PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Will iOS 7 and 7.1 be compatible with the iPad 3? What about iOS 8+

Apple-Fanboy
Jan 13, 2013, 04:21 PM
I got a iPad 3 White WiFi with 64GB of internal storage for just $499 new (there was a special deal going on in retail stores only), and I was wondering if I will be able to get iOS 7 or 7.1 on it when it comes out. Most people have said that they would be very surprised if it didn't, but I'm just wondering.

However, I have a feeling it won't be compatible with iOS 8 and up which is not bad; I mean iOS 6.0.1 is already great, and iOS 7 is probably going to be awesome, so there's no reason I should be upset actually if either of those don't come out, but it's just out of curiosity.

Kilamite
Jan 13, 2013, 04:23 PM
Yes, it will. Apple doesn't cut out devices that are only a few months old from the next iOS iteration.

iOS 8 will too I'm sure.

mrsir2009
Jan 13, 2013, 04:24 PM
iOS7 definately will. iOS8 most likely will, although it may have some features with-held :)

TacticalDesire
Jan 13, 2013, 08:08 PM
I'm 90% sure the iPad 2 will be seeing iOS 7. The iPad 3 definitely will. It will also likely see iOS 8.

quietstormSD
Jan 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah, they are still selling iPad 2's and we are at iOS 6 at the moment. So iPad 2's should still see iOS 7, so I think it's save that the 3rd generation iPad will see iOS 7, and most features in iOS 8 if not all.

Mess
Jan 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
As above. Yes.

FSMBP
Jan 14, 2013, 02:34 PM
Yes, it will see it.

Ironically, a lot of people here said the reason for the 1st iPad didn't get iOS 6 was because Apple wasn't selling it anymore; the same stupid argument can be made to the iPad 3 (Apple isn't selling it, so it isn't supporting it).

Aside with playing Devil's Adocate, iPad 3 will get iOS 7.

takeshi74
Jan 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Most people have said that they would be very surprised if it didn't, but I'm just wondering.

Wondering what? People can only speculate and go on history. A lot of speculation doesn't become fact.

clauzzz203
Jan 16, 2013, 09:19 AM
Tim Cook's profit margin approach will make iOS 7 the last it will ever get. Or possibly 6.x.

Dwalls90
Jan 16, 2013, 09:45 AM
Should it? Yes. Will it? Who knows.

I think the only real iOS devices to get screwed with iOS updates are the first or second of each generation. Seeing as they're still selling the iPad 2, I would fully expect that to get updates until iOS 7 and likely iOS 8.

Apple Customer
Jul 16, 2013, 12:25 PM
Where did you buy your iPad 3? You got a great deal. Please email me at: ryan.gitzen7@gmail.com

Jakimo
Jul 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
iOS 7 will certainly work, iOS 8 will install but features will be crippled.. no biggie!

jonnyb098
Jul 16, 2013, 02:54 PM
A simple visit to http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/ will help. :cool:

iOS 8 will probably still support iPad 2 since the mini is still new and uses the exact same processor. And the iPad mini for sure will support iOS 8

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
By the way, this thread is from 6 months ago.

Jakimo
Jul 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Apple decisions to support products aren't tech based, but time based

I've been with them since before the Mac existed, it's always been the case

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 02:59 PM
Apple decisions to support products aren't tech based, but time based

I've been with them since before the Mac existed, it's always been the caseFor the most part, with iOS at least, it's mostly been based on what is still officially being sold by Apple at the time of announcement/release of a particular update. That said, a lot of times there are also additional explanations for something not being supported due to technical reasons--something not being there in iPhone 4 hardware to support Siri, not enough hardware power for the original iPad to support iOS 6 (and beyond), etc.

Jakimo
Jul 16, 2013, 03:05 PM
(Not exclusively time based, but many times products have not been supported not because of tech reasons - but end of support life as defined by Apple.)

