Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
Seriously thinking of selling my old i3 21.5 and getting the new mini, mainly to use as a media server for TV's and iPads in my house but also do some converting (I have a Turbo 264.HD)

I may also do some Desktop work from time to time via my tv using my ipad as the keyboard and my 51" plasma

can anyone tell if im doing the right thing?

I had a mac mini merom 1.7ghz a long time ago it was great but was very underpowered from what I have been researching these Quad core i7's used in the latest mini are up there with the chips used in the new imac for performance.

Is this true?

can anyone with a late 2012 mini vouch for their power

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Yes, the quad core mini is nearly as powerful as the chips used in the current iMacs. In terms of processing power, the i3 computer you quoted with a 3.1 Ghz processor is geekbenching (a processor/memory benchmark) ~5500 and the new quad minis are in the 11000-12000 range. Even the new dual core mini is faster, at around 6700.

In general, if there is 2 or more years between products, even the base models in the lineup will compete with the mid/upper end of the previous generation, its just the speed of computer progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.