db
Jan 16, 2013, 01:32 PM
With facebook integration and apps like pocket, flutter and so on I feel like there's lesser and lesser privacy with each release of OSX. They are just luring people. I don't know about the rest but I certainly don't like to be tracked all the time. There's this software update check or say itunes store or storeagent which runs in background and always connects to some IP address the moment internet is connected and I really don't like that. . .

nilk
Jan 16, 2013, 02:01 PM
Just to throw in another data point:

I'm in agreement with those saying Mountain Lion (10.8) is much better than Lion (10.7). I haven't had any problems with Mountain Lion, but had tons of issues with Lion.

If you're on Snow Leopard and all your software runs great, it's not entirely bad to stay on it, but it's slowly losing support in the latest versions of applications, so you may be forced to either stay on old versions of applications or upgrade to a later OS X, depending on what software you use.

I am using ML on:

Unsupported Mac Pro 2,1 - Hacked to run ML using Chameleon, and it runs great.
15" rMBP - Came w/ ML; no complaints
Early-2008 15" MBP - ML runs slow, but this is a machine with only 4GB, and a 5400 RPM HDD that is nearly full. No other issues, though.
Early-2011 13" MBP - My wife's machine runs ML and no complaints from her

With the two non-retina MBP, we both had problems with Lion locking up randomly. Haven't had that problem with ML.

BlaqkAudio
Jan 16, 2013, 02:23 PM
With facebook integration and apps like pocket, flutter and so on I feel like there's lesser and lesser privacy with each release of OSX. They are just luring people. I don't know about the rest but I certainly don't like to be tracked all the time.
Then don't use them.

There's this software update check or say itunes store or storeagent which runs in background and always connects to some IP address the moment internet is connected and I really don't like that. . .
It's part of MAS. ML checks for software updates in the background. It only connects to Apple.
http://f.cl.ly/items/0a2M1h1g2c1z17251Q2m/Screen%20Shot%202013-01-16%20at%203.14.49%20PM.png
http://f.cl.ly/items/1W0k1d1A1U2I1v2g0s2L/Screen%20Shot%202013-01-16%20at%203.21.10%20PM.png

Luis2004
Jan 16, 2013, 03:28 PM
Well I for one would like to say that Mountain Lion is the best OS I have ever seen and/or used!!

It is my first experience with any Mac software other than my iPad's iOS, and after having used windows for the last 15 years I must say that this is, hands down, the best OS I have ever seen and/or used!!

So all you people that say it sucks (yeah, Eithaneus, I'm talking to you, you Debbie Downer), well, you ain't got eyes in your heads nor brains in your skulls!

And that's all I gotta say!!

SlCKB0Y
Jan 16, 2013, 04:29 PM
So this idea that Mountain Lion is the problem is falling on deaf ears. You either have a faulty hardware driver, something left over from the upgrade (needs a clean install?) or something else is crapping out somewhere.

^^ This.

I'm going with PEBKAC though.

montycat
Jan 16, 2013, 05:37 PM
Zero problems with ML on my 2007 iMac!

unobtainium
Jan 16, 2013, 06:05 PM
I love Mountain Lion but I have had the odd problem with it. The only one that comes to mind right now is occasional Wi-fi weirdness. I'm hoping 10.8.3 will sort that out. But overall I'm a big fan of the iOS integration. I personally don't bother fighting change - I'd rather take advantage of the new features and at least try integrating them into my workflow. Since playing around with Reminders, Notification Centre, Messages, etc., I've come to find them invaluable. Couldn't go back to Lion personally.

Edited to add: Messages is wonky sometimes, showing messages out of order, etc., but it's obviously not a dealbreaker.

Cave Man
Jan 16, 2013, 10:16 PM
You must own a lemon of a computer or something. The HDMI blanking screen thing was the only issue I had...

You never get horizontal lines across your screen? They mostly pop up in Safari when the web page is black.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the Mini as its replacement.

I like mine, too. It's just the bugaboos in ML that cause me consternation.

So this idea that Mountain Lion is the problem is falling on deaf ears. You either have a faulty hardware driver, something left over from the upgrade (needs a clean install?) or something else is crapping out somewhere.

The Mini I have at home (not the one in 9400 model in my lab with SL) shipped with 10.8.2 on it, so it was a clean install when I received it. The only thing I did was use Migration assistant to bring it over. With my wife's 2011 MBP, I did a clean install but the problem with freezes persists. I even changed her Time Machine drive (enclosure and drive) just in case that was the problem. My Mac Pro that does our DNA sequence analysis loses wifi every day and with two of my computers Mail persistently drops Exchange accounts (but not IMAP). The only way to see those emails is to quit Mail and relaunch it.

I'm going with PEBKAC though.

Sorry, but I know my way under the hood of Macs, Hacks and OS X. I used to write code in the old days using Apple's Pascal. Heck, I even replaced the PATA drive in an Apple TV1 with a SATA interface so I could connect an eSATA drive to it. Statistical analysis is part of my job and ML (and L) have had more issues for me than other installations of OS X.

Eithanius
Jan 16, 2013, 11:25 PM
Well I for one would like to say that Mountain Lion is the best OS I have ever seen and/or used!!

It is my first experience with any Mac software other than my iPad's iOS, and after having used windows for the last 15 years I must say that this is, hands down, the best OS I have ever seen and/or used!!

So all you people that say it sucks (yeah, Eithaneus, I'm talking to you, you Debbie Downer), well, you ain't got eyes in your heads nor brains in your skulls!

And that's all I gotta say!!

For god sakes Windows users... Please use Snow Leopard first before you even start commenting... This is not about Windows vs Mac OS X... This is about 10.6 vs 10.8...

