Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonproject

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
My i7 mini regularly runs between 60-70 degrees and then between 70-80 when watching video or doing more intensive tasks. It is currently sitting normally with the base of the mini against the table. It is on the desk, below my monitor with the rear of the unit being 3 inches from the wall.

Is there another, more optimum way to place this to reduce the temperature - ex. on its side or on a stand?

Thanks!

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Depending on how much you want to spend and the space available you can get a stand to put the Mini on its side which will help cool it. You could also purchase a laptop cooler to place the Mini on top of. Or you could rig your own Mini cooler:

FYI6E6BH1YOINWA.LARGE.jpg

----------

I should note if you side mount it you will get somewhere around 2-4 C of cooling, a laptop cooler would give you 2-4 C of cooling, and you can increase the base fan speed higher than the stock 1800 rpm to something like 2300-2400 which would give you another 2-4 C of cooling. But 70-80 C isn't really something to worry about. That is normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.