PDA

View Full Version : 20-25%discount of apple products?

Wano
Dec 4, 2002, 09:56 PM
Recently, while looking for Powerbok g4s, on ebay, i have come across people seeling information on how to get 20-25% off at apple.com store.

does anyone know anything about this? if so, could you send me the information?

arn
Dec 4, 2002, 10:11 PM
I think it's signing up for the student developer program.

arn

Wano
Dec 4, 2002, 10:16 PM
do you know what that involves?...like any comitments, fees, etc...

arn
Dec 4, 2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Wano
do you know what that involves?...like any comitments, fees, etc...

See these threads. There is a fee.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130366
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131128

MacRoni
Dec 5, 2002, 08:04 AM
I myself have used the ADC discount to purchase a new Ghz powerbook. For students, there is a membership fee of $100. That is all!!! Actually, that fee is well worth the cost to get the discount, as well as all the free developer software and OS upgrades as well. Elegibility is an issue though. You have to qualify, take chances, etc...to be able to get the discount.

P.S.-Once you use the discount, you can't use it again...It's a one/lifetime sort of thing, so make sure you get a really good system!!!

Wano
Dec 5, 2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MacRoni
I myself have used the ADC discount to purchase a new Ghz powerbook. For students, there is a membership fee of $100. That is all!!! Actually, that fee is well worth the cost to get the discount, as well as all the free developer software and OS upgrades as well. Elegibility is an issue though. You have to qualify, take chances, etc...to be able to get the discount.

P.S.-Once you use the discount, you can't use it again...It's a one/lifetime sort of thing, so make sure you get a really good system!!!

Are you taking any developement classes at your college?...or do they give the discount to every ADC student member?
Thanks!

Bradcoe
Dec 5, 2002, 05:29 PM
What type of OS upgrades and other frills come along? I was about to join but realized it costs $100 and couldn't justify it. I'm not about to buy a new mac (I'll think about joining before I do though), and $100 is a lot of money to a poor person like me.

MacRoni
Dec 6, 2002, 10:36 AM
I don't think you need to take any of those classes. It could depend on your major. I am not positive on the requirements when they review your case however. The software that you get in the ADC package is a full version of Jaguar, developer tools, free code, free quicktime seminars, etc...I think its well worth the $100, especially if you need an extra copy of OSX.

makkystyle
Dec 6, 2002, 10:41 AM
I'm a business major and a student developer with a new SDTi sitting at my home in the states waiting for my return:D :D :D :D :p

Wano
Dec 6, 2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by makkystyle
I'm a business major and a student developer with a new SDTi sitting at my home in the states waiting for my return:D :D :D :D :p

What do you mean by "waiting for my return"?

WannabeSQ
Dec 6, 2002, 10:01 PM
I assume he is out of town, and will be returning home shortly.

I wonder if taking Audio classes or Film classes (heavily mac based) would get me that kind of discount.....

jelloshotsrule
Dec 6, 2002, 10:31 PM
there's a line that says you have to be enrolled in a "development" class.

not sure where exactly. seen it when i went through the giddiness of thinking i had found a huge score as well....

Wano
Dec 6, 2002, 10:36 PM
hum...well has anyone got the discount with out being enrolled in a development class?

makkystyle
Dec 7, 2002, 10:15 AM
I am a US citizen and my parents live in the states, but I go to Trinity College in Dublin. Also i'm not allowed to take any courses outside my major, business, and therefore had no developer classes. I had no trouble using the ADC student discount they only require that you fax them a letter from your college stating that you are enrolled and taking classes and a copy of your student i.d.............and voila .......new ti superdrive 1Ghz 1GB $2439 and a new 10gig iPod $319. Money baby!!!

Wano
Dec 7, 2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by makkystyle
I am a US citizen and my parents live in the states, but I go to Trinity College in Dublin. Also i'm not allowed to take any courses outside my major, business, and therefore had no developer classes. I had no trouble using the ADC student discount they only require that you fax them a letter from your college stating that you are enrolled and taking classes and a copy of your student i.d.............and voila .......new ti superdrive 1Ghz 1GB $2439 and a new 10gig iPod $319. Money baby!!!

Thanks for the info...I think I will do that!

WannabeSQ
Dec 7, 2002, 03:39 PM
I remember reading about someone who did that, and when they found out he did not have any developer classes they charged the difference to his credit card. If more people say its possible, I just may try it.

Raiden
Dec 8, 2002, 11:58 AM
Wow! A low end iMac is 950, plus 100 for the ADC membership, plus 200 for MS office comes to a total of 1250. Thats one hell of a deal!!!