Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
How much space does Tiger and the preinstalled software use?

Nevermind, 3-4 gb according to apple.com

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
My iBook with a 74GB harddrive (80gb to the retailers), came to me with 60GB left on the HD. Tiger and all of the software that came included took up close to 15GB of space.

I did a clean instal a few days later and after unchecking all of the printer drivers, language support, Nanosaur etc it amounted to a very small footprint of about 4gb. You can always reinstall some of the software on the OS disc at a later date if you want it too.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Project said:
My iBook with a 74GB harddrive (80gb to the retailers), came to me with 60GB left on the HD. Tiger and all of the software that came included took up close to 15GB of space.

I did a clean instal a few days later and after unchecking all of the printer drivers, language support, Nanosaur etc it amounted to a very small footprint of about 4gb. You can always reinstall some of the software on the OS disc at a later date if you want it too.

Thanx, then I'll buy the 60 GB 12" Powerbook not the 80 GB.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You can trim down the install space needed quite a bit using the custom install options as long as you are willing to re-install your OS from scratch.
You have to add in quite a few updates once you're up and running anyway.

Printer drivers, language files, optional apps like Internet Explorer,
etc should help you set up a relatively clean, lean machine.

If you're good about housekeeping or have and external drive,
the 60 GB HD should be fine.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I use my hard drive fairly liberally and have never used more than 40Gb of space, but I don't do video editing nor do I have any DVDs ripped to my hard disk. However I do have 10Gb of music and 7Gb in game installs included in that. So a 60Gb should be fine.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
yippy said:
I use my hard drive fairly liberally and have never used more than 40Gb of space, but I don't do video editing nor do I have any DVDs ripped to my hard disk. However I do have 10Gb of music and 7Gb in game installs included in that. So a 60Gb should be fine.

You had to mention DVD rips....not a bad idea. And they are some big suckers I hear. I have to think a bit.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.