PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Announce Native PDF Support in Office 12.

MacBytes
Oct 2, 2005, 02:54 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft Announce Native PDF Support in Office 12. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051002155408)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

cwtnospam
Oct 2, 2005, 04:35 PM
It does seem strange that they're coming out with it now though, since they were supposed to be coming out with a competing product when/if Vista comes out.

Stridder44
Oct 2, 2005, 05:55 PM
Previously Developed Feature?

Yvan256
Oct 2, 2005, 07:24 PM
That's Microsoft innovation at its best... :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet
Oct 2, 2005, 07:30 PM
That's insanely great! It'll only be a matter of time then before we start receiving files meant for press from people who've turned them out from Office.

You can bet Word PDFs will be as good as Word HTML.

mkrishnan
Oct 2, 2005, 07:33 PM
You can bet Word PDFs will be as good as Word HTML.

:D

Well, though, I do have to say...there isn't any chance they're talking about read-write support, is there? Now that would be a small nicety, but a nicety nonetheless.

And just as long as Office 13 comes out for Macs the year after and rocks the socks off of Office 12, like 2004 does with 2003. :)

PlaceofDis
Oct 2, 2005, 07:37 PM
Microsoft just can't decide what it is they want to do

kiwi-in-uk
Oct 2, 2005, 07:49 PM
Call me a cynic, but I will believe this one when I see it working easily, reliably, and with the right results.

Not an obscurely placed, difficult to use function that works properly only with the most basic Office formatting options and colours.

angelwatt
Oct 2, 2005, 08:16 PM
Microsoft late to the game again. The article tries to make MS open XML format sound like a good thing, but it's not, it's a proprietary hor of MS and will most likely only work with MS. They should have made it real XML and just had a way to bring old documents up to snuff with the new format. I use other ways to get pdf files out of Office that work perfectly and were for free (search for pdfcreater at sourceforge). What would impress me from MS is something that isn't proprietary.

Nermal
Oct 2, 2005, 10:09 PM
Well, though, I do have to say...there isn't any chance they're talking about read-write support, is there?

It's write-only support.

And just as long as Office 13 comes out for Macs the year after and rocks the socks off of Office 12, like 2004 does with 2003. :)

MS have already announced a Mac version of 12.

nagromme
Oct 2, 2005, 10:16 PM
You know what would be cooler? Build PDF support right into an OS itself, available to all apps at all times. Somebody should do that.

PlaceofDis
Oct 2, 2005, 10:26 PM
You know what would be cooler? Build PDF support right into an OS itself, available to all apps at all times. Somebody should do that.

its nice that the article mentions OS X's capabilites too :D

yg17
Oct 2, 2005, 10:56 PM
How innovative :eek: :D

If they can't get HTML right, I'm scared to see how bad the PDF files it produces will look.

nubero
Oct 3, 2005, 06:53 AM
If Apple had allowed other manufacturers to licence its technology and operating systems years ago, Windows would never have been invented; Microsoft would be a small applications developer complaining about the Apple monopoly; Intel would still be making chips for calculators and AMD wouldn't even exist.

... and apple would be mainly a software company with the same problem as microsoft: generating an os that runs on bazillions of different machines from hndrets of vendors. i mean look at the firmware and software updates that they are releasing now even though they make both the sofware and hardware... they do a good job at that but it does keep them busy... i just don't think that this "software developer - common hardware plattform" system works...

if you want a great product that is even remotely IT related you need to make both hardware and software

broken_keyboard
Oct 3, 2005, 07:26 AM
I'm sure the PDFs they produce will be subtley incompatible with normal PDFs. And as the number of these MS-PDFs increases to become the majority - as they must being the product of Office - other vendors will inadvertantly make software that only works with them. And in a few years Microsoft would have completed their takeover of PDF...

IJ Reilly
Oct 3, 2005, 10:40 AM
I'm sure the PDFs they produce will be subtley incompatible with normal PDFs. And as the number of these MS-PDFs increases to become the majority - as they must being the product of Office - other vendors will inadvertantly make software that only works with them. And in a few years Microsoft would have completed their takeover of PDF...

The classic Microsoft strategy called "embrace and extend." Could happen. :eek:

dejo
Oct 3, 2005, 11:19 AM

I thought Microsoft was planning on release a PDF-killer called Metro with Windows Vista. I wonder how this new development fits in.

IJ Reilly
Oct 3, 2005, 11:51 AM
I thought Microsoft was planning on release a PDF-killer called Metro with Windows Vista. I wonder how this new development fits in.

I'd call it a major back-peddle. But as has already been pointed out, Microsoft might be planning on loving PDF to death, just as they did with XML and Java.

Stridder44
Oct 3, 2005, 02:30 PM
... and apple would be mainly a software company with the same problem as microsoft: generating an os that runs on bazillions of different machines from hndrets of vendors. i mean look at the firmware and software updates that they are releasing now even though they make both the sofware and hardware... they do a good job at that but it does keep them busy... i just don't think that this "software developer - common hardware plattform" system works...

if you want a great product that is even remotely IT related you need to make both hardware and software

um, ok?

nubero
Oct 3, 2005, 02:37 PM
um, ok?

just my five cents though... i hope i didn't sound too harsh... it's kinda difficult to get the message through in a foreign language with the intonation it was supposed to have.

i just meant to say that the complexity of the software/hardware relationship today kinda asks for a vendor who does both... but as i said: just my five cents...

mkrishnan
Oct 3, 2005, 04:51 PM
i just meant to say that the complexity of the software/hardware relationship today kinda asks for a vendor who does both... but as i said: just my five cents...

I think, though, that you are definitely right that this makes it easier to succeed, and that there are numerous examples. Although, I'm not so sure it's sufficient or necessary per se. What about the counterexample of Palm and Windows handhelds? Palm had every advantage of that approach plus early marketshare... and is still lost / losing in the long term.