PDA

View Full Version : Get MBA or iPad?

cramazing
Jan 14, 2013, 10:03 AM
So I have this Lenovo T430s for work, it has great specs, but the graphics on it is just terrible, especially since I have a 15" Retina display MBP for personally use.

I am now debating if I should sell the Lenovo and either get a 11" or 13" Macbook Air or the new gen iPad. The machine I use for work will mostly be for Outlook, and maybe some MS Office stuff, but mostly for Outlook. I dont carry this machine to work as I have a desktop in the office, this device mainly stays at home, and once in a while to a business meeting or when I travel.

The reason I got the Lenovo was to learn Windows 8 a little bit and also have both Mac and Windows machines at home, but after 2 months of use, the Lenovo is just undesirable.

Here's my spec on the Lenovo.

ThinkPad T430s - 1 Year Topseller Express Depot Warranty
Processor: Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64
Operating System Language: Windows 8 Pro 64 English
Display Type: 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
System Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 with Intel Core i7-3520M Processor
Total Memory: 16 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (2 DIMM)
Keyboard: Keyboard (Backlit) US English
Pointing Device: UltraNav multi-touch touchpad & TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader
Camera: 720p HD Camera Mic
Hard Drive: 180GB Solid State Drive, SATA3
Ultrabay: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim w/ SW Royalty for Windows 8
System Expansion Slots: Express Card Slot & 4 in 1 Card Reader & Smart Card Reader
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Battery T81+
Bay Battery: 3 Cell Ultrabay Battery
Power Cord: 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
Integrated Mobile Broadband: Mobile Broadband upgradable
Language Pack: Language Pack Win8 US English
Microsoft Productivity Software Preload: Microsoft Office Home and Busi

iAppl3Fan
Jan 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
Get an MBA and install Windows on it for your Outlook needs. You'll thank yourself.

yinz
Jan 14, 2013, 10:48 AM
If you already have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I think the MacBook Air would be somewhat redundant.

If mail is all you use THIS device for, I'd say go with the iPad. The Retina display would be fine compared with your MBP and it's a little lighter to carry than the MBA (although not by much). The battery will also last longer and you'll have less redundancy in your lineup of devices.

I hope this helped. Cheers.

cramazing
Jan 14, 2013, 11:42 AM
If you already have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I think the MacBook Air would be somewhat redundant.

If mail is all you use THIS device for, I'd say go with the iPad. The Retina display would be fine compared with your MBP and it's a little lighter to carry than the MBA (although not by much). The battery will also last longer and you'll have less redundancy in your lineup of devices.

I hope this helped. Cheers.

the only reason i wouldnt get an iPad is because I want the Outlook features, something an Ipad cant give me

thejadedmonkey
Jan 14, 2013, 11:45 AM
the only reason i wouldnt get an iPad is because I want the Outlook features, something an Ipad cant give me

What about a surface?

cramazing
Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 PM
What about a surface?

i thought about that but i really prefer an apple product.

if i stay with MS, i would just keep my lenovo

crackbookpro
Jan 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
Get a MBA... It's an elite netbook(if you want to even call it a netbook). Past 2 years, I use it for work with MS Office & a couple other needed programs, in meetings and at home as it is very portable with great battery life. So, it really is best used for a travel laptop(deluxe version).

The next-gen iPad will be a total new redesign, so you may think of that as an alternative, but I believe if you need a lot of MS office for work, the iPad still may not be your best bet.

I personally have an iPad & a MBA, and carry them with me pretty much everywhere when needed, all while weighing practically nothing, but I can do so much with so little battery needed. For my own sake, it has been my favorite Apple product since my BlackBook.

mattopotamus
Jan 14, 2013, 01:08 PM
the macbook air will have that same terrible display...actually it will be worse than your current one

jstnlzr
Jan 14, 2013, 01:09 PM
MBA over iPad, but maybe you should just give your Lenovo another try?

cramazing
Jan 14, 2013, 02:14 PM
the macbook air will have that same terrible display...actually it will be worse than your current one

really? the lenovo has a nice graphic card, but their screen is just horrible.
watching a 1080p video is like watching something in the fog.

Ive had a classic 13in MBP before and while its not retina display material, it was the best screen ive seen before the retina

Michael Goff
Jan 14, 2013, 03:09 PM

Ive had a classic 13in MBP before and while its not retina display material, it was the best screen ive seen before the retina

MBA have the ULV processors, they're less powerful.

Also, the MBA is always going to have the 1440x900 resolution.

