PDA

View Full Version : Sony and Apple?

benixau
Dec 5, 2002, 12:57 AM
What do people think of the idea of Apple building a MagicGate (memory stick) port into its keyboards?

Personally I think that it would sell more devices for both of them. Apple would get Sony device owners and Sony would get Apple customers.

Apple and Sony already love each other as can be seen with the way that Apple is the only company that has the code to build syncing software independantly of Sony. They keep pushing the T68i (not that thats bad of course, ericsson rocks!).

Imagine the possibilites.

PS. Could someone with photoshop and the ability do a mock-up of this idea if they have the time. thanx

MacBandit
Dec 5, 2002, 02:02 AM
Sony Memory sticks suck. They're slow, small in capacity, and expensive. Also they don't allow any aux. devices to be plugged into them. Such as CF does with Palm Pilots.

benixau
Dec 6, 2002, 12:51 AM
well what about any flash media port in apple keyboards then?

why dont you lovely people put in what you would want? i personally would want a SD slot cause they are copmatible with MMC as well.

same as before, if someone with photoshop couold do a mockup of this it would be great. i dont have the skill.

MacBandit
Dec 6, 2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by benixau
well what about any flash media port in apple keyboards then?

why dont you lovely people put in what you would want? i personally would want a SD slot cause they are copmatible with MMC as well.

same as before, if someone with photoshop couold do a mockup of this it would be great. i dont have the skill.

I'm not sure I would want one built into the keyboard. Memory cards are a developing technology. There is a new format coming out right now XD-Picture card.

I think since you can pick up a 6 in 1 USB card reader that you can plug right into your keyboard the need for a memory card reader is really null.

RBMaraman
Dec 6, 2002, 12:56 PM
I have to agree with MacBandit. I don't think I would want a card reader on the keyboard, especially since I have three different electronic devices and each use a different type of memory card. I use a 6 in 1 card reader, and like it a lot.

Now, if they built a credit card swiping slot into the keyboard, I would definitely want one. Think about it, instead of entering your card number and personal info when you order online, you just swipe your card on your keyboard, and everything is processed automatically. That would rock!

hobie
Dec 6, 2002, 01:07 PM
A bit off topic, but something I was thinking about for quite a time now:
What if Sony starts selling their machines with OS X? :D

digital1
Dec 6, 2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by hobie

Sign me up! :)

digital1
Dec 6, 2002, 02:13 PM
Better yet! Playstation 2 running OS X.2.1!!!!! :D that would be wild to see work. :) Of course Ken Kutaragi wouldnt go for that... maybe he would.... :)

hobie
Dec 6, 2002, 02:36 PM
Yeah, Xstation 2.2, the ultimate working and gaming machine!

digital1
Dec 6, 2002, 03:18 PM
Heck ya! :D

iJon
Dec 6, 2002, 03:44 PM
I dont think apple likes sony too much specially with the whole ilink thing.

iJon

digital1
Dec 6, 2002, 04:34 PM
Thanks iJon! thanks for the update! :)

pantagruel
Dec 6, 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by digital1
Better yet! Playstation 2 running OS X.2.1!!!!! :D that would be wild to see work. :) Of course Ken Kutaragi wouldnt go for that... maybe he would.... :)
Gamecube or some other new nintendo console would be more likely for something like that, if it were to ever happen that is. doesnt the cube use a modded G4 or something?
anyways apple wouldnt gain anything from adding a port for Sonys memory sticks or anything else Sony so it will never happen. and it's really not necessary because so few people use Sony's sticks anyways, it would be like them added a port for compactflash cards and not smartmedia.....leave it to thirdpary companies to make devices for those.

digital1
Dec 6, 2002, 04:36 PM
Yup according to what i know, its a modified powerPC chip. i dont know how closely related it is to the G4, but it must be pretty close. I know developers were using G4s to make gamecube games with em before the kits came out...

chicagdan
Dec 6, 2002, 05:02 PM
IBM develops the core GameCube processor. It would make sense that future Mac and GameCube processor design might follow along similar Power-4 and Power-5 based paths. But software compatibility with Macs would go against Nintendo's business model. They tend to prefer highly proprietary, closed systems (hence, a GameCube DVD system incompatible with all other DVD formats.) Maybe Sony or Microsoft will introduce a product down the line that will change their minds, but right now it's not even a remote possibility.

LethalWolfe
Dec 6, 2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by iJon
Apple does not like Sony that much. I dont know if any of you guys knew this. I was at an apple convention and they were telling me that a lot of sony camcorders may not work with imovie for this one reason. sony took firewire and tinkered with it and called it iLink so they wouldnt have to pay royalty fees. thought you guys may find that interesting. i think apple chose those phones to work with is because they use bluetooth built in. thought you guys may find that interesting.

iJon

errr... who told you that a lot of Sony camcorders won't work w/iMovie? I count 33 Sony devices that are certified by Apple to work w/iMovie (this doesn't include devices that work w/iMovie but aren't officially supported). List (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=113546)

Lethal

holmesf
Dec 6, 2002, 11:50 PM
Sony memory format is crud. Thats what blocks me and forever will block me from buying any of their products. Apple needs to stay away from proprietary formats as much as possible. If they do anything, it should be compact flash, or Smart Media, but then again, we have USB and Firewire for transfers so whats the point?

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by digital1
Yup according to what i know, its a modified powerPC chip. i dont know how closely related it is to the G4, but it must be pretty close. I know developers were using G4s to make gamecube games with em before the kits came out...