For instance my Mac Pro from 2006 is not supported by Apple to run Mountan Lion. Yet I run it with zero probs (had to hack a tiny bit) and others already have Mavericks working fine on it! :)

dcp10
Jul 16, 2013, 03:08 PM
No need to speculate on iOS 7, scroll to the bottom of this page, but note the fine print

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

regarding iOS 8, like others have stated, it's too soon to tell

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 03:12 PM
No need to speculate on iOS 7, scroll to the bottom of this page, but note the fine print

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

regarding iOS 8, like others have stated, it's too soon to tellAgain, the original question and most of the thread was from January this year, when pretty much no (official) information about iOS 7 was available.

dcp10
Jul 16, 2013, 03:19 PM
Missed that it was from January, thanks

chekz0414
Jul 17, 2013, 09:32 AM
I think iOS 8 will support everything but the iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Everything else but with a bit of limited support, and everything

cynics
Jul 17, 2013, 09:49 AM
Regardless of thread age. There really isn't a good reason it won't get iOS 7, I doubt Apple will burn iPad 3 owners that bad. The only hold up with the 3 isn't its inability to play games with full effects like the iPad 2 and 4 can.

The OS itself doesn't need that sort of processing power. Game devs will just continue to cripple games per device.

Zimmy68
Jul 17, 2013, 02:12 PM
Regardless of thread age. There really isn't a good reason it won't get iOS 7, I doubt Apple will burn iPad 3 owners that bad. The only hold up with the 3 isn't its inability to play games with full effects like the iPad 2 and 4 can.

The OS itself doesn't need that sort of processing power. Game devs will just continue to cripple games per device.

Wait, what? What is this game with full effects that the 2 and 4 can that the 3 can't you speak of?
First I am hearing.

barkomatic
Jul 17, 2013, 03:01 PM
The iPad 3 won't get iOS 8 because upon its release it was under powered--that's why the iPad 4 came out so soon after. The decision to upgrade a device is based upon whether the hardware can provide a good experience and I'm afraid the iPad 3 stutters even on iOS 6. I'm an iPad 3 owner btw.

It will definitely get iOS 7 though so its good for another year.

C DM
Jul 17, 2013, 03:17 PM
The iPad 3 won't get iOS 8 because upon its release it was under powered--that's why the iPad 4 came out so soon after. The decision to upgrade a device is based upon whether the hardware can provide a good experience and I'm afraid the iPad 3 stutters even on iOS 6. I'm an iPad 3 owner btw.

It will definitely get iOS 7 though so its good for another year.It's somewhat hard to say if that will be the case or not. Given that iPad 3 is still a fairly recently released iPad, you never know. I guess we'll see when iOS 8 is announced/released.

Zimmy68
Jul 18, 2013, 07:03 AM

It will definitely get iOS 7 though so its good for another year.

Underpowered? It is much more powerful then the mini and you think they won't put ios8 on that?

When the iPad 4 came out every review said it was faster in tests but real world applications, the speed difference was barely noticed.

One of the reasons I skipped the latest iPad.

I will probably upgrade to the next one but saying the 3 is so much weaker then the 4 is silly.

garirry
Jul 18, 2013, 07:13 AM
but saying the 3 is so much weaker then the 4 is silly.

It's less powerful. In tests, yes it's 2x less powerful than the 4. Once the iPad 3 comes to his end (iOS 8) you'll see how 4 is more powerful than the 3. It's like: Try see the difference between an G3 and a G5 both running Mac OS 8.:confused:

Zimmy68
Jul 18, 2013, 02:20 PM
It's less powerful. In tests, yes it's 2x less powerful than the 4. Once the iPad 3 comes to his end (iOS 8) you'll see how 4 is more powerful than the 3. It's like: Try see the difference between an G3 and a G5 both running Mac OS 8.:confused:

No argument from me but now, the difference isn't that much.
My point if they make the next os so much slower on the 3, how is it going to work on the weaker mini?

And I'm still waiting to hear from cynic about his claim...

ipad 3's inability to play games with full effects like the iPad 2 and 4 can.

garirry
Jul 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
My point if they make the next os so much slower on the 3, how is it going to work on the weaker mini?

iPad Mini won't stay long because it has the same processor as the iPad 2. iPad 2 won't support iOS 8, but iPad Mini yes. My opinion is that they will upgrade late this year the Mini with an A6 or A6X and the new one will be more compatible. I hope the Mini will support iOS 8, but come on, the iPod Touch 5G probably will and same for the iPhone 4S. They all run A5.

