Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
I have owned the Otterbox Commuter, the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer, the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX, and the Caze Thin Edge. Today I will review the Speck Grip CandyShell.

The Good:
Buttons: The buttons have a great tactile feel, very responsive and takes little effort to press. The mute button is recessed in, easy to access but might be tough if you don't have nails.

Cutouts: There is liberal room for the headphone jack and the lightning jack. It will fit most headphones and most third party lightning cables (NOT sure of the 30-pin adapter).

Protection: Speck's two layer design provides ample protection from scratches and drops. I've dropped this product on granite and concrete. It scratches, but it does protect the phone.

Design: The case has a great lay on the table design and doesn't get in the way of a front screen protector. I have a full body Ghost Armor on my phone and it doesn't affect the sides neither the back.

Feel: The case feels great in my hands. It's curved edges actually make it easier to type. The case is very smooth and is liable to slip however.

The Bad:
Size: The case is larger than what I would like. I would say in terms of bulk, I would say my experience goes Otterbox Commuter > Speck CandyShell > Belkin Grip Sheer > SGP Neo Hybrid EX > Caze Thin Edge.

Design: The type of plastic that's used on the outside is liable to scratches. Also, the plastic feels slippery and it might it to slip out of your hands. The case is also a fingerprint magnet, if that bothers you!

Overall: The case has a great feel and it offers optimal protection. I am used to having a very thin and small case or bumper, so I might only be keeping this temporarily, but for now it's a well functioning case that's well worth the $$.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 155

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Bought one, but hate it. Yet the fact that they're sold in the Apple store I bought my iPhone 5 from, I see them everywhere. Even with clean hands the black one I bought to match my phone, holds & magnifies fingerprints worse than I could have ever imagined. It fits so tight, removing the phone for regular cleaning is very hard. I am concerned with the case scratching the phone over time due to this very tight fit.

I'm using a Griffin now & it's much better.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Pros: great protection, cool look (plenty of color varieties), secure in hand (to me, the plastic felt grippy).
Cons: scratches show up right away especially on the black one, bulky case, finger print magnet.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Bought one, but hate it. Yet the fact that they're sold in the Apple store I bought my iPhone 5 from, I see them everywhere. Even with clean hands the black one I bought to match my phone, holds & magnifies fingerprints worse than I could have ever imagined. It fits so tight, removing the phone for regular cleaning is very hard. I am concerned with the case scratching the phone over time due to this very tight fit.

I'm using a Griffin now & it's much better.
Yea this thing is a fingerprint magnet. I had the option of this vs. FabShell Burton and I went for this because of the feel. If the fingerprints bother me then I'm going to swap it for the FabShell.

As for the fit, the softer plastic on the inside makes me feel that the case won't scratch the phone. Also I have a full skin on my phone and it still fits in the case without any problems.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Yea this thing is a fingerprint magnet. I had the option of this vs. FabShell Burton and I went for this because of the feel. If the fingerprints bother me then I'm going to swap it for the FabShell.

As for the fit, the softer plastic on the inside makes me feel that the case won't scratch the phone. Also I have a full skin on my phone and it still fits in the case without any problems.

those fabshell & burton cases are notorious for doing major scratching to the iphone 5. trust me!

xWarlocx

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
If you like this type of case the slim armor has been getting a lot of positive feedback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.