PDA

View Full Version : Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just..another iOS

WhackyNinja
Jan 13, 2013, 11:17 PM
Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just another iOS

simsaladimbamba
Jan 13, 2013, 11:21 PM
Sorry to interrupt, but the only choices in that poll are "Yes" and "No", but to which question? I guess to the new direction one?

Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just..another iOS
Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just the same thing

Anyway, we will maybe see the start of a new direction, but probably not a full new direction.

throAU
Jan 13, 2013, 11:27 PM
It will be another incremental improvement.

WhackyNinja
Jan 13, 2013, 11:38 PM
It will be another incremental improvement.

I don't think Apple can afford such a small iOS update. iOS 7 has to be good cause Android will beat it if its not already ahead

maxosx
Jan 13, 2013, 11:43 PM
Apple has become extremely conservative. iOS 7 is most likely going to be a small incremental update. That's not bad, it's the Apple way.

The biggest problem is Apple has no one to hype it up like before. Now on a more level playing field, Apples being tested.

JS82712
Jan 13, 2013, 11:46 PM

I'll answer when you learn to make a proper poll.

throAU
Jan 14, 2013, 12:51 AM
I don't think Apple can afford such a small iOS update. iOS 7 has to be good cause Android will beat it if its not already ahead

That is your opinion. There are plenty of people who dislike android specifically because it is so easily customized and different from release to release. i.e., Enterprise users.

Just look at how much OS X has changed in the past 11 years for an indication as to how much change you're likely to see in iOS.

Hell, even compare the core UI concepts to the original mac in 1984.

The UI will not change much.

irDigital0l
Jan 14, 2013, 12:53 AM
ssdd

same ***** different day

buddybd
Jan 14, 2013, 01:53 AM
I hope its a revolutionary step for iOS, not just a overhaul.

Now that they have a larger screen, it's high time they moved the back button from the top left to the bottom area. I have average sized hands, and basically anything that's on the top of the screen requires me tilting the phone towards the finger to reach it or completely using my thumb and risk losing my grip.

Beeplance
Jan 14, 2013, 02:23 AM

Apple doesn't care about other people. Apple doesn't listen to customers. Apple thinks they're always the best. Apple will always do what they like.

Remember that.

sagar4995
Jan 14, 2013, 03:07 AM
doubt it'll head for a new direction. minor incremental improvements i'd think.

MMOTotal
Jan 14, 2013, 05:59 AM
Apple needs to shake things up to keep people interested. I think most were expecting something big with iOS 6 but when Scott stood up on the stage and feature number 1 was "Siri improvements" I knew then it wouldn't be as big as people were hoping.

torana355
Jan 14, 2013, 06:07 AM
It NEEDS to be a major update, Apple have no choice, Apple are already having to slow down production of the iPhone 5 due to people moving to other phones.

WhackyNinja
Jan 14, 2013, 06:25 AM
It NEEDS to be a major update, Apple have no choice, Apple are already having to slow down production of the iPhone 5 due to people moving to other phones.

I just think Apple can't afford another small iOS update. Android will win against them

Insulin Junkie
Jan 14, 2013, 07:26 AM
While Apple's gated ecosystem and lust to control every aspect of their software experience definitely has its upsides (safe, simple, conform), I remember a considerable amount of people raising a stink over Apple's approach back when their approach started and ended with having to sync your iPod through iTunes. However, Apple gear was the most innovative thing out there, and offered features the competitors just outright did not have. (Certain Apple devices still have this benefit today.)

While enough people will prefer the gated approach in the future regardless of what the competition are up to, I can easily see many of the complainers of old (who have been sticking around for the sole reason that Apple was *ahead*) jumping ship, if they haven't already. I'm one of those people who prefer open solutions, it was really just a matter of Android becoming viable, and honestly, despite finding Jelly Bean amazing, I still think the iPhone is the more complete package. For how long yet, is a legitimate question, though. The choice is no longer as crystal clear as it was back in the day, Apple need to step up their game: the vast majority of people don't care if Android started off as a derivative, they care for what it offers them today. (The fact that Pratchett has blatantly copied off Tolkien's work hasn't stopped millions of people from reading his books, either. People don't care if something is derivative, they just care if it's a good derivative with its own set of benefits, and Android most definitely is.)

"Can't top perfection" > I laugh every time I see that comment. An OS isn't like wine, it ain't gettin' prettier with age. I wanna see them whip that comment out in another 5 years, should iOS stay pretty much the same way it is now. Of course, by then the competition won't only be .2 steps ahead, but leaps and bounds ahead. I predict iOS limping painfully behind Android (and other up and coming operating systems) in the near to medium future, and no amount of "been there first" or "never change perfection" is going to alleviate their ailment in the long-run.

And now we get people claiming that doing the conservative thing is Apple's way? No, they've always been game changers, conservative only in their hunger for control, certainly not in their approach to innovation and breaking the mold. "Bold, Innovative, Progressive" are words which I associate with Apple, indeed, words most people associated with Apple, "conservative" being the term most people had down for Microsoft. The fact that people are starting to see Apple as the conservative entity is quite telling, in its own way.
And no, I'm not some jaded old twat, I just really feel that iOS 7 needs to drastically step up its game, perhaps even break the mold once more, show people how far ahead a mobile OS can be, instead of shuffling behind Android and hollering "me too!" like it seems they've been doing lately.

And yes, the poll is confusing. You'd do well to re-examine it, OP.

nfl46
Jan 14, 2013, 09:14 AM
I'll be surprised if it anything drastic.

fisherking
Jan 14, 2013, 09:23 AM
outside of the 12 people who live on this forum....:D
most users just use their phones, they don't sweat the details.

apple would be insane to change things too much; the average user just wants his phone to run well.

i hope to see:
some GUI changes
improvements
more improvements

but, as all things apple...they'll do what THEY choose to do...

Michael Goff
Jan 14, 2013, 09:57 AM
I just think Apple can't afford another small iOS update. Android will win against them

You can't win a race that doesn't end.

Zaft
Jan 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
I think IOS6 was a set up for a big update like iOS 5. I believe there will be some UI changes but nothing drastic.

Parise
Jan 14, 2013, 10:52 AM
That is your opinion. There are plenty of people who dislike android specifically because it is so easily customized and different from release to release. i.e., Enterprise users.

Just look at how much OS X has changed in the past 11 years for an indication as to how much change you're likely to see in iOS.

Hell, even compare the core UI concepts to the original mac in 1984.

The UI will not change much.

Kind of fact, hence sales numbers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/iphone-demand_n_2470922.html

WeegieMac
Jan 14, 2013, 12:28 PM
iOS needs to be revamped, but not by adding widgets to the home screen.

The UI needs unified, it's all over the place in iOS 6. I'm on a 2 year contract with my 4S until May 2014, so I have a long time until I em eligible for an upgrade.