I believe it's an IBM Sahara G3.

iJon
Dec 7, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe

errr... who told you that a lot of Sony camcorders won't work w/iMovie? I count 33 Sony devices that are certified by Apple to work w/iMovie (this doesn't include devices that work w/iMovie but aren't officially supported). List (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=113546)

Lethal
hey man your right, i dont know. evey sony camcorder ive used has worked. im just saying what the people who worked at apple. i think that when they said this imovie was fairly new. i really do believe that the apple peopel were right about them tinkering with it so they can call it ilink and not pay royalties. but from what i was reading a long time ago, they are gonna do the new firewire different so everyone will have to call it whatever apple calls it (gigawire), who knows, time will tell.

iJon

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by iJon

hey man your right, i dont know. evey sony camcorder ive used has worked. im just saying what the people who worked at apple. i think that when they said this imovie was fairly new. i really do believe that the apple peopel were right about them tinkering with it so they can call it ilink and not pay royalties. but from what i was reading a long time ago, they are gonna do the new firewire different so everyone will have to call it whatever apple calls it (gigawire), who knows, time will tell.

iJon

Apple use to charge to use the FireWire name they has since changed and all ieee-1394 devices will carry the FireWire name.

Here is the news thread explaining.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5708&highlight=firewire+license

solvs
Dec 7, 2002, 01:15 AM
GameCube has a G3 (and an ATI chip), but future PlayStations are rumored to have an IBM chip too. One that will blow the G3 away (to be honest, I don't know what they use now). You know, for a couple of hundred bucks, you can add a 40 GB hard drive w/Linux to your PS2. Not to mention the USB ports and network adapter.

I agree that you could just buy a USB adapter. I could go into the whole "proprietary technology/what about the people who don't need it" argument, but that's not the point. No offense, but it's just not a good idea. Plus Sony already makes Mice with Memory Stick slots in them (there were supposed to be keyboards too, but I don't know). They're actually kind of expensive.

Some companies have those mutli-slot adapters in those extra floppy bays (I've even seen some INSTEAD of floppies, imagine that). That would be kinda cool. Can't you just use the camera's USB connection? I know it doesn't always work (Windows compatible only my ***), but hopefully iPhoto will get an update soon to add more devices.

And as far as Apple and Sony having problems, some of the employees may have some resentment or feelings of ill will toward Sony, but the 2 companies are definitely in bed together.

Despite the PC/Notebook competition and some compatiblity issues.

Remember that the first CD-R/Ws in Macs were Sony's.

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by solvs
GameCube has a G3 (and an ATI chip), but future PlayStations are rumored to have an IBM chip too. One that will blow the G3 away (to be honest, I don't know what they use now).

The current chip in the PS2 was devolped and produced by Sony. They call it the emotion engine. It is very similar to a G4 in that it is a Risc processor with an integer unit.

The new chip for the PS3 is supposed to be a derivative of the cell processor but it will be codeveloped by Sony and IBM.

Steradian
Dec 7, 2002, 01:58 AM
"Better yet! Playstation 2 running OS X.2.1!!!!! that would be wild to see work. Of course Ken Kutaragi wouldnt go for that... maybe he would.... "

Well it's been done, i have seen a PS2 that has had jag on it. I thought this was nothing new, people put linux on thier Xbox's all the time sp i am sure that thier is more than person other than my friend that has OSX.2.2 on thier machine.

PowerBook G4 1ghz

hobie
Dec 7, 2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Steradian
"Better yet! Playstation 2 running OS X.2.1!!!!! that would be wild to see work. Of course Ken Kutaragi wouldnt go for that... maybe he would.... "

Well it's been done, i have seen a PS2 that has had jag on it. I thought this was nothing new, people put linux on thier Xbox's all the time sp i am sure that thier is more than person other than my friend that has OSX.2.2 on thier machine.

OS X on Playstation...:p

Any link to proof that?

benixau
Dec 7, 2002, 06:08 AM
guys, the Flash memory slot in the kbboards was just an idea. It would, for the ordinary consumer, make things easier. people who use a lot of gear from different manufacturers will always be buying adapters.

and as for a console of any sort running OSX 10.x. Not in my lifetime. OSX is too big and buggy. Look at dashboard on XBox, it is a cut down version of Win2k. it runs ok cause it aint got all the crap of win2k, just the core and a few extras needed for xbox. AND, it was almost written from scratch. Observe:

New FS
New Input/Output method
Only 1 setup for hardware (other stray basic USB and HD drivers are in their aswell)
New Display Output
New Idea for running stuff (off a cd and not the HD)

most of the main part of the OS is new for them so it is not new code on top of old stuff.

OSX cut-down to its kernel plus a lite aqua and the same sort of code i.e. only what s needed and written from scratch, would be a very good, fast and stable system - with at least 128MB DDR RAM.

i think apple would put 256MB DDR in a system if they had a part cause the extra space would allow for alot more anything in a game.

MacCoaster
Dec 8, 2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
I believe it's an IBM Sahara G3.
Close. It's a modified 750 (I don't believe it's FX, but feel free to correct me) that's called "Gecko." It is a 405 MHz PowerPC-based chip. It originally ran at 485 MHz, IIRC, but they had to down-clock it for some reason, I forget exactly.

TheInevitable
Dec 17, 2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by hobie

If Apple makes OSX for x86, I think it would make sense that they would use Sony. Sony makes top quality PCs and they market the same creatives that Apple does. You got to admit, Sony makes some killer looking PCs.

digital1
Dec 17, 2002, 04:53 PM
Yeah any links or pics(and no doctored up photoshops either! :D) I want to see that and how your friend got a PowerPC native OS to recognize a MIPS III core based processor....

Originally posted by Steradian

PowerBook G4 1ghz