That's what I've been saying, Windows users know **** about the old and stable Snow Leopard... All they know is only iOS and its crap...

here2011
Jan 17, 2013, 04:00 AM
Having had a New Mac Mini with ML on I do hanker for Snow Leopard back.

I really did like that OS, ML really isn't good that compared to it. I find it jerky & stuttery & I have 8Gb in mine.

I wish I could find a way of installing SN on mine.

Eithanius
Jan 17, 2013, 05:00 AM
Having had a New Mac Mini with ML on I do hanker for Snow Leopard back.

I really did like that OS, ML really isn't good that compared to it. I find it jerky & stuttery & I have 8Gb in mine.

I wish I could find a way of installing SN on mine.

ML is jerky on integrated graphics... So much sometimes I felt my workflow being interrupted... SL has much less jerkiness that this...

You might want to try turning off New Animation Window effects and see if it alleviates the problem... All these stupid iOS fanciness is unnecessary...

Mr-Kerrse
Jan 17, 2013, 05:06 AM
My only issue was it seemed a little slow but since bumping up my memory to 16gb i have no more problems ( 16gb may be overkill but figured as it was only £60 why not go to the max ) :D

here2011
Jan 17, 2013, 05:32 AM
ML is jerky on integrated graphics... So much sometimes I felt my workflow being interrupted... SL has much less jerkiness that this...

You might want to try turning off New Animation Window effects and see if it alleviates the problem... All these stupid iOS fanciness is unnecessary...

Where do I find it to turn it off?

Ta

Eithanius
Jan 17, 2013, 05:35 AM
Where do I find it to turn it off?

Ta

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/25/disable-the-new-window-animation-in-mac-os-x-lion/

MacMan988
Jan 17, 2013, 09:33 AM
Shutting down is slower.
Safari crashes when opening new tabs.

Apart from those, I'm happy about the rest.

Luis2004
Jan 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
For god sakes Windows users... Please use Snow Leopard first before you even start commenting... This is not about Windows vs Mac OS X... This is about 10.6 vs 10.8...

That's what I've been saying, Windows users know **** about the old and stable Snow Leopard... All they know is only iOS and its crap...

Obviously I was impersonating a moron being excited over ML. But in all seriousness, yes, I'm a windows user coming to OS X for the first time and I'm very impressed.

Unfortunately, you saying that iOS is "crap" lowers your credibility a tad. I'm a major Android user, and although iOS lacks that customizability that Android has (even after being jailbroken), it is most definitely NOT crap. It's awesome.

TPadden
Jan 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
Never a last word ....... Went back to SL on my Mac Pro ......Again; probably for the 20th time :o. Each time I give ML a couple weeks use then ask myself why? :cool:

hdzmiriam
Jan 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
My Mac OS X 10.6.8, Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.. whatever that means... has really slow internet and it gets stuck uploading sites every 10 minutes. I've done software updates, i've reset my router, and all my other PCS and my sister's laptop get awesome internet signal, but not my laptop. PLease help :(

Ps. I bought this refurbished Mac at Bestbuy in the summer of 2011. I have so many photos and school work saved and I don't want to loose all my data. So, should I clean this mac or what... I'm just not tech savvy

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 17, 2013, 03:58 PM
You never get horizontal lines across your screen? They mostly pop up in Safari when the web page is black.

Nope, the picture is absolutely perfect here (I just double checked with Safari on a black themed web site since I never use Safari normally).

Horizontal lines sounds like something I used to have on my projector downstairs (ground loop in the cable or something; it went away when they ran a new cable across my backyard to the box). I remember I bought a Pioneer Elite TV back in the late '90s that had black horizontal lines on DVD sources for some reason (more than a few people had that problem with that set, but it wasn't all of them). I never did find out the cause and they finally gave me a refund and I ended up buying a 57" Panasonic HDTV CRT projector for the same price six months later (it still works and has been running since ~1998).

I like mine, too. It's just the bugaboos in ML that cause me consternation.

That sounds like a hardware or connection problem (lines). Given your freezes, I'd suspect hardware all the more. If it were Mountain Lion's fault, everyone would have these problems. I haven't had a single crash yet on mine and it's been running almost 24/7 since November. It's normally up 24/7 too other than the occasional software update reboot or whatever. In fact, it's been up now for 7 days , 23 hours of this writing and that's only because I moved it over to a different desk last week. Otherwise, it would be more like 6 weeks without a reboot. As far as I'm concerned, this is the most rock solid Mac I've ever owned. I realize it's only been a very short period, I realize, but I've never had a Mac that didn't have some kind of crash early on. My PPC PowerMac was rock solid stable until Apple's software (usually iTunes) screwed it up with an update and then I'd get a stable version and it would run 24/7 for months at a time again. I think Apple breaks their own rules and causes more crashes than anyone, really (rare to see a 3rd party program bring the system down).

The Mini I have at home (not the one in 9400 model in my lab with SL) shipped with 10.8.2 on it, so it was a clean install when I received it. The only thing I did was use Migration assistant to bring it over. With my wife's

I used Migration Assistant too and I used it with my PowerMac running Leopard, at that. No issues.

What integrated GPU are you referring to? It's smooth as ice here with the Intel 4000 at both 1920x1400 and 1650x1050 and that's driving two monitors at the same time.

Eithanius
Jan 17, 2013, 07:14 PM
What integrated GPU are you referring to? It's smooth as ice here with the Intel 4000 at both 1920x1400 and 1650x1050 and that's driving two monitors at the same time.

Oh I forgot... Millions of people are now using Macs that are not capable of Snow Leopard... sorry...! :rolleyes:

I'm still on my old piece of junk that has Intel Graphics HD without any model numbers...