Android never previously interested me, and while I prefer the fluidity and look of iOS, I have looked at that S3 I turned down at the last second when taking out the 4S somewhat enviously at times.

If Apple don't get the finger out and quit these ridiculous incremental updates that add new versions of exactly the same then I may end up doing the one thing I never thought I would, which is switch to Android for my phone needs.

Mess
Jan 14, 2013, 12:58 PM
It will be the same old with a new wrapper.

I dont think we shall see any major changes until 8. Im happy to be proven wrong though. :cool:

throAU
Jan 14, 2013, 06:50 PM
Kind of fact, hence sales numbers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/iphone-demand_n_2470922.html

Not disputing waning demand. I was referring to apple being unable to afford keeping iOS the same. That was your opinion, which differs from mine.

There is no "fact" yet because it has not been demonstrated either way. I'll be proven wrong only if they keep iOS 7 the same and go broke.

WhackyNinja
Jan 14, 2013, 07:38 PM
iOS needs to be revamped, but not by adding widgets to the home screen.

The UI needs unified, it's all over the place in iOS 6. I'm on a 2 year contract with my 4S until May 2014, so I have a long time until I em eligible for an upgrade.

Android never previously interested me, and while I prefer the fluidity and look of iOS, I have looked at that S3 I turned down at the last second when taking out the 4S somewhat enviously at times.

If Apple don't get the finger out and quit these ridiculous incremental updates that add new versions of exactly the same then I may end up doing the one thing I never thought I would, which is switch to Android for my phone needs.

I was close to getting the Galaxy Nexus before I decided the iPhone 5. But Yes I totally agree

mrsir2009
Jan 14, 2013, 08:07 PM

Pretty big assumption.

iMikeT
Jan 14, 2013, 08:14 PM

Hindsight is always 20/20 in these things and it's never clear until someone has all ready done it. With that, let me ask the most obvious questions... What does Apple NEED to do to iOS to beat Android? Better yet, what are YOUR suggestions for changes to iOS so Apple can beat Android?

I find it pathetic that people constantly whine about Apple needing to improve the iPhone and iOS in such a way that it is more compelling than the competition otherwise they'll refuse to update. Seriously? :rolleyes: The mobile platform is starting to hit maturity like the desktop and notebook platforms, neither of which have seen any drastic changes in the last 30 years. It's so easy to say what something should do but it ends up being impractical in the end.

Let me just say that I have used Android devices and most suck. The hardware is clunky and I've never found one that is actually comfortable to hold because every device has a screen bigger than it should. Then the software sucks.... The Android os is nowhere near as responsive, polished, or uniform as iOS. When I'm with the girl I'm seeing, I cringe when ever I use her phone. It's some Sony Android phone that's super clunky and uncomfortable to hold.

guitarmandp
Jan 14, 2013, 08:37 PM

apple would be insane to change things too much; the average user just wants his phone to run well.

I don't agree with this. I think if the average person just "wanted his phone to run well", then iPhones would still be the luxury item they were in 07 when I bought my first iPhone and the majority of people would be using flip phones.

I think people want a very clean user experience, they want their phones to do a lot of cool things, but I don't think they want to spend a lot of time customizing it.

To use an analogy. Facebook added a bunch of new features last year such as friends lists and the ability to put different friends in different groups and filter news feeds by certain people, and to unsubscribe from people's posts, restricted lists, etc...

While all of these features leads to a much better user experience I think most people don't want to spend a lot of time putting different friends in different groups so they will continue to use the defaults. They just want to get on and post a status update or a photo of their kids and then get on with their life.

The people that obsess over friends lists, put people on their restricted lists, etc... are in the minority.

fisherking
Jan 14, 2013, 09:26 PM
I don't agree with this. I think if the average person just "wanted his phone to run well", then iPhones would still be the luxury item they were in 07 when I bought my first iPhone and the majority of people would be using flip phones.

I think people want a very clean user experience, they want their phones to do a lot of cool things, but I don't think they want to spend a lot of time customizing it.

To use an analogy. Facebook added a bunch of new features last year such as friends lists and the ability to put different friends in different groups and filter news feeds by certain people, and to unsubscribe from people's posts, restricted lists, etc...

While all of these features leads to a much better user experience I think most people don't want to spend a lot of time putting different friends in different groups so they will continue to use the defaults. They just want to get on and post a status update or a photo of their kids and then get on with their life.

The people that obsess over friends lists, put people on their restricted lists, etc... are in the minority.

i dunno. i LIKE itunes 11, but am watching friends stress over it, it's not an intuitive transition from previous itunes.

i think most people rarely visit the Settings on their phones; they don't configure notifications, do not disturb, etc. they just USE their phones.

and apple usually "improves" their OS's, rather than radically change them...
UNLESS we're due for a leap like classic-to-OS X. but i doubt that's coming.

either way, change is good, and am looking forward to whatever ios7 brings...

guitarmandp
Jan 14, 2013, 10:43 PM
The one feature that I have absolutely no doubt is coming is quick reply

bushman4
Jan 14, 2013, 10:51 PM
Big update to iOS as well as new hardware features needed for next update. Anything less will not have the grasp necessary to leap forward.

whoknows87
Jan 14, 2013, 11:06 PM
I really Hope so I personally went from an iPhone 5 to the Nexus 4 because iOS is just lacking in so many areas also I couldn't wait any longer for a jailbreak that would've solved a few issues and would've extended my stay, There are just a few features that iOS can add, they added Do not Disturb, but for some odd reason will not give you the option to block individual calls, send to voice mail, Lock Apps, the Multitasking is also just not there ..... I really hope they do it get it together , they can't be that stubborn anymore and the numbers speak for themselves and the options out there are numerous, GS3,Nexus,Xperia, Windows Phones etc

WeegieMac
Jan 15, 2013, 03:36 AM
I was close to getting the Galaxy Nexus before I decided the iPhone 5. But Yes I totally agree

The biggest issue, without doubt, is the fear of change.

I have over 400 apps, many for iPad but the majority are iPhone apps. I change my mobile platform and those apps are rendered a waste of money until I choose to return to the iPhone later. Yeah I can run them at x2 on my iPad but its hardly the optimal experience.

My main problem with Android was that even on the flagship handsets, it wasn't as smooth as iOS on the 4S/5. With Google's "Project Butter" that barrier has been removed. Opinions of Jelly Bean on the S3 is that it makes a huge and immediately noticeable difference to the fluidity of the UI.

Random 995K
Jan 15, 2013, 07:20 AM
The biggest issue, without doubt, is the fear of change.

I have over 400 apps, many for iPad but the majority are iPhone apps. I change my mobile platform and those apps are rendered a waste of money until I choose to return to the iPhone later. Yeah I can run them at x2 on my iPad but its hardly the optimal experience.

My main problem with Android was that even on the flagship handsets, it wasn't as smooth as iOS on the 4S/5. With Google's "Project Butter" that barrier has been removed. Opinions of Jelly Bean on the S3 is that it makes a huge and immediately noticeable difference to the fluidity of the UI.

