PDA

View Full Version : What is your iBook w/ external display setup?

JarinS1
Oct 2, 2005, 07:32 PM
I'm looking to purchase an external display for my iBook and utilize the screen spanning hack. Anyone have a good setup without a sacrifice in performance? Anyone using a 17+" widescreen display?

JS

mjstew33
Oct 2, 2005, 07:34 PM
I use this monitor: image of the monitor (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007V27YE.01-A32GQFXXXZFCSG._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg). It's a GEM 190B, 19" Screen, 1280x1024. It actually has a DVI port, too.

atik
Oct 3, 2005, 08:57 AM
Just purchased a an LG L1950S 19 inch lcd (inexpensive, I really don't need a high end model) today to go along with my 12 inch iBook. It's sweet. Performace considered, dashboard and expose are really slow, but expose is handy even if it's slow (as it very very cool looking when you use it when there's no performace issues). I thinking about getting an iCurve and a bluetooth keyboard also to us my laptop in a non-laptop manner.

But, whatever you choose to buy, you'll enjoy the ability you use dual screen.

one3
Oct 3, 2005, 09:26 AM
I have my 12" ibook hooked up to a 17" Samsung LCD (730B). I must say that the colors/hues are a little off and have not been successful making them perfect yet despite many hours of adjustments. I think it has to do with a combination of the screen spanning hack and the fact that the little VGA adaptor has to be used. A DVI interface (if the ibook had one) would I am sure make the colors much better as there would be no 'translation' of the signal.

I initially purchased the 19" version of the Samsung LCD (930B) but returned it in exchange for the 17". I find the 17" much crisper as it supports the identical resulution (1280x1024) but over a smaller area, thereby giving a lower pixel pitch. I especially noticed this on just regular text and curved lines. It's much sharper and crisper on the 17". I do some design work on this setup and the 19" version was just not sharp enough. I think for web surfing etc the 19" might be just fine.