But then again, my workplace's MBPr is still choppy on integrated... :mad:

JoeRito
Jan 17, 2013, 08:27 PM
We all loved SL... give ML a chance... it has really grown on me, love it now!

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 17, 2013, 08:39 PM
Oh I forgot... Millions of people are now using Macs that are not capable of Snow Leopard... sorry...! :rolleyes:

That gives me an idea, come to think of it. I can't help but remember how I got Leopard working so much better with my (then bought used to play with) PowerMac Digital Audio BEFORE I upgraded its CPU and graphics card. The firs trick was to fool the CPU check (easily done). The real usable problem was the crappy ATI graphics card it came with wasn't supported in Leopard any longer and so it was running as a pure VESA driver and slow as heck. The key was to copy the Tiger kext(s) over for newly unsupported hardware and then magically Leopard ran 500% faster (still not as fast as Tiger did, but quite usable).

My thinking is that perhaps some of these newer Macs might be able to use a similar trick in reverse if one wanted to try and run Snow Leopard on them. It seems like the basic problem would be that Snow Leopard doesn't have a kext for the newer GPUs used (e.g. Intel 4000 for one) and also the USB 3.0 drivers don't exist in Snow Leopard. There might be some other things as well, but those seem like the big obstacles. If I had a spare external hard drive, I'd be tempted to give it a shot for the heck of it. I don't really want Snow Leopard on my Mini (I actually like Mountain Lion better overall), but I'm just curious if it could work. I'm sure the Hackintosh folk would have a better idea of what it would take, though (I don't know what checks SL has in it for model/speed/whatever these days).

Eithanius
Jan 17, 2013, 09:07 PM
That gives me an idea, come to think of it. I can't help but remember how I got Leopard working so much better with my (then bought used to play with) PowerMac Digital Audio BEFORE I upgraded its CPU and graphics card. The firs trick was to fool the CPU check (easily done). The real usable problem was the crappy ATI graphics card it came with wasn't supported in Leopard any longer and so it was running as a pure VESA driver and slow as heck. The key was to copy the Tiger kext(s) over for newly unsupported hardware and then magically Leopard ran 500% faster (still not as fast as Tiger did, but quite usable).

My thinking is that perhaps some of these newer Macs might be able to use a similar trick in reverse if one wanted to try and run Snow Leopard on them. It seems like the basic problem would be that Snow Leopard doesn't have a kext for the newer GPUs used (e.g. Intel 4000 for one) and also the USB 3.0 drivers don't exist in Snow Leopard. There might be some other things as well, but those seem like the big obstacles. If I had a spare external hard drive, I'd be tempted to give it a shot for the heck of it. I don't really want Snow Leopard on my Mini (I actually like Mountain Lion better overall), but I'm just curious if it could work. I'm sure the Hackintosh folk would have a better idea of what it would take, though (I don't know what checks SL has in it for model/speed/whatever these days).

Time to summon Netkas for GPU hacks... :D:D

throAU
Jan 17, 2013, 09:20 PM
It seems like there are always a ton of people whining about OS X updates. I, on the other hand, have never had a major problem with an update. Mountain Lion is a great improvement over Lion, and is more usable (for me) than Snow Leopard.

This.

Going back to SL, i miss:

- 3 finger swipe between full screen apps
- full screen, itself
- window resize from any corner. i can not believe how long it took apple to implement this! going back to SL drives me insane due to this, combined with lack of full-screen / retarded behaviour of the green "maximize" button in OS X
- local time machine backups

Sure, SL uses less memory, but i have 16gb (and if your machine supports it, so should you - it is dirt cheap now). ML is fine on 8GB or more. It will run fine on 4, too, but 8 is significantly faster.

----------

With facebook integration and apps like pocket, flutter and so on I feel like there's lesser and lesser privacy with each release of OSX. They are just luring people. I don't know about the rest but I certainly don't like to be tracked all the time. There's this software update check or say itunes store or storeagent which runs in background and always connects to some IP address the moment internet is connected and I really don't like that. . .

Don't put in your facebook details? Firewall the itunes/app store?

Most people would want to be notified of OS/app updates, and there's no way this can be done without checking the internet when it is connected...

1member1
Jan 18, 2013, 06:59 AM
Best Operating systems I've ever used.
I'm on mac since Leopard and windows since forever.

Platskies
Jan 19, 2013, 02:57 AM

<snip>
Most processes do go away when their associated services aren't in use. When I logged out of Game Center, gamed went away next login. I disabled all of my iCloud-enabled services, and ubd went away next login - until I ran an iCloud-enabled app (such as TextEdit). However, it did disappear after a few minutes after that.

Yes, what I described is a minor inefficiency, but this won't affect the performance of your system at a practical level. There's less point "optimising" the OS nowadays, as computers have become very performant.

Also, apps that are using new 10.7 and 10.8 technologies are going to start spinning up more processes, and for good reason. Apple in 10.7 introduced a robust mechanism called XPC Services for separating an app's core privileges (like computation, disk I/O and network) into discrete processes. This has two improvements - applications can more effectively be sandboxed (to 'harden' the OS), and applications will have less tendency to crash from programming errors. When these external processes have finished their jobs, xpcd will go ahead and shut them down.

If you really care about what processes you have running so much, you could say Snow Leopard is "bloated" as well. For example "com.apple.dock.extra" provides the mechanism for apps to customise their dock tile even when they aren't running. Based on your logic you might not need that if you're certain you have no apps that have that behaviour. However, I honestly don't see any reason to go to this trouble as they're very light on memory, and almost always sit at 0% of CPU usage. And plus you might break functionality in any future apps you install, without being aware of it at all.