It's still way behind in fluidity. Go try it out (if you haven't). Opening the applications section of an S3 takes 2-3 seconds and swiping across lags every time still, just to a less amount. This was an S3 on jb at a local store.

slwiser
Jan 15, 2013, 07:25 AM
Opinions of Jelly Bean on the S3 is that it makes a huge and immediately noticeable difference to the fluidity of the UI.

The upgrade to Jelly Bean did make it a good bit more fluid but it still is not as fluid as my wife's iPhone5 with 6.01. Google still has a way to go but they are coming up behind very fast in my opinion. Apple playing it safe is a bad ideal right now. There are times when one has to change and this may be the time for Apple to do something significant.

stevelam
Jan 15, 2013, 09:34 AM
as long as it can be jailbroken i could care less what apple does because frankly, every new change they've added has been pretty lacklustre. from the underutilized notification center to still not being able to see when exactly someone sent you a text message.

cydia devs > apple devs

stoneland
Jan 15, 2013, 11:09 AM
I think it would be more of the same...iOS will probably always just have the same grid of icons that, by now, is "iconic" Apple.

floobie
Jan 15, 2013, 11:53 AM
The overall UI paradigm won't change. At least, I'd be very surprised if it did. iOS will always be about the Springboard. It's dirt simple and requires no explanation.

So, those expecting a completely new UI paradigm might be best off looking elsewhere.

Those expecting refinements and new features, on the other hand, will certainly get a decent amount of that in iOS7. Certainly more than iOS6 offered.

Personally, I'm still quite happy with what iOS is. I've tried all the good Android phones out there, and I do think that Android is a great OS... especially in its raw state (don't care for the manufacturer skins). I can say the exact same thing about Windows Phone. It's a great OS with some very novel ideas. But, in both cases, I wouldn't really benefit in any real way. If anything, it would require a lot more effort to keep my devices synced, and the UIs would complicate much of what I normally do with my phone.

I can see how Android and Windows Phone would be much better suited to heavy social media users. While I use Facebook and Twitter occasionally, it isn't something I really need constant updates on or deep integration into my phone. The "People" apps in Windows Phone and Android are really good ideas, and I can see how heavy social media users would benefit from something like that.

That said, I do have a bit of a wishlist:

- Mail: Contact group support. OS X Mail has this... why can't iOS Mail?
- A Do Not Disturb toggle built into Notification Centre (ala. Notification Centre in OS X)
- I'd like to see the music player controls moved to a Notification Centre widget, as opposed to its current spot in the multitasking bar.
- The ability to pin calendar and reminder entries to the Notification Centre, regardless of whether or not they have an imminent date assigned to them.
- The ability to choose default apps for browser, e-mail, and maps.
- More app inter-connectivity.
- A few live icons... weather, time...
- The ability to add a contact directly from the Messages app.
- Add some basic lock screen widgets. A weather one would be very nice.
- Somewhat of a unification of Photos and iPhoto.

ravenvii
Jan 15, 2013, 02:59 PM
I think IOS6 was a set up for a big update like iOS 5. I believe there will be some UI changes but nothing drastic.

I would agree with you, but unfortunately unlike Mountain Lion, iOS 6 was buggy as all-out. It does not provide a good foundation for a significant update, like Apple has done with Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

Apple has its work laid out for itself, that's for sure, securing the foundation AND bringing a "tick" update. No one but themselves to blame, but still.

rvancil
Jan 18, 2013, 08:44 AM
Do I think they will change it drastically? No

Do they need to reinvent the wheel? No

Do they need to rethink a lot of what is getting stale? Absolutely

Ive now has more control over the way the software will look and flow, so I definitely expect to see that reflected in iOS7...His hardware designs are hands down the best in the industry, by a mile. iOS still has the smoothest scrolling, and the most responsive touchscreen on the market...I have the 920, Nexus 4, and the 5...I don't know if apple just has the best patents, or the best tech, but the everyday usability of the 5 is 100% more pleasant than the other two. They are all really fast now, but I constantly find myself frustrated at the way the other 2 handle touch inputs...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it takes ***** 5 touches until the right link is hit...iOS I'd say correctly senses 99% of the touches I make on it...That is the biggest thing for me, I've found with these touch phones false inputs drive me absolutely bat **** crazy.

IFRIT
Jan 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
Apple arn't going to jeopardize the cashcow, so they will add a few bits and pieces and make a big song and dance about it like always.

nuckinfutz
Jan 18, 2013, 01:44 PM

i hope to see:
some GUI changes
improvements
more improvements

but, as all things apple...they'll do what THEY choose to do...

This

It's a phone people. Not some transcendent device. Most people just want to email, call and surf the net as easily as possible. i"m not sure what life altering features you are looking for and judging from the manner at which many of you fail to articulate your wishes ..I don't think you know either.

Business find success by appealing to the broadest cross sections not appeasing bored and fickle people that do not know what they want or need.

illusion787
Jan 18, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'll answer when you learn to make a proper poll.

haha agreed!!!

WeegieMac
Jan 19, 2013, 07:28 AM
It's still way behind in fluidity. Go try it out (if you haven't). Opening the applications section of an S3 takes 2-3 seconds and swiping across lags every time still, just to a less amount. This was an S3 on jb at a local store.

So I tried an S3 out today in store. I have to say I was blown away by the display, it's so much more vibrant than my 4S and even the 5 in the store.

As for fluidity, I found the S3 to be fast when opening apps, responsive, and very smooth when navigating Android.

I want that phone.

Shame I'm under contract to 2014!

Random 995K
Jan 19, 2013, 09:56 AM
So I tried an S3 out today in store. I have to say I was blown away by the display, it's so much more vibrant than my 4S and even the 5 in the store.

As for fluidity, I found the S3 to be fast when opening apps, responsive, and very smooth when navigating Android.

I want that phone.

Shame I'm under contract to 2014!

Disagree completely, the S3 display is not the best and many other computers come way closer to the iPhone 5. Here's is a report done by a very credible website when it comes to displays. http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

As for smooth..... I won't even bother. Just check this video out if you want to see the difference between a phone that has its software from the same manufactures and one that uses software from a different company and to make matters even worse, adds touchwiz to it. http://youtu.be/0acT2-xLdHc

There really is no comparison imo but whatever floats your boat. And if you want I can send you a video of the 4s opening 7/10 apps (that were tested by this particular YouTuber) faster than the S3. Remember I am saying the 4s!

WeegieMac
Jan 19, 2013, 10:49 AM
Disagree completely, the S3 display is not the best and many other computers come way closer to the iPhone 5. Here's is a report done by a very credible website when it comes to displays. http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

As for smooth..... I won't even bother. Just check this video out if you want to see the difference between a phone that has its software from the same manufactures and one that uses software from a different company and to make matters even worse, adds touchwiz to it. http://youtu.be/0acT2-xLdHc

There really is no comparison imo but whatever floats your boat. And if you want I can send you a video of the 4s opening 7/10 apps (that were tested by this particular YouTuber) faster than the S3. Remember I am saying the 4s!

