Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I've bought a copy of windows 8 and i tried installing on parallels. Once the installation starts up it says im missing a driver that either in the harddrive or usb stick? What does this mean and where do i get it, any help would be appreciated :D

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm afraid apple have yet to release drivers for windows 8 in bootcamp. At the moment you will have I stick with windows 7 or wait until the drivers become available I'm afraid.

That said, it will probably still work mostly ok but with a few minor hardware incompatibilities. Magic Mouse, apple keyboard etc. this stuff should sill work, but not as reliably as with the proper apple drivers.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I've bought a copy of windows 8 and i tried installing on parallels. Once the installation starts up it says im missing a driver that either in the harddrive or usb stick? What does this mean and where do i get it, any help would be appreciated :D

I ran win 8 in bootcamp and found the trackpsd did not work and there was no support for my macbook's retina disolay. I eent bsck to windows 7 but will probably return to windows 8 when apple releases a complete win 8 driver package.

washo

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Colchester, UK
I installed this yesterday and worked fine after a few teething issues.

What I did was copy the Win8 .iso to the Mac hdd. Put a Mac formatted usb pen in and run bootcamp assistant. Tick all 3 options and this will make the pen bootable, downloading windows drivers and create the image for you etc.

Install bootcamp then boot into ML and simply install Parallels. I am a Mac novice but it seems fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.