Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I just got a new Mac Mini and hooked up to an older Mac cinema display... it seems like the display is really huge and I can't figure out a way to adjust it?

When I open my website or blog the images and graphics are all distorted... I had hooked up to a Mac Book pro before and did not have this issue?

Any way to fix it?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
How is the mini hooked up, is it through the HDMI port or the thunderbolt port?

Check to make sure the resolution is set to the highest (native) setting using System Preferences -> Display menu. Another trick if the text and graphics seem really big/small is hold down the Command key and use the + and - keys to adjust the size onscreen.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
How is the mini hooked up, is it through the HDMI port or the thunderbolt port?

Check to make sure the resolution is set to the highest (native) setting using System Preferences -> Display menu. Another trick if the text and graphics seem really big/small is hold down the Command key and use the + and - keys to adjust the size onscreen.

I think it is the HDMI port... They only included one hook up thing and that fit my display hook up. Though mime also had a usb cord and a firewire cord it does not fit the fire wire port on the mac mini... It does seem to be on the highest... I did try making the screens smaller but it still it only goes down about 4xs then it stops. The images on my blog for example are too big and pixel-ized... I tired making the window smaller?

It is a 30 inch cinema display....
It all looks too big... :mad:

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
The firewire not fitting is probably because you have a firewire 400 cord and the back of the mini has a firewire 800 port. use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-FireWi...7&sr=1-1&keywords=firewire+400+to+800+adapter
and you should be set to go with that.

Ok, I looked around and found this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3571 which explains that the maximum resolution on a 30" cinema display is 1280x800 using a single link DVI adapter, which came with the mini. Is this the case?

This would explain why everything seems pixelated, because the native resolution on the display is 2560x1600. How was your macbook pro hooked up to the display? If it is a relatively recent, did you have it hooked up via mini displayport?

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
The firewire not fitting is probably because you have a firewire 400 cord and the back of the mini has a firewire 800 port. use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-FireWi...7&sr=1-1&keywords=firewire+400+to+800+adapter
and you should be set to go with that.

Ok, I looked around and found this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3571 which explains that the maximum resolution on a 30" cinema display is 1280x800 using a single link DVI adapter, which came with the mini. Is this the case?

This would explain why everything seems pixelated, because the native resolution on the display is 2560x1600. How was your macbook pro hooked up to the display? If it is a relatively recent, did you have it hooked up via mini displayport?

My old mac book which works fine with it and has a built in port, I just looked and my newer mac book pro does not have that port....?

It sounds like I need to do this: Mini DisplayPort (which I think is what it came with?) to Dual-Link DVI adapter....?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
My old mac book which works fine with it and has a built in port, I just looked and my newer mac book pro does not have that port....?

It sounds like I need to do this: Mini DisplayPort (which I think is what it came with?) to Dual-Link DVI adapter....?

To answer your question, yes, you do need a mini display-port to Dual Link DVI adapter to get the 2560x1600 resolution.

Even though the new mini has a thunderbolt port, it is the same connector as mini display port. The reason i asked about your macbook pro is I thought all the recent macbook pros had mini displayport on them. When I saw you used to have it hooked up I thought you might already have this adapter.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
To answer your question, yes, you do need a mini display-port to Dual Link DVI adapter to get the 2560x1600 resolution.

Even though the new mini has a thunderbolt port, it is the same connector as mini display port. The reason i asked about your macbook pro is I thought all the recent macbook pros had mini displayport on them. When I saw you used to have it hooked up I thought you might already have this adapter.

My old MBP has a port and the display hooked right up with no problem... it looks like this is what I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB571Z-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Adapter/dp/B001IF252C

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
Thanks, just ordered it, will let you know how it works out...

and guess that MBP is even older than I thought...

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
Thanks so much COrocket! Got the cord and all seems to be working now.

394959_10200440890931031_1776270892_n.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.