Mate, with the utmost respect, I don't want bombarded with links with "proof". Why is it on this site that people bombard others when they don't agree with their opinion? That's not a slight against you personally, but just in general.

I've owned every iPhone since the iPhone 3G, but I really regret not checking out the S3 before I signed on the dotted line. iOS is stale, sure it's gorgeous and fluid to use, but it needs ... something.

The demo unit had six home screens, one with widgets and the rest with full pages of apps, and the swiping between home screens was very, very fluid. No lag or stuttering, but then again the 4S doesn't lag on iOS 6 either.

I'd also like to point out that I never said the S3 screen was "the best", to use the words of your accusation. Another MacRumors trait, is that rule number 243? "Thou Shalt Put Words In Ones Mouth"?

I said the display on the S3 is more vibrant and has better contrast than the 4S, and the screen looked more colourful and vibrant the the 5 at full brightness. Using my 4S side by side, at full brightness, was painful. Opening apps was extremely fast on the S3, and the only thing I DIDN'T like about the S3 was the build quality. It feels woefully cheap in comparison due to the materials used to build it.

I don't care about brand loyalty, I just feel that the time is coming to make a change and a platform I too once derided and ridiculed on these very pages in the past has actually impressed me upon me giving it a chance.

MozMan68
Jan 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
Mate, with the utmost respect, I don't want bombarded with links with "proof". Why is it on this site that people bombard others when they don't agree with their opinion? That's not a slight against you personally, but just in general.

I've owned every iPhone since the iPhone 3G, but I really regret not checking out the S3 before I signed on the dotted line. iOS is stale, sure it's gorgeous and fluid to use, but it needs ... something.

The demo unit had six home screens, one with widgets and the rest with full pages of apps, and the swiping between home screens was very, very fluid. No lag or stuttering, but then again the 4S doesn't lag on iOS 6 either.

I'd also like to point out that I never said the S3 screen was "the best", to use the words of your accusation. Another MacRumors trait, is that rule number 243? "Thou Shalt Put Words In Ones Mouth"?

I said the display on the S3 is more vibrant and has better contrast than the 4S, and the screen looked more colourful and vibrant the the 5 at full brightness. Using my 4S side by side, at full brightness, was painful. Opening apps was extremely fast on the S3, and the only thing I DIDN'T like about the S3 was the build quality. It feels woefully cheap in comparison due to the materials used to build it.

I don't care about brand loyalty, I just feel that the time is coming to make a change and a platform I too once derided and ridiculed on these very pages in the past has actually impressed me upon me giving it a chance.

Screen resolution and loading speeds are not matters of opinion.

stevelam
Jan 19, 2013, 12:01 PM

sorry but when you say iOS is 'stale', what magical awesome things are you expecting to do on the s3?

WeegieMac
Jan 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
Screen resolution and loading speeds are not matters of opinion.

Yes, but there was no pixels on the S3 screen.

It's hardly 3GS to 4 difference.

----------

sorry but when you say iOS is 'stale', what magical awesome things are you expecting to do on the s3?

And here they come.

For the first time I can see why Android fans think you're zombies on here ...

Sarcastic, ridiculing tones.

A bright, unified UI for a start would be nice. And no I don't want widgets.

Hastings101
Jan 19, 2013, 12:26 PM
It will be another incremental improvement, Apple has gotten way too comfortable with their OS and doesn't want to change it. Android is really beginning to tear iOS apart when it comes to features but Apple doesn't seem to care much lol. You can only hide behind "Oh, its simplicity is what makes it blah blah" for so long, especially when the competition has managed to become just as "simple" but offers many more options.

Random 995K
Jan 19, 2013, 12:37 PM

Im sorry, i probably should have just respected your opinion. BTW when i said the S3 screen is not the best i didnt mean it like that...its hard to transfer tone and empahasis over the web. What i meant is its very good just not the best (not that you said that its the best). Hard to explain without tone lol. The thing is i believe ios is stale as well but i have played around with android enough (and actually had a samsung ace) to know that for me atleast that android got boring after a while. The reason imo that everyone thinks ios is stale is because they have used it for so long. Android has not changed much visually either but because people feel like a change they go there (and then quite a few come back to ios like i did). Anyway i see where you are coming from and wish you luck with watever you choose to get in the future.

EDIT: Just to add the S3 can only go to about 60% of the iphones brightness at max. 330 nits compared to 500.

Bahroo
Jan 19, 2013, 01:32 PM
It will be another incremental improvement, Apple has gotten way too comfortable with their OS and doesn't want to change it. Android is really beginning to tear iOS apart when it comes to features but Apple doesn't seem to care much lol. You can only hide behind "Oh, its simplicity is what makes it blah blah" for so long, especially when the competition has managed to become just as "simple" but offers many more options.

First of all current Jelly Bean Android is no where near as simple as iOS. Android has so many subsystems and menus its quite confusing. Android still has ways to go before it can be called as "simple" as iOS

NumberNine
Jan 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
I would expect the same boring garbage.

WeegieMac
Jan 19, 2013, 04:48 PM
Im sorry, i probably should have just respected your opinion. BTW when i said the S3 screen is not the best i didnt mean it like that...its hard to transfer tone and empahasis over the web. What i meant is its very good just not the best (not that you said that its the best). Hard to explain without tone lol. The thing is i believe ios is stale as well but i have played around with android enough (and actually had a samsung ace) to know that for me atleast that android got boring after a while. The reason imo that everyone thinks ios is stale is because they have used it for so long. Android has not changed much visually either but because people feel like a change they go there (and then quite a few come back to ios like i did). Anyway i see where you are coming from and wish you luck with watever you choose to get in the future.

EDIT: Just to add the S3 can only go to about 60% of the iphones brightness at max. 330 nits compared to 500.

Great reply, someone willing to have a discussion rather than make sarcastic digs.

It's hard to put a finger on just what iOS needs now. As someone said earlier in the thread, the mobile OS has certainly reached maturity now, meaning it's hard to add something that doesn't come off as a gimmick.

For iOS I'd like to see, as mentioned before, a unified OS. It's just too all over the place, it makes the OS feel unpolished even if it doesn't hinder the performance. Siri needs to be usable, it's become the very definition of a gimmick. When voice recognition software can't recognise the simple sentence, "Set my timer for 20 minutes" and thinks you want to set a table and tries to find restaurants, it's annoying and just detracts from the flawless experience Apple portray Siri to be in their (albeit US centric) commercials. The Google search app has no issues understanding my accent, so the issue lies with Apple's software.

It's only natural when using the one platform for so long (2008) to look elsewhere and wonder what's being done by other developers and manufacturers. I found your comment about brightness interesting, because I never use my iPhone or iPad at full brightness, it's just too bright.

