Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vesne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello folks, my first post in here. So take it easy, please!:)
i have reserached everything on google, and some things i didnt find an answer.

I bought a later 2012 mac mini i7 with 16 gig of corsair's ram and 256gb ssd M4 crucial.

I already installed the gigs and right now, i am super duping my new ssd hdd from the 1 tera original.

After that, i will open it up(macmini) and take it out the 1 tera hdd to put it in the SSD hdd.

I dont have the sata cable, so i wont be able to put both inside(thats my plan in a near future)

The thing is:
After i install the ssd into my macmini. What do i have to do to completely erase the 1 tera hdd to turn into a backup hdd. Im afraid to connect this hdd into a usb and conflicts system with the new one that is inside. I will put into a usb enclosure(where is my ssd drive now) and stick with it that way untill i gete a sata cable.

How should i proceed?!

thanks guysss

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There won't be a problem with conflict if you do it the way you described.

1. SSD in external, copy with Superduper or CCC from internal to SSD
(Carbon Copy Cloner is better, it will also copy the recovery partition.)

2. If finished get the HD out of the Mini and the SSD in, start from it and see if everything works the way it should.

Why do you want to erase the 1 TB drive, you can use CCC to use it as a bootable backup and even use scheduling to keep it up to date.

vesne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
There won't be a problem with conflict if you do it the way you described.

1. SSD in external, copy with Superduper or CCC from internal to SSD
(Carbon Copy Cloner is better, it will also copy the recovery partition.)

2. If finished get the HD out of the Mini and the SSD in, start from it and see if everything works the way it should.

Why do you want to erase the 1 TB drive, you can use CCC to use it as a bootable backup and even use scheduling to keep it up to date.

thanks m8!
the thing is, im still in the middle of the ssd installation and i cant put it in the crucial m4 ssd, its a little big for the space with the sata cable(i didnt pul back the logic board)
I dont know nithing about mac.
I just did with the super duper, you think is better with CCC? should i go back and do it again but with CCC?
I want the 1 tera only for backup(pictures, videos, files) what should i do!?

thanks again!

----------

its impossible to put the m4 crucial, it wont fit anyway. and i dont want to force nothing, dont want to break my baby!
any help?

vesne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
well, i did it! But its not well fitted... probably i will call some assistance to help me out. but the mac is flying right now. everything is perfect! The only thing i was worried about it, is that little cable from wireless. its not tight, but again, is working..

can i connect the old main hdd into a usb?
how should i proceed now?

I saw this video, but i followed the 2011 tutorial. I cant watch this video even in my macmini, cause the quicktime plugin is not installed, and i have no idea how to install it!
My first time in a mac os!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.