I love my MBA, but looking to it to watch 1080p is a bad idea.

mattopotamus
Jan 14, 2013, 03:13 PM

I'm looking to get this for my windows laptop or just wait for the haswell ones. The screen is the major draw...1920 x 1080
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Ultrabook+13.3%26%2334%3B+Touch-Screen+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+128GB+Solid+State+Drive+-+Radiant+Black/6906246.p?id=1218812711231&skuId=6906246&st=asus%20ultrabook&cp=1&lp=1

cramazing
Jan 14, 2013, 03:37 PM
MBA have the ULV processors, they're less powerful.

Also, the MBA is always going to have the 1440x900 resolution.

I love my MBA, but looking to it to watch 1080p is a bad idea.

i dont intend to watch any videos on the Air, i have the RMBP for that, what really bothers me is when i have to stare at that Lenovo screen for a long period of time it just hurts the eye, i can look at my retina display bm and even my classic one for an hour and never really have a problem

Michael Goff
Jan 14, 2013, 03:40 PM
i dont intend to watch any videos on the Air, i have the RMBP for that, what really bothers me is when i have to stare at that Lenovo screen for a long period of time it just hurts the eye, i can look at my retina display bm and even my classic one for an hour and never really have a problem

I have to mirror what somebody else said, looking at the uses of your computer.

You should check out the Surface, it's good for all sorts of Windows things.

Also, if the Lenovo is undesirable... you can send it to me! /jk

cramazing
Jan 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
I think I have deicded to go with the Air.

Now im wondering if I should go with the high end Air 2.0ghz 8GB i7 or go for a base 13" Pro w/ Retina??

danistyping
Jan 15, 2013, 07:44 AM

Now im wondering if I should go with the high end Air 2.0ghz 8GB i7 or go for a base 13" Pro w/ Retina??

Since you have a 15" retina MBP, having an air or 13" retina MBP is overkill IMO.

I would wait until March for the new iPad to be released. You won't regret that.

robvas
Jan 15, 2013, 07:50 AM

The T430 screen is just terrible. It looks like a laptop screen from 2002. Band angles, bad colors, backlight bleeding.

DaveN
Jan 15, 2013, 08:41 AM
What about a surface?

Hmmmm.... MS trademarked the word 'Windows' and then petitioned that the term 'App Store' was generic and shouldn't be allowed a trademark. Then they go and name their next product 'Surface'. Did they trademark the word 'Surface'?

----------

Are you using Outlook to access your work e-mail? If so, does your office have a web-accessible version of Outlook? My place of work does and I access it using my iPad (and pc, and mac). We have the original iPad and the iPad mini at home and use both all the time. For travel though, the mine will go on the frequent short trips and both on the longer vacations.

That said, since you have a MB Pro, why not install Windows on it and sell the Levano outright? You probably don't really need anything new.

cramazing
Jan 15, 2013, 08:52 AM
Since you have a 15" retina MBP, having an air or 13" retina MBP is overkill IMO.

I would wait until March for the new iPad to be released. You won't regret that.

my 15' Retina is for personal use only I paid for this machine, the new machine i am getting is for work only and it is being provided by my company, to use at home for Outlook, to use to carry to the office, meetings, business trips, etc

it would be overkill for sure if i was to buy these machines for myself.
But i cant put any work stuff in my personal computer as they monitor everything i do with it

----------

The T430 screen is just terrible. It looks like a laptop screen from 2002. Band angles, bad colors, backlight bleeding.

its so bad because they are anti glare and also matte.

my 2000 Dell 700M has a better screen than this 2012 machine.

Lenovo made these screens for "office environment with dim lighting. but even in the office the screen just sucks

danistyping
Jan 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=fng2584;16666368]my 15' Retina is for personal use only I paid for this machine, the new machine i am getting is for work only and it is being provided by my company, to use at home for Outlook, to use to carry to the office, meetings, business trips, etc

it would be overkill for sure if i was to buy these machines for myself.
But i cant put any work stuff in my personal computer as they monitor everything i do with it[COLOR="#808080"]

Ahhhh gotcha. If work is paying for it and you don't need good graphics performance...get the maxed out retina 13" MBP.

thejadedmonkey
Jan 15, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hmmmm.... MS trademarked the word 'Windows' and then petitioned that the term 'App Store' was generic and shouldn't be allowed a trademark. Then they go and name their next product 'Surface'. Did they trademark the word 'Surface'
What does this have to do with the conversation?

wolfpuppies3
Jan 15, 2013, 01:40 PM
iPad vs MB Air? Simple, MBA is a computer, the iPad is not.

imac5
Jan 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
This seems like a simple enough question:

do you want/need a new computer, or are you looking for a tablet. My opinion is that if you plan on doing any work with it, then go with the computer (MBA). If you are looking for a media consumption device, then an iPad will suit you well.

DaveN
Jan 21, 2013, 09:07 AM
What does this have to do with the conversation?