I don't want Apple to add widgets, something those on Android seem a little too obsessed with and almost smug at having. I see that the S3 has a widget to watch a video while on the home screen? It looks awfully clunky and tacked on, another prime example of the gimmicks I mentioned earlier on.

I did in actual fact watch the video you mentioned which showed an S3 lag while scrolling on Geekbench's results screen. Very interesting, as the demo unit I used today showed no lag in scrolling, although that could have been a specific problem with the Geekbench app? Also, the video reviewer mentions he's using a US version of the S3. Does the US version not "only" have a Dual Core chip whilst the international version uses a Quad Core "SnapDragon" chip? Please, someone correct me otherwise if I am wrong. Still, even with a Dual Core chip that level of lag is unacceptable.

All I did was try a phone out that's not an iPhone, report my opinion, and was latched onto by the fanboys. I've been a Mac user since 2000, owned every model of iPod from G1 to the 2nd gen iPod touch (until I got my 3G), and now iPhone and iPad. I'm not suddenly anti-Apple, but just because I prefer one company and their products does not mean I cannot look at the competition.

ajvizzgamer101
Jan 19, 2013, 06:15 PM

It will be incremental but big.

Siri will come out of beta, Maps will get huge improvements, we will finally get third party widgets in the notification center, lot of refinements like maybe a better multitask bar.

A Hebrew
Jan 19, 2013, 07:17 PM
Though not exactly ios, I think the best update they could add is a 24 hour trial period on paid apps (App Store and Mac App Store)

Bones1906
Jan 19, 2013, 07:41 PM
Although that would be nice, it probably won't happen. Even Google changed their policy to 15 minute trials of paid apps.

Apple would likely say that most paid apps have a free version even if it doesn't allow trying all features of an app.

craznar
Jan 19, 2013, 08:40 PM
I like iOS the way it is for the same reason I hate OSX the way it is.

On a phone or tablet, I want a predictable solid and unchanging experience like I do on my PVR or Dishwasher, that is a phone or tablet is a specific functionality device.

On a computer I want flexible, changeable and powerful functionality that I can do things the way I want, because for me a computer is a generic device.

So rock on iOS - evolution not revolution please.

Random 995K
Jan 19, 2013, 11:10 PM
Great reply, someone willing to have a discussion rather than make sarcastic digs.

It's hard to put a finger on just what iOS needs now. As someone said earlier in the thread, the mobile OS has certainly reached maturity now, meaning it's hard to add something that doesn't come off as a gimmick.

For iOS I'd like to see, as mentioned before, a unified OS. It's just too all over the place, it makes the OS feel unpolished even if it doesn't hinder the performance. Siri needs to be usable, it's become the very definition of a gimmick. When voice recognition software can't recognise the simple sentence, "Set my timer for 20 minutes" and thinks you want to set a table and tries to find restaurants, it's annoying and just detracts from the flawless experience Apple portray Siri to be in their (albeit US centric) commercials. The Google search app has no issues understanding my accent, so the issue lies with Apple's software.

It's only natural when using the one platform for so long (2008) to look elsewhere and wonder what's being done by other developers and manufacturers. I found your comment about brightness interesting, because I never use my iPhone or iPad at full brightness, it's just too bright.

I don't want Apple to add widgets, something those on Android seem a little too obsessed with and almost smug at having. I see that the S3 has a widget to watch a video while on the home screen? It looks awfully clunky and tacked on, another prime example of the gimmicks I mentioned earlier on.

I did in actual fact watch the video you mentioned which showed an S3 lag while scrolling on Geekbench's results screen. Very interesting, as the demo unit I used today showed no lag in scrolling, although that could have been a specific problem with the Geekbench app? Also, the video reviewer mentions he's using a US version of the S3. Does the US version not "only" have a Dual Core chip whilst the international version uses a Quad Core "SnapDragon" chip? Please, someone correct me otherwise if I am wrong. Still, even with a Dual Core chip that level of lag is unacceptable.

All I did was try a phone out that's not an iPhone, report my opinion, and was latched onto my the fanboys. I've been a Mac user since 2000, owned every model of iPod from G1 to the 2nd gen iPod touch (until I got my 3G), and now iPhone and iPad. I'm not suddenly anti-Apple, but just because I prefer one company and their products does not mean I cannot look at the competition.

Yes i believe the international has a quad core processor and makes it the faster model but only slighlty (because the actual arceticture, Exynos, of the chip is different and considerably worse, the international version also has 1GB ram compared to 2 for the US version. Overall, the 4 cores of the international version makes it very slightly faster despite that is is a worse SoC and has less ram).

I am also interested with the direction of Siri as it is still in "beta". I don't have many problems with Siri but my only complaint is it could be faster like the google one is. Howerver the google one is not integrated into the phone which is a big thing for me. Hopefully when it gets out of beta it will be faster and more accurate :)

Im not a fan of widgets either as they decrease battery life by quite some margin and consume a significant amout of CPU when the device is idle, causing the lag on the homescreen in many non high end android devices that dont have powerful chips. However i wouldnt mind some shortcuts for wifi and some other settings that could be accesisble in the multitask bar. iOS 7 will be very interesting and hopefully the UI is refreshed a bit. If it isn't i will still stay with iOS because i am already invested in the ecosystem and performance comes first for me. I think if they did change the UI and make it worse (for the sake of changing it) there would be a lot of people that would be dissapointed especially those who were not "bored" of iOS because they just got an iphone. We have to remember that the people that say iOS is stale are those how have had an iphone since the 3G or 3GS (like me). :)

btw what do you mean by a unified OS? I don't know what that means lol.

stevensr123
Jan 20, 2013, 12:10 AM
My guess small changes which a would be annoying because there are a few features that could basically change the whole usage of iOS for the better, for instance widgets alone who sort of redline how people us there iOS devices, that alone would make the experience ever better.

Then iOS features for the ipad such as multiple accounts, side by side apps like windows 8, even small changes like delete all emails , a close all applications option, quick settings in the notification bar like android to turn flight mode on, wifi, Bluetooth etc

These are all these that should have been implemented a few generations ago most likely, all of which would improve the usage and usability of the ipad. iOS is the greatest for apps as well, but it seems apple has restricted the best tools to create the best apps (web kit I heard?).

It just seems silly to me and these are some of the reasons why some people are starting to jump ship and people are getting bored of there I devices.

But I also understand why they seem to be doing it, they are trying to milk it as long as possible because the iPhone is slowly becoming perfection in there eyes, and they will come to the point were they are running out of new ideas.

Will be interesting to see what direction they will choose though, waiting to long could be a double edged sword.

nuckinfutz
Jan 20, 2013, 12:27 AM
There's no need to clutter up the UI with toggles. Siri can already launch apps today so it's but a small jump to give Siri the ability to turn off/on some settings with the user voice. Keeping the UI clean should be paramount because it is essential given the desire to keep things simple.