If you're having performance issues with 10.8, it will likely improve in a future update. This has always been the trend.

fivenotrump
Jan 19, 2013, 05:49 AM

No regrets: top stuff!

Not common, but those who do have problems make an inordinate amount of noise...

ZipZap
Jan 19, 2013, 06:12 AM
Best Operating systems I've ever used.
I'm on mac since Leopard and windows since forever.

While I do like my mac, the Mac OS is no where near the best OS period.

Sorry but Windows is superior. And with all the Mac OS issues over the last year+... Windows even more so.

Yes, there are features that make Mac OS stand out, but there are missing ones that make me scratch my head.

What ends up making Mac tolerable are the programs and utilities you can buy for Mac OS...

sneak3
Jan 19, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hey guys how is mountain lion compared to lion regarding the battery time?

Ive read mixed opinions so far about this issue.

Battery is really important to me and now I dont know if I should upgrade to Mtn Lion or not.

Any insights?

WSR
Jan 19, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm still sticking with Snow Leopard.

My main issues are:
1. The loss of grid based Spaces.
2. Lion's and ML's Full-Screen mode which usually makes multiple monitors nearly useless.
3. Limited control over Resume, Versions and AutoSave.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 20, 2013, 03:43 PM

My main issues are:

I don't miss it since I never used that many spaces, but I agree it should still be an option. For just a few spaces, the combined expose and spaces in Mission Control is preferable to me since I can use one hot spot for both.

2. Lion's and ML's Full-Screen mode which usually makes multiple monitors nearly useless.

I agree they need to fix that problem (and a solution for the top screen menu and dock), but as far as I know, full screen mode (where used) in Snow Leopard has the same problem. In other words, if you don't use full screen mode while using two monitors, it won't happen. I fail to see an advantage in Snow Leopard when it has the same issues. It simply doesn't have a convenient button to go to full screen (lots of somewhat non-standard keyboard controls and menu selections and it STILL robs the 2nd monitor for things like iTunes).

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Could you give more detail? Are you referring to the App Store programs? The inability to load or find older versions is one of my biggest complaints about the App Store in general (for iOS or otherwise), particularly if you have older hardware that needs an older version. Of course, the key here is to no support the App Store when possible to avoid it. The last thing we want to see if Apple make it mandatory for OSX at some point in the future. Can you imagine having to jailbreak OSX proper? I'd abandon the platform at that point. I don't want Apple deciding what I can and cannot run on my computer. I barely tolerate it on iOS and mostly because I use it more for the iPod than for Apps and I do need Apple' "Remote" to control my AppleTVs, etc. since I decided to go with Apple for the whole house system long before iOS came out.

cmChimera
Jan 20, 2013, 04:13 PM

Sorry but Windows is superior. And with all the Mac OS issues over the last year+... Windows even more so.

Yes, there are features that make Mac OS stand out, but there are missing ones that make me scratch my head.

What ends up making Mac tolerable are the programs and utilities you can buy for Mac OS...

Just curious, but why is windows superior?

WSR
Jan 20, 2013, 05:41 PM
I agree they need to fix that problem (and a solution for the top screen menu and dock), but as far as I know, full screen mode (where used) in Snow Leopard has the same problem. In other words, if you don't use full screen mode while using two monitors, it won't happen. I fail to see an advantage in Snow Leopard when it has the same issues. It simply doesn't have a convenient button to go to full screen (lots of somewhat non-standard keyboard controls and menu selections and it STILL robs the 2nd monitor for things like iTunes).
Though SL didn't have an official Full-Screen mode, virtually all apps that had a Full-Screen mode just went Full-Screen in the current Space leaving the Desktop underneath it. This way I could watch a video in Full-Screen mode on 1 Monitor while continuing to work in the other.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Could you give more detail? Are you referring to the App Store programs? The inability to load or find older versions is one of my biggest complaints about the App Store in general (for iOS or otherwise), particularly if you have older hardware that needs an older version. Of course, the key here is to no support the App Store when possible to avoid it. The last thing we want to see if Apple make it mandatory for OSX at some point in the future. Can you imagine having to jailbreak OSX proper? I'd abandon the platform at that point. I don't want Apple deciding what I can and cannot run on my computer. I barely tolerate it on iOS and mostly because I use it more for the iPod than for Apps and I do need Apple' "Remote" to control my AppleTVs, etc. since I decided to go with Apple for the whole house system long before iOS came out.
No I'm just talking about giving us more control over Lion's and ML's features. For example, I don't want every little typo to be stored by versions. Maybe even the ability to turn off versions. Also, I'm not sure if resume can be turned off yet. I know that Apple has returned some of the features from SL, though some like Save As are a bit hidden.

ZipZap
Jan 21, 2013, 07:41 AM
Just curious, but why is windows superior?

Not to be argumentative but why isn't it?

cmChimera
Jan 21, 2013, 09:33 AM
Not to be argumentative but why isn't it?

I was asking for your personal opinion. I have multiple reasons as to why I think OS X is better, but I'm not asking you to debate me on my reasoning.

Risco
Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
This is my first ever Apple Mac so I do not know any different. I have 30 years of Windows experience and for me I found as a system it is far superior just for the small fact I don't ba e a registry to deal with. I am a learn by my mistake person so of course I ha e broken my install numerous times but that is because I am trying to find out what I can cannot do, not because it is unstable.

What is an issue for me is annoying bugs. Things such as settings needed to be launched twice for it to launch such as setting desktop background. Also slow shutdown, way too slow.

