PDA

View Full Version : iPod - Nikola Tesla edition

MacBytes
Oct 3, 2005, 10:28 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Humor
Link: iPod - Nikola Tesla edition (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051003112825)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

tutubibi
Oct 3, 2005, 01:03 PM
:confused:

cheekyspanky
Oct 3, 2005, 01:07 PM
Do MacBytes articles ever get wastelanded? :rolleyes:

shamino
Oct 3, 2005, 03:24 PM
:confused:
Perhaps this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla) will help.

maximumbarkly
Oct 3, 2005, 04:34 PM
the lack of knowledge of Tesla is upsetting to say the least.

mkaake
Oct 3, 2005, 06:10 PM
well i thought it was funny...

kgarner
Oct 3, 2005, 06:21 PM
I think if they just changed it the AC/DC Edition, more people would have got it.

tutubibi
Oct 4, 2005, 08:20 AM
the lack of knowledge of Tesla is upsetting to say the least.

Don't jump to conclusion too fast. If you noticed my location, you will see that Tesla is my fellow countryman so, of course, I know a lot about Tesla.

:confused: was questioning the purpose of the post, finding this thing is not too funny.

balamw
Oct 4, 2005, 08:34 AM
I think if they just changed it the AC/DC Edition, more people would have got it.
In case you didn't know Dr. Fun has been "The Far Side's" web counterpart for over 12 years. Not everyone gets or likes every comic, just like with "The Far side" and that's the way it should be.

B

SiliconAddict
Oct 4, 2005, 08:55 AM
*sighs* If NOTHING else the name Tesla should be recognizable from the device Tesla Coil. As long as no one comes along with:
"Hey weren’t they a band?"

...I'm still OK with our education system.

PS- Slow macbytes news day today? ;)

tutubibi
Oct 4, 2005, 09:11 AM
*sighs* If NOTHING else the name Tesla should be recognizable from the device Tesla Coil. As long as no one comes along with:
"Hey weren’t they a band?"

...I'm still OK with our education system.

PS- Slow macbytes news day today? ;)

Funny how thread evolved based on the (wrong) assumption that Tesla's name is not recognized ... :)

Conspiracy theories aside, I think that Tesla is not given the credit and recognition deserved for his work. On the other side, Edison who was more businessmen than inventor was given far too much recognition.

mainstreetmark
Oct 4, 2005, 02:05 PM
I'm a big Tesla proponent. I often find myself in tesla v edison debates. I tell people every time they plug their radio into the wall they have Tesla to thank twice.

How great would the world be if Wardenclyff had worked? Go camping - stick a metal rod in the ground, and have limitless power.

Tesla died broke, crazy and alone, and his final thought was probably "I can't believe I won the ****ing Edison Award"

maximumbarkly
Oct 4, 2005, 02:27 PM
Don't jump to conclusion too fast. If you noticed my location, you will see that Tesla is my fellow countryman so, of course, I know a lot about Tesla.

:confused: was questioning the purpose of the post, finding this thing is not too funny.

10,000 apologies.

i too know my tesla and my electronics... one time a friend and i declared that we would built a battle bot that somehow implemented a tesla coil as its weapon.

anybody know where i can find the schematics to his "death ray"?

tutubibi
Oct 4, 2005, 02:33 PM
anybody know where i can find the schematics to his "death ray"?

Somewhere in FBI archives? :)

IJ Reilly
Oct 4, 2005, 04:24 PM
Funny how thread evolved based on the (wrong) assumption that Tesla's name is not recognized ... :)

Conspiracy theories aside, I think that Tesla is not given the credit and recognition deserved for his work. On the other side, Edison who was more businessmen than inventor was given far too much recognition.

No conspiracy theories needed. Edison worked very hard to undermine Tesla and Westinghouse. Edison even electrocuted dogs with AC in an effort to demonstrate that AC was more dangerous than DC. Edison does deserve credit as an inventor, though. He was just wrong about this one. And he was actually a pretty poor businessman.

mainstreetmark
Oct 4, 2005, 04:45 PM
I disagree, he was a good businessman, or certainly better than Tesla. One could draw comparisons between Edison and Tesla equivalent to Gates and Jobs. They each had great ideas and each changed the face of the world, only the lesser in either case is the more famous one.

Steve Jobs would hate to receive the Bill Gates Award for Computery Stuff.

shamino
Oct 6, 2005, 11:08 AM
i too know my tesla and my electronics... one time a friend and i declared that we would built a battle bot that somehow implemented a tesla coil as its weapon.
Great theory. The problem is that the current will short to the nearest ground - which is probably not going to be the target. :eek:

balamw
Oct 6, 2005, 03:02 PM
Steve Jobs would hate to receive the Bill Gates Award for Computery Stuff.
I agree with that 120%.

However, as an admirer of both Jobs and Tesla I see them quite as quite different beasts.

Tesla didn't have an RDF that allowed others around him to "get" his vision, i.e. he does not seem to have been a "people person". OTOH, Steve Jobs' primary talent (IMHO) seems to be getting others to buy into his vision. He also has a terrific knack for seeing the seeds of something excellent, well before many others do. His greatest successes have depended very heavily on the skills of those very talented people and teams he gathers around him who have bought into his vision. People like Woz and Bill Atkinson in the early days, and more recently people like Jonathon Ive.

I'll admit the Gates = Edison comparions, but maybe Jobs is more like modern Westinghouse than a Tesla?

If that analogy holds, I predict that Apple's AC system will take over Microsoft DC system real soon now. How about October 12.;)

B