Those expecting drastic changes are simply not being realistic. Mobile phone OS aren't about being flashy they're about being efficient. I suspect that the next iteration of iOS will be more "fluid". Maybe their codenames should start being named after liquid or bodies of water. The focus is likely going to be about reducing friction. Sharing functionality will become easier, eventually I see some apps as being able to provide processes within other apps without fully launching. The ideal would be akin to Services with a nice UI and solid paradigm.

Location will continue to be important and putting context upon your location will be the next step. My phone needs to understand the world around me regarding points of interest and more and keep me focused on tasks that can be handled or various other bits of data.

I suspect that security will be a huge point of emphasis for iOS 7 and 8. The move will be toward creating a layer between your personal data and the rest of the world that abstracts and protects you. Rather than be password based it'll biometric along with your Apple ID or some other secondary form of authentication. If done right it'll open up opportunities for commerce, general security and deliver other benefits that go beyond what adding NFC can do.

Don't expect a barn burner release. Tectonic Plates shift ever so slowly until the pressure builds and something amazing happens. Phones are similar ...the shifts happen until a point of inflection and a major change occurs.

WeegieMac
Jan 20, 2013, 03:04 AM
Yes i believe the international has a quad core processor and makes it the faster model but only slighlty (because the actual arceticture, Exynos, of the chip is different and considerably worse, the international version also has 1GB ram compared to 2 for the US version. Overall, the 4 cores of the international version makes it very slightly faster despite that is is a worse SoC and has less ram).

I am also interested with the direction of Siri as it is still in "beta". I don't have many problems with Siri but my only complaint is it could be faster like the google one is. Howerver the google one is not integrated into the phone which is a big thing for me. Hopefully when it gets out of beta it will be faster and more accurate :)

Im not a fan of widgets either as they decrease battery life by quite some margin and consume a significant amout of CPU when the device is idle, causing the lag on the homescreen in many non high end android devices that dont have powerful chips. However i wouldnt mind some shortcuts for wifi and some other settings that could be accesisble in the multitask bar. iOS 7 will be very interesting and hopefully the UI is refreshed a bit. If it isn't i will still stay with iOS because i am already invested in the ecosystem and performance comes first for me. I think if they did change the UI and make it worse (for the sake of changing it) there would be a lot of people that would be dissapointed especially those who were not "bored" of iOS because they just got an iphone. We have to remember that the people that say iOS is stale are those how have had an iphone since the 3G or 3GS (like me). :)

btw what do you mean by a unified OS? I don't know what that means lol.

Again, thanks for the reply.

By a unified OS I mean the visual style which right now is too varied. The music app used to be grey/silver but is now all black for example. I'd just like to see the same look across the interface, be in the menubar, the colours used, etc. The linen, which was a welcome introduction in iOS 4, now needs to go in my opinion. I know Forstall and Jobs were fans of skeuomorphism but I just don't see what the Linen backgrounds on the likes of Folders and Siri are supposed to represent.

I agree with others that there won't be drastic changes and I don't think there will be, but it just needs a good clear out of the bad habits it's picked up over the years. Ditch the skeuomorphism, unify the colours/style across the full stock OS, improve Siri, add toggles for WiFi/3G and brightness to the Notification Center or lock screen.

The brightness one is huge, for me personally, because the iPad's extra screen estate allowed Apple to put a brightness slider in the multi-tasking tray, and it's so convenient. Surely they could just add another swipe to the right and bring up a brightness slider on the iPhone also? Sure, you have auto brightness, but I turn it off as I find it utterly pointless and never seems to adjust to a level I find suitable.

If we must have widgets, then open up the Notification Center API's to the likes of Twitter and Facebook for example and allow users of those devices to have a quick update widget in the Notification Center. I don't want to see the top half of the home screen utilised by a big, daft widget with two or three rows of icons below it.

I'd also like to see the JB tweak "Zephyr" implemented officially. We can already drag down from the top of the screen to open the NC, so why can we not flick or push up from the bottom to open the multi-tasking tray? Zephyr allows exactly this, one finger push up from the bottom of the screen or flick up with your thumb and the multi-tasking tray opens. No double pressing, no wear and tear on the home button.

----------

[/COLOR]There's no need to clutter up the UI with toggles. Siri can already launch apps today so it's but a small jump to give Siri the ability to turn off/on some settings with the user voice. Keeping the UI clean should be paramount because it is essential given the desire to keep things simple.

Those expecting drastic changes are simply not being realistic. Mobile phone OS aren't about being flashy they're about being efficient. I suspect that the next iteration of iOS will be more "fluid". Maybe their codenames should start being named after liquid or bodies of water. The focus is likely going to be about reducing friction. Sharing functionality will become easier, eventually I see some apps as being able to provide processes within other apps without fully launching. The ideal would be akin to Services with a nice UI and solid paradigm.

Location will continue to be important and putting context upon your location will be the next step. My phone needs to understand the world around me regarding points of interest and more and keep me focused on tasks that can be handled or various other bits of data.

I suspect that security will be a huge point of emphasis for iOS 7 and 8. The move will be toward creating a layer between your personal data and the rest of the world that abstracts and protects you. Rather than be password based it'll biometric along with your Apple ID or some other secondary form of authentication. If done right it'll open up opportunities for commerce, general security and deliver other benefits that go beyond what adding NFC can do.

Don't expect a barn burner release. Tectonic Plates shift ever so slowly until the pressure builds and something amazing happens. Phones are similar ...the shifts happen until a point of inflection and a major change occurs.

Using Siri to turn on/off settings takes longer than opening the Settings app. By the time you hold in the home button, wait for Siri to acknowledge it's listening, say "Turn off WiFi", then wait for the response from the server you could have opened the Settings app and done it yourself.

A quick toggle on the lock screen or in NC (see NC Settings on Cydia, brilliant tweak and looks exactly how it would if Apple implemented it) would be quicker than opening the Settings app and going to the setting section required. Flick down NC, tap the WiFI icon and it either greys out or goes solid white (off or on).

Simples.

http://cdn.iphone4jailbreak.org/wp-content/uploads/settings-shortcut-on-notification-centre-Optimized.jpg

Random 995K
Jan 20, 2013, 07:49 AM
Again, thanks for the reply.

By a unified OS I mean the visual style which right now is too varied. The music app used to be grey/silver but is now all black for example. I'd just like to see the same look across the interface, be in the menubar, the colours used, etc. The linen, which was a welcome introduction in iOS 4, now needs to go in my opinion. I know Forstall and Jobs were fans of skeuomorphism but I just don't see what the Linen backgrounds on the likes of Folders and Siri are supposed to represent.

I agree with others that there won't be drastic changes and I don't think there will be, but it just needs a good clear out of the bad habits it's picked up over the years. Ditch the skeuomorphism, unify the colours/style across the full stock OS, improve Siri, add toggles for WiFi/3G and brightness to the Notification Center or lock screen.

