Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I want to zero out my HD and I'm in mountain lion. How do I go about doing this?

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
1 pass,3 pass or 7 pass? And how long will it take for a 1 TB drive.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
It depends on which type of security you want to implement. If you really want to make sure the data is never recovered ever use the 7 pass option.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
So a secure erase is an option in disk utility im guessing?

zerop.png

1 pass,3 pass or 7 pass? And how long will it take for a 1 TB drive.

A Zero pass on a 120GB drive takes about a hour at USB2 speeds (33MB/s). A good 1TB HDD today can hit about 130MB/s. So best case is about 2 hours, worst case 8 1/2.

It depends on which type of security you want to implement. If you really want to make sure the data is never recovered ever use the 7 pass option.

While it might have been true sometime in the 70's/80's, it's in no way true today. The density of today's hard disks prevent any recovery after the drive has been Zeroed.

For a HDD all you need to do is a single Zero pass, anything more and your wasting your time. SSD's on the other hand need to have the Secure Erase ATA command sent to them (and this only works if the SSD manufacturer implemented it correctly).

Last edited:

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Will do! I was talking mostly based on what OSX itself says (or said?) when describing the different security options available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.