C DM
Jul 18, 2013, 04:09 PM
iPad Mini won't stay long because it has the same processor as the iPad 2. iPad 2 won't support iOS 8, but iPad Mini yes. My opinion is that they will upgrade late this year the Mini with an A6 or A6X and the new one will be more compatible. I hope the Mini will support iOS 8, but come on, the iPod Touch 5G probably will and same for the iPhone 4S. They all run A5.If they are essentially pretty much the same (size and perhaps cameras aside) then it sounds like both could support iOS 8 (of course Apple might cut one out just because).

tymaster50
Jul 18, 2013, 09:56 PM
I was gonna say "what's the point of this question if theres a beta for the iPad 3?" Then I saw the upload date and wondered why the hell someone bumped this thread.

SakuraSuki
Jul 19, 2013, 12:35 AM
iPad Mini won't stay long because it has the same processor as the iPad 2. iPad 2 won't support iOS 8, but iPad Mini yes. My opinion is that they will upgrade late this year the Mini with an A6 or A6X and the new one will be more compatible. I hope the Mini will support iOS 8, but come on, the iPod Touch 5G probably will and same for the iPhone 4S. They all run A5.

The A5+ basically uses same processor as A5, it just have better graphic card. The processor raw power is nearly identical. iOS 7 runs perfectly fine on iPhone 4S. I definitely think iPad 2 will get iOS 8. iPad Mini will also get iOS 8. By the time of iOS 8, iPad Mini just around 2 years. I don't think Apple will drop iPad Mini.

C DM
Jul 19, 2013, 12:57 AM
The A5+ basically uses same processor as A5, it just have better graphic card. The processor raw power is nearly identical. iOS 7 runs perfectly fine on iPhone 4S. I definitely think iPad 2 will get iOS 8. iPad Mini will also get iOS 8. By the time of iOS 8, iPad Mini just around 2 years. I don't think Apple will drop iPad Mini.They dropped the first iPad pretty quickly.

irDigital0l
Jul 19, 2013, 02:13 AM
They dropped the first iPad pretty quickly.

Not really...it started with iOS 3.2 and ended with iOS 5.1.

Plus it only had 256MB RAM.

SakuraSuki
Jul 19, 2013, 08:28 AM
They dropped the first iPad pretty quickly.

iPad 1 is exception... It has 256MB of memoery.... Currently only iPad 3 and iPad 4, iPhone 5 have 1GB of RAM... Devices at come out this year not likely get memory bump... Probably Apple will have memoery bump next year. But anyway, if Apple to drop iPad Mini, it means iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5G will not be included in support list. Given iPhone 4S and iPod Touch will countine to in market, i think iOS 8 would have support for iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5G and also iPad Mini. Also there is no reason for iPad 3 left out.

iOS 9 however, things will be very different. iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5G, iPhone 4S probably won't have support. iPad 3 will like iPad 2 now, with bunch of feature missing out

Tubamajuba
Jul 19, 2013, 11:30 AM

The iPad mini is only weaker in GPU performance. The CPU is exactly the same. And for that matter, the GPU in the iPad mini and iPad 2 is more than capable of running at 1024x768. The A5X is less than adequate to drive the 2048x1536 retina display in the iPad 3. So in practice, the iPad mini and iPad 2 feel faster at some tasks than the iPad 3. It's not a deal breaker for me personally, but my iPad 3 stutters on occasions where my mini is butter smooth.

Logically, it follows that gaming performance would suffer as well. I don't know what the situation is like now, but at the launch of the iPad 3, developers had to make the decision between full resolution or full effects. Simply keeping the iPad 2 resolution wasn't going to fly, so some developers decided to run their games at about 1.6x the resolution of the iPad 2 so they could maintain the graphical effects that the iPad 2 could handle. Games that were lightweight could run at the full 2048x1536, of course.

So to overly simplify the discussion about gaming performance, we have an iPad 2 with great graphics, an iPad 4 with great graphics and retina resolution, and an iPad 3 with either great graphics or retina resolution, or some compromise of the two. The iPad 3 simply does not have the power to drive graphically intensive games at the full 2048x1536. This won't matter for most iPad 3 owners- yet. But as iOS itself becomes more resource intensive, it wouldn't surprise me to see the iPad 3 become unsupported quicker than either the iPad 2 or iPad mini.