The brightness one is huge, for me personally, because the iPad's extra screen estate allowed Apple to put a brightness slider in the multi-tasking tray, and it's so convenient. Surely they could just add another swipe to the right and bring up a brightness slider on the iPhone also? Sure, you have auto brightness, but I turn it off as I find it utterly pointless and never seems to adjust to a level I find suitable.

If we must have widgets, then open up the Notification Center API's to the likes of Twitter and Facebook for example and allow users of those devices to have a quick update widget in the Notification Center. I don't want to see the top half of the home screen utilised by a big, daft widget with two or three rows of icons below it.

I'd also like to see the JB tweak "Zephyr" implemented officially. We can already drag down from the top of the screen to open the NC, so why can we not flick or push up from the bottom to open the multi-tasking tray? Zephyr allows exactly this, one finger push up from the bottom of the screen or flick up with your thumb and the multi-tasking tray opens. No double pressing, no wear and tear on the home button.

----------

[/COLOR]

Using Siri to turn on/off settings takes longer than opening the Settings app. By the time you hold in the home button, wait for Siri to acknowledge it's listening, say "Turn off WiFi", then wait for the response from the server you could have opened the Settings app and done it yourself.

A quick toggle on the lock screen or in NC (see NC Settings on Cydia, brilliant tweak and looks exactly how it would if Apple implemented it) would be quicker than opening the Settings app and going to the setting section required. Flick down NC, tap the WiFI icon and it either greys out or goes solid white (off or on).

Simples.

Image (http://cdn.iphone4jailbreak.org/wp-content/uploads/settings-shortcut-on-notification-centre-Optimized.jpg)

Thanks for the detailed explanation on a unified OS, maybe we will see that now with Ive. That JB thing sounds interesting but im sorta used to the double tap :p Btw that image at the bottom implements the shortcuts like apple would haha very apple-esque.

And ye the brightness thing on iphone is a no brainer, remove the volume slider!

zin
Jan 20, 2013, 09:18 AM
I think that it will be an update with over 200 new features, which are all amazing and revolutionary.

zone23
Jan 20, 2013, 09:19 AM
I've already decided to sell my iPhone.

TacticalDesire
Jan 20, 2013, 11:37 AM
I don't care what apple does at this point. I've been primarily an iOS user for the last 4 years but I've always liked android and now I've switched to it full time with the nexus 4 and
couldn't be happier. Jellybean is now fluid and smooth and I have yet to witness a stutter. Previous versions of android have always had a tendency to stutter or lag no matter how fast your device is. Jellybean seems to have fixed that. I bought a 32gb 5th gen touch so I will still have a foot in the door for iOS and I'll keep an eye on things but for the next couple years, its android for me.

gotluck
Jan 20, 2013, 11:56 AM
Allowing users to opt out of the walled garden and truely own their device would revolutionize iOS :D

Skika
Jan 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
Allowing users to opt out of the walled garden and truely own their device would revolutionize iOS :D

allowing bloatware apps without quality control is revolution

Please no. You want to add 20 dancing and sparkling widgets to you phone while being allowed to install all kinds of crapware just buy an android. I want my mobile OS to stay functional and to allow me to get things done.

cobbyco
Jan 20, 2013, 12:57 PM
I've never understood why there is a volume slider on the multitasking bar. You can adjust volume with the buttons on the side, so why would you need that there? Why not put the brightness or sounds slider there instead?

And the linen. It doesn't look right anymore. Actually I never really liked it anyway. Why not have a consistent UI across the OS?

I've also taken some screenshots of some of the UI 'bugs'. Take a look below:
Picture 1 + 2 showing different glass colour where the time is.
Picture 3 showing UI styling from iOS 1-5 in the cover flow. More importantly why is that even still there? It was removed in iTunes...
Picture 4 showing a lock at the top of the lockscreen even though that was removed.
Picture 5 showing linen and overly rounded corners.

Edit: can only upload one picture, why?

irDigital0l
Jan 20, 2013, 01:30 PM
Although iOS 7 should be a real new update unlike iOS 6 I think we're going to see another iOS 6.

My expectations weren't even that high for iOS 6. Don't understand why Apple won't update the lock screen, home screen, notification center, multitasking.

-still need to double tap to use multitasking
-still need to individually delete all the apps in multitasking
-still can't share videos like photo stream
-weather, clock icons still dont show accurate infio
-FaceTime still cant make group calls
-Notification Center still wont sync with other devices
-New iTunes, App Store, iBookstore redesign sucks
-Most stock apps could use a redesign

Bahroo
Jan 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
Although iOS 7 should be a real new update unlike iOS 6 I think we're going to see another iOS 6.

My expectations weren't even that high for iOS 6. Don't understand why Apple won't update the lock screen, home screen, notification center, multitasking.

-still need to double tap to use multitasking
-still need to individually delete all the apps in multitasking
-still can't share videos like photo stream
-weather, clock icons still dont show accurate infio
-FaceTime still cant make group calls
-Notification Center still wont sync with other devices
-New iTunes, App Store, iBookstore redesign sucks
-Most stock apps could use a redesign

And this is exactly why i think iOS 7 will be a huge update. Scott forstall is gone and you can bet Ivy is making a heavy influence on the software side now like his heavy influence on the external designs of iphones

gotluck
Jan 20, 2013, 03:01 PM
Please no. You want to add 20 dancing and sparkling widgets to you phone while being allowed to install all kinds of crapware just buy an android. I want my mobile OS to stay functional and to allow me to get things done.

So... Dont opt out?

TacticalDesire
Jan 20, 2013, 04:07 PM

So don't use any of that? Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. You should really get out of the garden more.

Gmerdude
Jan 20, 2013, 08:54 PM

I'm hoping so although I love the look of the apples iOS and don't want it to look like androids

Bahroo
Jan 21, 2013, 12:00 AM

I know what you mean by the vividness of the S3 screen... I used to have one then i gave it up for a iPhone 5. The deep blacks on the S3 is really nice i will give it that but the pentile is what killed it for me. My brother has the Note 2 and its non pentile so it is better then the S3 scren..it defitnetly looks pretty nice i will admit but text and everything looks sharper on the i5 display obviously 275 ppi for note 2 and 326 for i5. The colors on both displays (Note 2 and S3) are vivid and bright but its too oversaturated and i actually prefer the i5 retina display much more. I think its because Samsung doesnt calibrate their screens? Not only that but there is defitnetly this latency lag with Android whenever you touch the screen whether it's scrolling or pinch to zoom iOS defitnetly follows your finger better, i feel like when i scrolled with Android i was dragging things. Thats the difference between iOS and Jelly Bean Android. Jelly Bean makes Android more consistent defitnetly, but a bunch of apps and others still dont have that buttery 60 fps feel all the time like it is on iOS. These android apps still stutter and have frame lag ocassionally and this is what the difference is between Android and iOS.

