Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
are they compatible with a titanium powerbook?

cause i went to a electronics store today, and i was told that they were...but i've heard that they are not.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
i don't see why the iSub wouldn't work, it's usb. as for the pro speakers, i'm not sure if the powerbooks hav the pro speaker minijack. i'm pretty sure they do, but could anyone verify this?

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Made for Mac...

iSub
iSubs are perfectly compatible with 333 mhz Powerbooks and above running OS 10.1 and above. Click here for the iSub page. Near the bottom you'll find the compatibility listing.

... with Pro Speakers
Apple says: "You’ll be delighted to hear that the Apple Pro Speakers can be used with the Harman/Kardon iSub Subwoofer system for an even richer audio experience." Click here to visit the Apple page. Keep in mind it's referring to the Cube speakers similar look to the Pro Speakers - maybe thats the source of the confusion.

Minijack Verification
Good point beez7777... behind the Airport window, and the PC Card slot and vent louvers...you'll see a headphone minijack line, however, Apple says that "Currently, Apple Pro Speakers should only be used with the new G4-based iMac or the Power Mac with minijack.:

specs_top211012002.jpg

FYI
Just for your information... in case anyone else is wondering, here's what else is on the back of the Titanium Powerbook...

specs_callouts04302002.gif

Ask your source that told you there was a compatibility issue for more info. Follow up here if you can so others can verify the rumor. Be sure to tell your source to visit http://www.MacRumors.com ... the best source for the truth about Mac rumors ;)

:cool:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by beez7777
i don't see why the iSub wouldn't work, it's usb. as for the pro speakers, i'm not sure if the powerbooks hav the pro speaker minijack. i'm pretty sure they do, but could anyone verify this?

Nope, only the iMac and PowerMac. Doesn't really matter. The Pro Speakers arent that great anyways. Sure they sound great but they do have their limits. iSub may be nice but for the money you could get much better. Unless you want matching computer and accesories. Basically with the Pro Speakers you are paying for the logo. I mean come one, a single button apple mouse for 60 dollars, i love my 3 button scroll optical microsoft mouse that costs me 5.

iJon

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
iJon pimps other speakers....

;) some good points though iJon... I use the Sound Sticks. they'll cost about 60 dollars more than the Pro Speaker/iSub combo, but you'll get amazing performance from 44 Hz to 20 kHz. They work perfectly with the Powerbook line (and many other Macs).

I'm guessing you own Pro Speakers already and are using them with your minijack? If that's the case, then you should be able to add an iSub, but be sure to check here for more info about why - there's bound to be someone in the know about why in the next couple posts here. If you're just contemplating a combined purchase of Pro Speakers with an iSub to work with your Powerbook, consider going the SoundSticks Route. A few more dollars, but your friends and family will definitly go oooooo as you produce amazing sound quality and power on your Powerbook.

Above all, make sure the speakers you choose are recommended by Apple and meet Apple's Specifications.

Disclaimer
Human hearing is capable of usefully hearing sounds from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Sounds above 90 db can cause permanent hearing loss through mechanical damage to to the inner ear.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Info:

Pro Speakers... No

iSub... Yes

If you want speakers look at SoundSticks, they're USB and work with PB. They are cheep on ebay or Yahoo! Auctions.

TEG

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: iJon pimps other speakers....

Originally posted by BenderBot1138
;) some good points though iJon... I use the Sound Sticks. they'll cost about 60 dollars more than the Pro Speaker/iSub combo, but you'll get amazing performance from 44 Hz to 20 kHz. They work perfectly with the Powerbook line (and many other Macs).

I'm guessing you own Pro Speakers already and are using them with your minijack? If that's the case, then you should be able to add an iSub, but be sure to check here for more info about why - there's bound to be someone in the know about why in the next couple posts here. If you're just contemplating a combined purchase of Pro Speakers with an iSub to work with your Powerbook, consider going the SoundSticks Route. A few more dollars, but your friends and family will definitly go oooooo as you produce amazing sound quality and power on your Powerbook.

Above all, make sure the speakers you choose are recommended by Apple and meet Apple's Specifications.

Disclaimer
Human hearing is capable of usefully hearing sounds from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Sounds above 90 db can cause permanent hearing loss through mechanical damage to to the inner ear.

Dont know if you were talking to me or not. Actuall on both of my macs i dont have the pro speakers. But we do have them on our imac display at my parents apple store. actually I am really impressed by the sound thos little things make, but they do have their limits. i tell customers they want to invest in some soundsticks or creature speakers because they contain more sound. i also reccomend some other brands that do not match the computer. hell, i even have a 5.1 and sub system from altec lansing that i got for 60 dollars from my audigy drive. here is a question though, i need your guys help. Do the creatures sound good, i haven ever listened to them. I think I am going to convince my mom to tak our newly recieved creatures out of the box and connect it to our display ibook. Just need some output. I think they would look good next to an ibook just because the look really awesome and eye catching. please let me know. thanks

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.