1member1
Jan 22, 2013, 09:07 AM

Late reply but when you buy a mac you get more features out of the box. In windows every OEM will install junk image before you buy it and give it to you with tons of advertise software that you don't even need.
More over even Windows 8 did not improve that much for laptop and desktop users (touch is something different but I don't even need it).
Changes for Desktop / Laptop users without Touch :
-Improved task manager
-Improved file copy
-ISO is now built into the system
-Copy/Move is more usable (still total commander is way better)
-Better Boot time (will only feel it if you are non ssd user)
-No Aero
-Taskbar in multiple screens

I won't even count the metro/modern UI because its simply not good. the search is more complicated than before and there is no software as Alfred in windows (Launchy and others are not enough).

anyway like i said I'm using windows since the start but with mac i feel more complete. the terminal is more superior than any powershell and there is no complexity to do stuff.
The only problem with mac is full screen apps on extended mode.

Too bad mac is not for everyone - the people who look for cheap laptop can't buy it.

TPadden
Jan 22, 2013, 09:19 AM
Late reply.........
Too bad mac is not for everyone - the people who look for cheap laptop can't buy it.

Too bad :apple: (and Win) fanboys have to garbage up every thread. There are plenty of threads comparing Apple with Microsoft and OSX with Win 7/8, this one is about Mountain Lion.:rolleyes:

Eithanius
Jan 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
Too bad :apple: (and Win) fanboys have to garbage up every thread. There are plenty of threads comparing Apple with Microsoft and OSX with Win 7/8, this one is about Mountain Lion.:rolleyes:

Isn't that what Mountain Lion is all about...? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

First it was the iPhone with the iOS, then iPad... and now the iOSification of Mac OS X in the form of Mountain Lion... Flocks of Windows users are hopping on the bandwagon migrating en masse to the Mac platform because Apple have been integrating all these Windows-esque features onto Lion and Mountain Lion. All-side windows resizing, full-screen crap, useless windows animations, social media integration that rips off your privacy...

Who wouldn't be tempted to compare...?

What's next...? Viruses and malwares...? I see it coming...

I missed the old Apple and its exclusivity... It's a good thing SJ got booted out of Apple for the second time... this time straight into his grave...

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 22, 2013, 12:27 PM
I'm actually wishing they'd integrate iOS MORE in the sense that I'd like to be able to run some iOS Apps in OSX (games come to mind given OSX's lack of them and the plethora of them in iOS by comparison). I don't want the interface in OSX...well at least not forced. I don't care about Launchpad being there, but they day they try to replace the dock or something with it is the day I leave OSX for good. As it is, Launchpad is useless. There should be an iTunes configuration panel to set up what you want to appear on it and in what order. They make it very obtuse to use and therefore it's mostly useless.

I've just been reading about how many Intel Macs Mountain Lion left behind, though and I'm fairly astounded. Instead of just offering an option to downgrade eye candy on older machines and let the user know they can't use Airplay Mirror, they just dump them altogether. The problem there is software often (less so with Snow Leopard I think given how many still use it; Lion will probably die faster) starts drying up relatively quickly with Macs compared to Windows and thus you end up with a largely useless computer in time. Time to crack out Linux at that point, I guess or use old software (sometimes dangerous with security holes present that aren't patched).

But operationally, I think I now prefer Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard and I'm about to install it on my late 2008 Macbook Pro (with a CCC backup first in case there are issues like performance or heat as some threads have suggested, at least with early Mountain Lion). I've found alternatives or gotten newer versions for the last of my PPC software, so I think that issue is finally behind me (plus my PowerMac is more or less now retired with my new 2012 Mac Mini i7 Quad Server replacing it). My Netbook Hackintosh will have to remain with Snow Leopard since it's 32-bit, though. I may actually end up putting Linux or (gasp) Windows back on it if I don't get rid of it for awhile. But Snow Leopard support is still good at the moment. It's mostly used for travel where I don't want to worry about a safe or whatever for an expensive MBP, whereas the Netbook used is worth like $100 or less.

oneMadRssn
Jan 22, 2013, 04:43 PM
I'm actually wishing they'd integrate iOS MORE in the sense that I'd like to be able to run some iOS Apps in OSX (games come to mind given OSX's lack of them and the plethora of them in iOS by comparison). I don't want the interface in OSX...well at least not forced. I don't care about Launchpad being there, but they day they try to replace the dock or something with it is the day I leave OSX for good. As it is, Launchpad is useless. There should be an iTunes configuration panel to set up what you want to appear on it and in what order. They make it very obtuse to use and therefore it's mostly useless.
I totally agree. Launchpad is useless, and iTunes needs to be more configurable. That being said, I welcome the iOS inspirations.

I've just been reading about how many Intel Macs Mountain Lion left behind, though and I'm fairly astounded. Instead of just offering an option to downgrade eye candy on older machines and let the user know they can't use Airplay Mirror, they just dump them altogether. The problem there is software often (less so with Snow Leopard I think given how many still use it; Lion will probably die faster) starts drying up relatively quickly with Macs compared to Windows and thus you end up with a largely useless computer in time. Time to crack out Linux at that point, I guess or use old software (sometimes dangerous with security holes present that aren't patched).
The only intel macs they left behind were 32-bit only. Mountain Lion has finally finished OSX's transition to being a completely and only 64-bit OS. Just like Tiger was PowerPC only, Leopard was dual x86 and PowerPC, and Snow Leopard was a completely and only x86 OS, this same transition happened again to x64 CPUs. While Snow Leopard was later (starting with 10.6.3 I think) upgraded to support x64 processors, the old x86 remnants had to go eventually. I am willing to wager that removing the redundant x86 code is partly responsible for why ML seems snappier than Lion. My point is, they didn't dump those older intel Macs out of spite or malice, it's all part of progress. The real question is, why did they keep selling 32-bit intel CPUs in their computers for so long after intel had released updated 64-bit alternatives? Apple kept selling Core Duo for a while after Core 2 Duo came out, for no real reason.