As for Key Lime Pie i dont know what features it will bring but all i know is that Apple defitnetly needs to bring it this year and they can still stay out on top.

justinxtreme
Jan 21, 2013, 05:17 AM
I want them to surprise me :) I'm expecting something like what happened with the Apple TV iOS 4 to iOS 5 update, a user interface refresh. Of course that would ruin consistency as a whole for iPhone, which it is known for (and a reason I have praised iPhone for) but at this point, who cares?

I've been using the Note 2 for a while with a custom ROM (ParanoidAndroid 4.1.2, Phablet mode) and my iPhone 5 is sometimes starting to feel a little dated, I never thought I would say that especially considering how far back Android was just a year ago, but it's the reality for me. Trying out Android sometimes (especially with the stock "vanilla" Android ROMs), I feel like I'm proving wrong the misconceptions I have of Android sometimes, where it felt really slow to browse just even the internet with.

This is coming from someone who loves the 4S, who loves the 5, who loves the 4, I've gone through each and every iPhone there is and when the 4S was out facing the S II, the 4S was definitely the superior of the two on each category. However I couldn't imagine a year later I would be saying an Android phone feels like an overall better phone than the next generation iPhone especially with all we got this year (I really wasn't counting on Apple to increase the screen size, even though it was way overdue)

Of course Android's ecosystem is still not as well built together as Apple's iTunes, it's not even close but nowadays it's only part of the reason I've been willing to stay with my iPhone. If the next generation iPhone and iOS doesn't impress, I will just call it quits and call the 5 my last iPhone, I like the 5, but it feels like iPhone is reaching it's prime, I don't know how much better it gets than the 5 at this point, especially with Apple's design language, I'm not really expecting them to release a 4.8-inch device and I'm sort of hoping they don't. I want them to surprise me some other way and not fall for the usual increase the screen size technique.

TriJetWhite
Jan 21, 2013, 05:35 AM
I want to be suprised. Lean towards updating the lockscreen with gadgets etc and please, suprise us.

:D

ithinkimalion
Jan 21, 2013, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately I feel like everything will be the same.

BvizioN
Jan 21, 2013, 02:51 PM

I agree with absolutely every word you said. The screen on GS 3 looks amazing but as you said, the build quality is not so great. I would have gotten S3 last year, however it felt like i was going to do the same mistake i did when i went from iPhone 4 to GS2. That is one thing i still regret. Maybe it was android OS, maybe it was the phone itself. Buggy as ******! I learned a lesson on a hard way! If you got something that works and you are happy with it, don't let it go. Kept the S2 for 6 month and then I sold it on eBay.

Redjericho
Jan 21, 2013, 04:29 PM
If there's one thing apple hates, it's change.

kas23
Jan 21, 2013, 06:45 PM

True, but as displayed by the Forstall boot, they're not absolutely opposed to it.

I don't expect a complete overhaul, that will take over a year and may be seen in iOS 8, but I fully expect to see some obvious changes.

MattInOz
Jan 21, 2013, 07:08 PM

Apple Loves change...
... as long as they are driving it.

Ammo
Jan 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
I think iOS 7 will be the biggest update yet.

I think 3GS support and the fact that the iPhone 4 is single core really held back iOS 6.

iOS 7 may not be supported on iPhone 4 (which may anger recent iPhone 4 owners) in order to take advantage of dual core processing. At least that's my guess.

Redjericho
Jan 21, 2013, 10:12 PM
I think iOS 7 will be the biggest update yet.

I think 3GS support and the fact that the iPhone 4 is single core really held back iOS 6.

iOS 7 may not be supported on iPhone 4 (which may anger recent iPhone 4 owners) in order to take advantage of dual core processing. At least that's my guess.

I would assume it already does take advantage of dual cores on devices that have them, it would be silly to only use one.

As far as iPhone 4 support, it's a very safe bet to say that iOS 6 will be its final major update, heck, the iPad first gen has nearly identicle specs, and that doesn't even support 6!

lamina
Jan 21, 2013, 10:21 PM
With Jony now in charge of hardware and software, I think we'll see a lot more consistency throughout the OS.

I can even foresee a black iPhone having a different (themed) interface than the white one. With Jony at the helm of user interface design, I really think we'll see the OS realize its true potential. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

chrisrosemusic1
Jan 23, 2013, 03:19 PM
With Jony now in charge of hardware and software, I think we'll see a lot more consistency throughout the OS.

I can even foresee a black iPhone having a different (themed) interface than the white one. With Jony at the helm of user interface design, I really think we'll see the OS realize its true potential. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

I seriously hope you're right because I am so bored of icons and folders :)

Some nice animations or animated wallpapers, hell, just SOME customisation above 10 ring tones would be great. Let me have my phone as I want it.

The only reason I haven't gone Android is the build quality and materials aren't as good as iPhone. That and I find apps are more stable on iOS.

lulla01
Jan 27, 2013, 10:22 PM
It seems like they are milking the ability to introduce such small improvements and generate hype. The OS is stale, the bugs took the once great and reliable OS and put it just one step above other phones when before it was a whole other level. This is just my opinion.

ethana
Jan 27, 2013, 10:53 PM
iOS 7 will NOT be a radical shift. It's just too late for that since the move to Ive.

iOS 8 on the other hand probably will be a big shift. But Apple has been slow lately and it may be too late by the time iOS 8 comes out.

Honestly, Apple needs to be updating their OS quickly... like every 3 months.

techishi
Jan 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
While I do agree on the point that Apple could use some new features and UI revamp. Yes, Jony Ive is seeing over Scott Forstall's old position, and I'm sure we'll see good things come out of it (nixing of skeuomorphism around iOS comes to mind). I just think that iOS 7 is too soon of an iteration for Ive to have any true influence on it (I think his significance will/should hit hard with iOS 8).

But as far as developing in general goes, I think Apple is somewhat scared to make really big changes. Think about it, they're timid iterations keep generating insane iPhone/iPad/etc. sales, so why change the way it works? You have to remember that only a small user base reads/posts on these forums, let alone tech forums across the web. We are in fact a small minority, Apple is there to keep all their customers happy, not just us... No wonder why we all care about this JB so much :D. Things in iOS are changing, just not at the pace that I (we) would like it to.

Just my two cents.

Razeus
Jan 28, 2013, 09:43 AM
Nope. We'll still see static iCons and multiple pages for apps. We'll see some feature added to the Mail.app, as if people really need to do something special with email that we've been waiting for over the last 20 years. We'll see "faster", Siri doing more things, and a weather app that won't display the current temperature simply by looking at it. Apple really needs to bang out OS updates every 6 months, at least to maintain the appearance of having the latest and greatest features compared to other smartphones.

bushido
Jan 28, 2013, 11:15 AM
being able to add unlimited apps in one folder would be REVOLUTIONARY :p