PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my water damaged Powerbook?

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 05:35 PM
Recently, my Powerbook got water spilled on it, god knows how. I just woke up and see it sitting there, locked up, in a puddle of water. I sent it to Apple and they quoted $1300 to fix. I had them just send it back to me.

First off, I won my 15" Powerbook at the Tiger release. So i've got no real monetary loss on this mishap. But I've got a Mac addiction now, I don't want to be stuck using Windows forever. I need to get some advice on what I could do with this. I'm not really interested in paying $1300 to fix it.

Option A: I could part it out, or sell it as a whole. I'm not sure how much money I could get for it as a whole though. They wouldnt' tell me what all is wrong with it. Logic board and CPU are probably fried. I'm pretty sure everything else is alright. Battery still works, the fans turn on when I hit the power button.

If I sold what I could on it, I'd put that money towards an iMac G5.

Option B: Find a local place to repair it. I think I could get it done cheaper locally.

My main issue is figuring out how much I could get for the messed up PB. Whats everyones opinions on what I should do?

eva01
Oct 1, 2005, 05:41 PM
Option C: Give it to me please?

Its going to cost a lot of money to fix it anywhere because if it is the logic board they are pretty expensive (6-700 from my memory)

Part it out if you wish.

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 05:43 PM
Option C: Give it to me please?

Its going to cost a lot of money to fix it anywhere because if it is the logic board they are pretty expensive (6-700 from my memory)

Part it out if you wish.Would it be best to part it out or sell it as a whole?

eva01
Oct 1, 2005, 05:44 PM
Depends really on how much people are willing to pay for parts. I have no idea in this area.

technocoy
Oct 1, 2005, 06:15 PM
specs?

I may be interested in a full purchase.

powerbook911
Oct 1, 2005, 06:15 PM
Option B: Find a local place to repair it. I think I could get it done cheaper locally.

My main issue is figuring out how much I could get for the messed up PB. Whats everyones opinions on what I should do?

This is a tough call. A shame it happened.

You might see what an Apple authorized service place in your area might charge, for the repairs. If they could get it down to a $1000 or less, it might be worth the repair?

However, you might see what kind of offers you can get on it, for parts and for the whole. I believe the Tiger giveaway boxes were 1.33 GHZ 15-inch Combo right? They have that model, as a refurb, at Apple.com right now. It is $1449. Maybe try to get $500-$600 for parts or the whole, and then spend the money to get that refurb offering from Apple.com, or whatever model you want.

Merf
Oct 1, 2005, 06:16 PM
I'll give you like 100 bucks for it. More if you would like.

Merf

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 06:33 PM
specs?

I may be interested in a full purchase.15"/1.5 G4/combo drive/80gb/1gb

Its the latest model. I have Tiger disk that came with it, and iLife. And a pretty nice laptop bag that I bought for it. I upgraded to 1gb RAM a month or so ago. Its Apple cert. RAM too, bought it off a guy who upgraded his 17" to 2 gb.

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 06:34 PM
This is a tough call. A shame it happened.

You might see what an Apple authorized service place in your area might charge, for the repairs. If they could get it down to a $1000 or less, it might be worth the repair?

However, you might see what kind of offers you can get on it, for parts and for the whole. I believe the Tiger giveaway boxes were 1.33 GHZ 15-inch Combo right? They have that model, as a refurb, at Apple.com right now. It is $1449. Maybe try to get $500-$600 for parts or the whole, and then spend the money to get that refurb offering from Apple.com, or whatever model you want.Its the 1.5 GHz

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 06:34 PM
I'll give you like 100 bucks for it. More if you would like.

MerfLame ;)

Mac_Freak
Oct 1, 2005, 08:01 PM
You should be able to get $600-700 for display alone.
I would just sell its parts.

Have you found who messed with your PB yet?

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 08:07 PM
You should be able to get $600-700 for display alone.
I would just sell its parts.

Have you found who messed with your PB yet?Nope :(

If I ever do though, they can count on a broken jaw.

applemacdude
Oct 1, 2005, 08:28 PM
sell it on ebay youll probaly get around $800

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 08:33 PM
sell it on ebay youll probaly get around $800I hope I could get that much. That'd be plenty for me to add to some of what I've got and snatch up an iMac. :cool:

chaos86
Oct 1, 2005, 08:34 PM
Nope :(

If I ever do though, they can count on a broken jaw.

it was me!!! HAHA!!

seriously though, part it out. go here http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/54.0.0.html and figure out what everything is and how to remove it. maybe even sell it all with a doa guarantee if you dont want to find a way to test it all.

on second thought, maybe hold on to it for about 12 months until the parts arent in production any more and theyre really hard to find. i dont know how much that would effect the price (if at all, good/bad), so ymmv.

camomac
Oct 1, 2005, 09:54 PM
why didn't you just let it dry out and then and use warranty on it?

maybe that is sorta lame, but accidents do happen, and apple care IS expensive enough that when something like this happens maybe apple will just fix it...

just a thought, but i guess it might be too late now...

xFU3Lx
Oct 1, 2005, 09:59 PM
why didn't you just let it dry out and then and use warranty on it?

maybe that is sorta lame, but accidents do happen, and apple care IS expensive enough that when something like this happens maybe apple will just fix it...

just a thought, but i guess it might be too late now...I did let it dry out before I sent it in on warranty. They found evidence of water damage and voided the warranty.

EricNau
Oct 1, 2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by xFU3Lx
I did let it dry out before I sent it in on warranty. They found evidence of water damage and voided the warranty.
Tell Apple it came that way out of the box. :p

iDM
Oct 1, 2005, 10:42 PM
Recently, my Powerbook got water spilled on it, god knows how. I just woke up and see it sitting there, locked up, in a puddle of water. I sent it to Apple and they quoted $1300 to fix. I had them just send it back to me.

My first concern would be the spontaneous appearance of H2O.

katie ta achoo
Oct 2, 2005, 12:06 AM
Since you're a fellow PB winner (:D), it would be all profit.

Maybe part it out, and then get an iBook with the money you got?
You'd be back in the Mac world, and it'd be good.

If you feel a need to visit a 15" PB, you can always head to the Apple Store...

xFU3Lx
Oct 2, 2005, 12:07 AM
My first concern would be the spontaneous appearance of H2O.I've already tried to figure it out. I guess someone came into the room while i was gone and spilled somethin on it.

CanadaRAM
Oct 2, 2005, 12:19 AM
I've already tried to figure it out. I guess someone came into the room while i was gone and spilled somethin on it.
Either that or keep a weather eye out for frogs, locusts, boils and general darkness....

yenko
Oct 2, 2005, 01:41 AM
I've already tried to figure it out. I guess someone came into the room while i was gone and spilled somethin on it.

Does anybody carry insurance any more. :p

mjstew33
Oct 2, 2005, 01:55 AM

Yeah, no kidding. Try and see if it can get fixed through that. Got my 'bashed up iBook G4 fixed through insurance.

crazzyeddie
Oct 2, 2005, 02:04 AM

Definitely insurance! Free Powerbook + free replacement. Sounds good to me.

xFU3Lx
Oct 2, 2005, 02:07 AM
Definitely insurance! Free Powerbook + free replacement. Sounds good to me.Insurance denied it.