Cave Man
Jan 22, 2013, 05:27 PM
Can anyone tell me why Mail app in ML is so screwed up when it comes to exchange servers? I have dozens of emails that I cannot delete and get the error message "An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “Trash — XXX Exchange”.

And while we're on it, why does Mail sometimes lose all Exchange emails? I have to quit then relaunch Mail and it usually (but not always) finds them again.

Yes, I've repaired permissions - several times. It occurs on all three of my Macs that connect to Exchange servers.

pcmxa
Jan 22, 2013, 07:42 PM

My main issues are:

I also miss a number of things about spaces and expose from Snow Leopard, and really wish Apple would improve multi monitor support, but have found ways to almost get back to where I feel comfortable. I am running three monitors, one a 47 incher. Needless to say I don't use full screen for any app, though at least they wil go full screen to whichever screen they were launched from, but it is a ridiculous amount of linen to be looking at. Theoretically, I understand, applications could make far better use of full screen than they do using panels that could be placed on the other monitors. For example, Photoshop could panelize there palettes so that I could have an image monitor, and a tool/palette monitor, which would be a huge improvement, but given that even Apple's apps don't seem to take advantage of this (I can't move a compose window to a different window in Mail), I don't hold out much hope for other apps to be able to use ful screen effectively anytime soon.

Anyway, how I deal with spaces/fullscreen is by using the options (right clicking on the dock icon) to set the monitor space I always want an application to appear. I have a email, web, pages space, and then spaces for Photoshop, Lightroom, Premier, and After Effects with each of the adobe products work space being set up across the monitors. This works well and is remembered between launches, but is less efficient to navigate around than the old spaces (you have to flick four fingers a bunch of times often to get to where you want to go (I don't use the shortcuts since for whatever reason I can't place the number horizontally in my head the same way I could with a grid so I always get confused between desktop 5 and desktop 6) as opposed to the old grid. But it is good enough.

What I would like is an all app expose that shows me windows in a single space of al open windows/applications in all spaces.

twintin
Jan 23, 2013, 04:48 AM
Can anyone tell me why Mail app in ML is so screwed up when it comes to exchange servers? I have dozens of emails that I cannot delete and get the error message "An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “Trash — XXX Exchange”.

And while we're on it, why does Mail sometimes lose all Exchange emails? I have to quit then relaunch Mail and it usually (but not always) finds them again.

Yes, I've repaired permissions - several times. It occurs on all three of my Macs that connect to Exchange servers.

I'm using the Mail app with an MS 2010 exchange server over VPN and I don't recognize any of your issues, so I wouldn't say it is totally screwed up. Not sure why you have such issue with this combo (perhaps the issue is your exchange server ???).

Platskies
Jan 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
Isn't that what Mountain Lion is all about...? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

First it was the iPhone with the iOS, then iPad... and now the iOSification of Mac OS X in the form of Mountain Lion... Flocks of Windows users are hopping on the bandwagon migrating en masse to the Mac platform because Apple have been integrating all these Windows-esque features onto Lion and Mountain Lion. All-side windows resizing, full-screen crap, useless windows animations, social media integration that rips off your privacy...

<snip>
I bet they made windows resizable by all corners to improve the overall aesthetics of the window (i.e. preventing showing that little control in the bottom-right).

Pre-Windows 8 doesn't have a true distraction-free full-screen mode. The best you can do is maximize the window, but that will still show the title bar. On 10.8, only the window's inner content takes up the entire screen.

Window animations that are useless? What about those animated open/save sheets then? ;)

What's next...? Viruses and malwares...? I see it coming...
How about Gatekeeper and App Sandboxing? They're moves to improve security (and also without applying "the iOS effect" - Sandboxing on the Mac is much broader compared to that on iOS).

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 23, 2013, 05:17 PM
The only intel macs they left behind were 32-bit only.

Sorry, but that is not the case. All Intel Core2Duo Macs that had Intel Integrated GPUs (i.e. all non-pro Macbooks from mid-2008 and earlier) were also left high and dry. They have the same CPU as my 15" Macbook Pro from 2008, but lack the Nvidia discrete GPU.

Mountain Lion has finally finished OSX's transition to being a completely and only 64-bit OS.

Sorry once again, but that's simply not correct. 32-bit software and preference panes still work fine in Mountain Lion. The core and general OS items are 64-bit only now, but it's not a 64-bit only OS and there's nothing wrong with that given 64-bit has limited benefit with most programs that don't need giant chunks of memory.

My point is, they didn't dump those older intel Macs out of spite or malice, it's all part of progress. The real question is, why did they keep selling 32-bit intel CPUs in their computers for so long after intel had released updated 64-bit alternatives? Apple kept selling Core Duo for a while after Core 2 Duo came out, for no real reason.

Again, plenty of 64-bit capable machines got the shaft because of the GPU, not the CPU. And those were the same machines that Apple didn't want to bother offering discrete GPUs. If you wanted a 13" screen Macbook in early 2008, you had no choice. They didn't offer a discrete GPU model. Non-gamers probably figured it just didn't matter, but now they're screwed. OTOH, I think it might be possible to fool OSX ML into installing on such models if the GPU check can be bypassed. The problem is certain eye-candy things will cause Mountain Lion to be slower on them and that is pure laziness on Apple's part. They don't have to force eye-candy on users. They could have an option to turn rotating desktops and what not OFF since they serve no functional purpose what-so-ever, but they don't. If Linux can manage to be configurable, why can't OSX? You can't say it' because Apple doesn't have the resources. If they don't have them, no one does given how much money Apple has on-hand and pulls in these past several years.

