Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Just noticed my notes are not syncing to iCloud from my iPhone.

I cannot access them from iCloud.com or from OSX. Just says an error has occurred.

I have tried turning it off in Settings-iCloud and re-adding it but they still won't sync.

Everything else works like calender, contacts etc.

Any ideas?

Babka1

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Notes syncing is flawed but still possible

I spent about 25 minutes with an Apple tech support person and he was both friendly and useless. Didn't have a clue about Notes syncing, but I did find out the answers online.

The fact that Apple has forced its customers to use iCloud for Notes syncing – and intentionally removing syncing ability from iTunes – is both ominous and bad service. If it suggests what is coming in the future, complete forced dependence on iCloud I'm ready to run and hide. They could fix this so easily and give back syncing to iTunes.

In Apple's Brave New World, you'll have to check to make sure that on your iPhone Notes are in your iCloud account. There's a little button at the top of the Notes window that says Accounts. And if you've got Notes that you created before setting up iCloud on your iPhone, they will appear under "iPHone" whereas Notes you created after setting up iCloud on your iPhone will appear under "iCloud". Only those notes that you created afterward will appear in iCloud.

You also need to make sure you don't have Notes set up under an IMAP account like Google, as this will conflict.

Another thing to check: can you create Notes in iCloud.com or on your Mac? And if you create them on your Mac, can you then see them on iCloud.com? That's the first thing to check out to make sure your account is working.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Always check iCloud status first.
http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

No problems for me recently.

OP are you running iOS beta software as your previous posts suggest? Remember betas have bugs and are meant for software development not primary use.

Notes not syncing started happening to me on the last GM before j was on a beta.

Bakka1,

That's the strange thing I cannot create any in iCloud.com or turn on notes in iCloud from within OSX as it just says an error has occurred.

I also don't have the accounts button at the top of notes even if I turn it on for gmail etc also.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.