Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2002
I'm debating whether or not to get an imac or an ibook. An imac would offer better ram and processor speed, but an ibook offers versatility. Is power better than versatility, or vice versa?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Considering the number of G4- (AltiVec-) enhanced applications, versatility is more important to my thinking.

The iBook goes anywhere and is fairly powerful. When loaded with RAM, it's decently speedy (a faster hard drive wouldn't hurt Mac OS X at all).

I like the iMac but it's in the middle. It's not as powerful as the PowerMac line and it's not quite portable. Not too hot...not too cold...it's just right? Not for me, but it's still kewl.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I love my iMac, but am currently looking into getting an iBook as well, but I'm glad I got the iMac first. as far as power goes that depends on what kind of work you need the computer for, but with enough ram the iBook runs X really well and is speedy enough, and it has the portability that the iMac does not. Good luck decideing.:confused:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You need to mention that you're planning on playing around with Maya and 3D animation - that might swing the vote towards the iMac :D

D

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
if your doing any kind of animation then you should definitly get the imac, ibook might not suit your needs for that, maybe you could get an older powerbook though if the "versatility" aspect is most important to you.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
diorio, if you have any hope of running Maya PLE then you should get the iMac. Get the iBook further down the road.

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
You need to mention that you're planning on playing around with Maya and 3D animation - that might swing the vote towards the iMac :D

D

Whoops, forgot to tell you all that, so I guess that would change a lot.

diorio, if you have any hope of running Maya PLE then you should get the iMac. Get the iBook further down the road.

I'm definitely leaning that way.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You gotta tell us these things dude.

<smacks diorio silly> oops, too late. :D

I'm in Floriduh, may I change my vote?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by bousozoku

go to http://www.flasharcade.com. there is a game about the florida election on it. its wuite good. and if you like boxes, play cable vs DSL.

anyway. i got me a powermac and after sing it an ibook maxed seems like nothing. get the desktop first and only use the ibook when you have to, if you ever get it. if you have the money (of course) get a pb. they have both advantages and since you dont need a sd (ibooks dont have them so i assumed) then you can save a few bucks and put it into RAM.

hope it helps.

PS. you need a g4 to do anything but use MS word or equivilent

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2002
You gotta tell us these things dude.

<smacks diorio silly> oops, too late. :D

Ha ha, I don't know, are you strong enough to punch the chad out?:D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by diorio

Ha ha, I don't know, are you strong enough to punch the chad out?:D

Hey, let me call him. Chad's a Mac user too. Hey wait...he doesn't like violence. Yeah, I can punch him out. :D

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2002

Hey, let me call him. Chad's a Mac user too. Hey wait...he doesn't like violence. Yeah, I can punch him out. :D

Cause you know, we don't want any dangling chads or any thing like that. If your going to vote for him, punch him out good and strong.:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Durandal7

actually that's the way to get power and versatility...both

when the imac first came out in 1998, it had some power and was purely a consumer machine

but today's imac has a lot of pro features to it

lcd, G4 chip, high RAM capability, large hard drive, etc...

get the imac with superdrive for your main machine and $999 ibook for short stints away from the house...i can't see the need for superdrive on the go for most users ;)

two years from now, it may be common for all laptops to have superdrive as the standard... as the combo drive seems to be the standard entry level for many pc laptops...i don't see just cd-roms too much anymore in laptops

and the ibook, with the amazing sahara version of the G3 chip with half a meg of level 2 cache, isn't a bad machine either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.