I know in Leopard that Tiger Kexts for unsupported graphics cards could be moved over and Leopard would be so much faster on such Macs. I don't doubt something similar could be done for the Macbooks in question. What I question is Apple's motive in such things. One only need look at the short life-spans of iOS updates for given hardware to see they don't care about the user, just making more sales.

koban4max
Jan 23, 2013, 10:40 PM
I was asking for your personal opinion. I have multiple reasons as to why I think OS X is better, but I'm not asking you to debate me on my reasoning.

vise versa.

Kashsystems
Jan 23, 2013, 11:20 PM

What version of Exchange? I use to have issues with exchange 2003, but since moving to exchange 2010 I have had zero issues.

cmChimera
Jan 24, 2013, 06:11 AM
vise versa.

Am I speaking to children?

TPadden
Jan 24, 2013, 08:37 AM
Am I speaking to children?

Vice versa? :eek:

koban4max
Jan 24, 2013, 09:45 AM
Vice versa? :eek:

exactly.

Luis2004
Jan 24, 2013, 10:30 AM
Why does a thread called "The last word on Mountain Lion" have 100+ posts?

TPadden
Jan 24, 2013, 10:37 AM
Why does a thread called "The last word on Mountain Lion" have 100+ posts?

Few are relevant; most are similar to your question (and my answer) :D.

Luis2004
Jan 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
Few are relevant; most are similar to your question :D.

Ouch!

TPadden
Jan 24, 2013, 10:39 AM
Ouch!

Sorry; reload my reply. :o

I edited it almost immediately :).

Luis2004
Jan 24, 2013, 10:49 AM
Sorry; reload my reply. :o

I edited it almost immediately :).

Ha ha, no worries. My own post was a bit childish regardless.

:p

TPadden
Jan 24, 2013, 10:51 AM
Ha ha, no worries. My own post was a bit childish regardless.

:p

...... but accurate.

Cave Man
Jan 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
What version of Exchange? I use to have issues with exchange 2003, but since moving to exchange 2010 I have had zero issues.

It's 2010 version.

MacMan988
Jan 24, 2013, 08:36 PM
Shutting down is still slow. Safari crashes couple of times per day. And the rest is pretty fast and stable :)

Idgit
Jan 25, 2013, 12:35 AM
Core Rot at Apple? (http://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html)

clientsiman
Jan 25, 2013, 02:14 AM
I have had zero problems with ML. The real problem for me is that it's a very minor upgrade, as I don't use the iOS staff that Apple have added.

I guess Ubuntu is much more fun to play with, now that runs Steam.

Kashsystems
Jan 25, 2013, 08:08 AM
It's 2010 version.

The only two resolutions I have seen is either using the rebuild the box option or deleting the account and re-input everything.

That problem you have has been around forever. People have complained about it including on snow leopard.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 25, 2013, 03:50 PM
I have had zero problems with ML. The real problem for me is that it's a very minor upgrade, as I don't use the iOS staff that Apple have added.

I guess Ubuntu is much more fun to play with, now that runs Steam.

Ubuntu has sucked ever since Gnome changed into the most bizarre unfriendly interface ever made. I suppose Kubuntu might be better, but it's not well supported. I have OpenSuse installed on a computer and it's not bad, but Steam doesn't support it thus far.

sjinsjca
Feb 4, 2013, 02:59 PM
Having installed ML on a MBP with a 2.4gHz C2D, and reverted to SL, I'm curious what made you feel this way?

Perhaps my 8GB RAM made the difference.

Generally I found most operations and applications (including virtual machines, which I use heavily) to be, subjectively, 10-15% faster. I attributed it to better use of the ample RAM that machine has. YMMV.

RedRaven571
Feb 4, 2013, 04:59 PM
Perhaps my 8GB RAM made the difference.

Generally I found most operations and applications (including virtual machines, which I use heavily) to be, subjectively, 10-15% faster. I attributed it to better use of the ample RAM that machine has. YMMV.

I also have 8gb RAM in my machine. I agree that, once it was up and running, it ran at least as fast as on SL, maybe faster.

Hoping that 10.8.3 may address the sluggish open/close, if so, I'll be reinstalling ML.

farbRausch
Feb 5, 2013, 08:12 AM
I'm using a mac since Tiger and always enjoyed new Mac OS releases. But looking back I have to admit, that Lion and Mountain Lion just suck. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about FB integration, Launch Pad and all that stuff that I don't need/use. But: Safari&Finder crashes on a regular basis. This is an absolute deal breaker. Also my impression is that the apple applications tend to be more and more unstable since. For example I'm using Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Aperture, Mathematica, TeXShop, XCode, Pages, OpenOffice, Parallels and what not. And I've never seen Chrome, Firefox, OO or Mathematica crash... :rolleyes:
Mac OS still has the best user experience, so I don't consider switching or something. It just hurts a bit, seeing Macs become unstable...

InuNacho
Feb 5, 2013, 10:05 AM

I've read about some of the stuff in that article like the Copy Issues and Disk Utility. To somewhat get around that I installed ML on a separate disk.

I gotta admit that after setting Total Spaces, SideEffects and using those fancy Terminal tricks it does seem kinda like SL. Most of the applications I run on a regular basis seem to work without any issues, except for FCP7 which for some reason defaults everything I was working on to 200%.

There were some pretty big issues, Mail kept failing to update, minimum ram usage doubled, I get this weird "Shutdown Failed because of gamed" message, games seem to stutter a bit more now and then, and a ton of other stuff. I also don't like how Text Edit can't be used for everything anymore.

I'll wait and see what 10.8.3 brings before bothering anymore with it.

MagnusVonMagnum
Feb 5, 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm using a mac since Tiger and always enjoyed new Mac OS releases. But looking back I have to admit, that Lion and Mountain Lion just suck. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about FB integration, Launch Pad and all that stuff that I don't need/use. But: Safari&Finder crashes on a regular basis. This is an absolute deal breaker.