Absolutely nothing:D I had a couple of windows open and the comment was meant to go with the story about the Amazon app store story. Microsoft petitioned the court saying App Store is a generic term and shouldn't be tradmarkable unlike Windows and Surface.

entatlrg
Jan 21, 2013, 10:30 PM
For productivity, creating content an 11" MacBook Air is a great compliment to your rMBP. Productivity trumps redundancy.

Banjoguy
Jan 23, 2013, 10:17 AM
This seems like a simple enough question:

do you want/need a new computer, or are you looking for a tablet. My opinion is that if you plan on doing any work with it, then go with the computer (MBA). If you are looking for a media consumption device, then an iPad will suit you well.

Hello all: I'm a newbie here and this question is one I have been asking myself lately. I was at my local Apple dealer the other day and was looking at a 13inch Air, but the dealer said he wouldn't want an Air and that an iPad was faster, and a much better choice ( I intend to use it for presentations and lessons ). I thought this curious and I don't really see a definitive answer here other than a computer vs a tablet response. I like the portability of the iPad, but the 13 inch Air has more view space, and if I have an Apple TV I can jack it into my class room. But printing is an issue and I'm not sure if I can print from an iPad easily. I would prefer the iPad, but I am curious .... any one have both and which one do they use for presentations and presentation and lesson development? Thanx

krravi
Jan 23, 2013, 01:22 PM
I have both and wondered the same thing. I got my iPad when it first came out and have upgraded to the latest since....

Now to the question, I thought an iPad is an iPad its got the convenience factor and very portable compared to the MBA and so I wouldn't put the two together.

But after I received my MBA, I hardly use my iPad anymore. The browsers in the iPad is glitchy and slow and overall not a smooth experience compared to my MBA.

If you were debating between the two, go ahead and get the MBA. For all its worth, its a full blown computer that can play all audio and video formats and has a keyboard to type and is as portable as the MBA.

I don't use my iPad that much these days at all. It will end up as a present to someone I know and I will keep my MBA :)

Nimravus
Jan 23, 2013, 08:56 PM
I think it really depends on the person. I use my iPad 90% of the time and use my MBA only when I need to create something like a spreadsheet for work.

Games and reading magazines are awesome on the iPad. Using the iPad as a second screen while watching TV is awesome, like watching Dexter and seeing all the live comments from around the country, etc etc. iPad is great for being lazy on the couch or taking everywhere so you have something to do while waiting for an oil change.

It's really 2 different things so you have to get both. Yeah that's it, get both. Problem solved.

Branco
Jan 24, 2013, 09:33 AM
I own both an iPad Mini and a MBA '12. Both devices work very smooth, but I always grab my Macbook when it comes to writing, editing and that kind of stuff.

I choose for the iPad Mini because imo the full size iPad competes a lot more with a MacBook.

If I had to choose between iPad or Macbook, i'd say Macbook, or better: both ;)

Confuzzzed
Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 AM
I own both. The convergence is striking with every new version of the iPad. But the iPad will age more quickly in my opionion so it also depends on your replacement cycle. You want to buy the MBA. Buy it. It won't let you down. But given the machines you already have at your disposal (including rMBP), I really don't understand why you need another computer if you can set up MS Office on your rMBP? In which case, I'd go for iPad. Of course you can't get outlook on iPad BUT the iOS Mail client can be set up with Outlook and IMO it is more than adequate for 97.3% of what you will be doing in Outlook.

bogatyr
Jan 24, 2013, 10:09 AM

MBA 11/13" - worse processor than Lenovo T series, worse graphics card (ULV processor iGPU versus mobile processor iGPU), same faded display look.

MBP 13" - same level processor, same level graphics card, better display.

thelookingglass
Jan 24, 2013, 11:29 AM
I don't really understand why you'd get an MBA either. The rMBP should be more than enough. If you want something lighter for movies, books or surfing the web around the house, then pick up an iPad.

designs216
Jan 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
Sell the Lenovo, get a Thunderbolt Display (wait for refresh) for a streamlined desktop and no redundancy. Why have two laptops?

Skika
Jan 24, 2013, 04:22 PM
iPad vs MB Air? Simple, MBA is a computer, the iPad is not.

Im sorry, but this is just a stupid over-general statement.

Cheffy Dave
Jan 24, 2013, 04:58 PM

Always go with the best you can afford!

cramazing
Jan 24, 2013, 05:51 PM
didnt know this thread came back,

heres the update, I sold the Lenovo, still undecided what i want to do.
mainly because i heard theres a new ipad coming out in March and I want to see what it can do so I will wait.

i see a lot of comments about using my rMPB with Outlook, but it seems like a lot of you who said this didnt read the whole thread.

as i mentioned, the new machine i will get is being paid for by my job, they would not allow me to use my personal laptop for work.

they want to give me a machine that i will use strictly for work only