It's not a deal breaker for me considering I avoid Safari like the plague (inferior to Firefox, IMO and what happens when the OS moves on and Safari updates aren't provided for your older OS install like with Snow Leopard right now? You consider Safari crashing a deal breaker, but your stuck with an older more vulnerable Safari in Snow Leopard with no upgrade path what-so-ever except to upgrade the entire OS with it. Hence, I use Firefox regardless.

I've never had Finder crash in Mountain Lion here yet and XtraFinder (whether in Snow Leopard or in Mountain Lion) is just freaking AWESOME. Finally, I get dual-pane window options or automatic separate pane alignment at a mouse click plus tabs and other options. Finder is SO much more pleasant now.

Also my impression is that the apple applications tend to be more and more unstable since. For example I'm using Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Aperture, Mathematica, TeXShop, XCode, Pages, OpenOffice, Parallels and what not. And I've never seen Chrome, Firefox, OO or Mathematica crash... :rolleyes:
Mac OS still has the best user experience, so I don't consider switching or something. It just hurts a bit, seeing Macs become unstable...

I've yet to get a single kernel panic in Mountain Lion (can't say that for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard) and the only Apple program that has crashed on me has been Archive (The "appleevents" process has to be forcibly killed to get it working again for some reason; I've reported the bug to Apple but I'm not holding my breath)

I just installed Mountain Lion on my 2008 Macbook Pro with 8600M GT graphics last night. I'm still reorganizing and cleaning out old PPC stuff and what not, but it does seem a little less responsive in drawing OS-level "eye candy" than Snow Leopard (just the opposite on my new Mac Mini quad-core; it's like lightning), but then Snow Leoapard had less eye candy to draw. I'll have to see how it goes on that machine, but on my Mini it's been simply excellent (other than having to replace Apple's SMB with Samba3 to get XBMC networking to work reliably again since its AFP is unreliable and it doesn't work with Apple's implementation correctly, but SMBUp made short work of that).

MagnusVonMagnum
Feb 5, 2013, 03:42 PM
In terms of overall speed and efficiency on the same older hardware (i.e. 2008 Macbook Pro with the Nvidia 8600M GT and 4GB ram), I'm seeing mixed results using XBench.

CPU efficiency, Memory efficiency, Disk handling efficiency and Quartz (2D) graphics all seem to be steadily improved in Mountain Lion over Snow Leopard here, but User Interface (window drawing/movement/text rendering, etc.) went down almost 20% (and that was down even further from Leopard) and OpenGL (3D graphics rendering) took a nose dive by almost 40% according to XBench. I realize XBench is out of date, but it still runs the same routines OS to OS version. The interface does feel a bit slower overall to me, but then ML runs more eye candy effects overall as well (certainly slower than my new Mac Mini but that's to be expected)

C. Alan
Feb 5, 2013, 05:17 PM
I took my Mac Pro 4,1 from SL to Mountain Lion a few months ago, and I have had a few 'nagging' issues:

1. The screen saver doesn't work. I have searched for and tried several solution, and it seems to fix it for about a day. It has gotten so bad that I now just use a hot corner to force the screen saver on.

2. Bad integration with earlier versions of Iphone. I have Iphoto 2009, and I cannot access the photos from exteral applicaitons from finder. I have to manual photos to a seperate directory outside of the Iphoto database to access them.

3. Swipe to access notifications seems to work about 1/3 of the time.

InuNacho
Feb 5, 2013, 09:32 PM
I took my Mac Pro 4,1 from SL to Mountain Lion a few months ago, and I have had a few 'nagging' issues:

1. The screen saver doesn't work. I have searched for and tried several solution, and it seems to fix it for about a day. It has gotten so bad that I now just use a hot corner to force the screen saver on.

Same Pro model here and I couldn't get screensaver to work either.

throAU
Feb 5, 2013, 09:37 PM

Don't click the full screen button unless you're running a single monitor (e.g., laptop on the move) in which case it is awesome?

Drew017
Feb 5, 2013, 09:50 PM

In my opinion, this is a poorly written article, because it doesn't give hardly any backup to what it says… it's basically some one stating their opinion on how they feel about Apple. Such as saying that "Finder damages the system, and can't do useful things it ought to do" without providing any kind of justification to that. If Finder damages a system it will most likely be from user error IMO :p

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 6, 2013, 12:17 AM
This thread is a pretty long “last word on Mountain Lion”.

;-)

benwiggy
Feb 6, 2013, 03:39 AM
I'm using a mac since Tiger and always enjoyed new Mac OS releases. But looking back I have to admit, that Lion and Mountain Lion just suck. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about FB integration, Launch Pad and all that stuff that I don't need/use. But: Safari&Finder crashes on a regular basis. This is an absolute deal breaker. Also my impression is that the apple applications tend to be more and more unstable since.
And have you investigated the cause of these crashes? You're sure it's a direct result of "something bad" in Mountain Lion? I haven't had any crashes on my two Macs running ML and one running Lion. If ML were generally crashing Apple apps, I think there would be a lot of posts about it.

Computers can crash for all sorts of reasons -- faulty hardware, out-of-date third-party software, incorrectly configured settings.

Have you tested a brand new user account? If you don't get the problem there, then you know that Mountain Lion isn't to blame.

Personally, I really like ML. There are still some bugs, sure; and I want to see them fixed. I don't use the social media integration (which doesn't consume system resources regardless, as some have fretted), but I do like Auto-Save, Resume, Versions, Notes, Reminders, Notifications, AirDrop, and some of the little touches like improved copying in the Finder.