PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 strange battery issue

cumacuser
Oct 3, 2005, 02:49 PM
I have a powerbook g4 1.3 ghz with an odd problem. It will not run off the battery anymore. Various utilities tell me that the battery is fully charged, the adapter's light is green, but the lights on the battery itself do not come on. It happened just a week after the one year warranty is up and I don't have applecare so apple won't help me.

It was working fine from the battery the day before, when I put it to sleep and unplugged the adapter it just shut off, and wouldn't come back on without the adapter plugged in.

Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Thanks for your help.

LimeiBook86
Oct 3, 2005, 03:38 PM
I have a powerbook g4 1.3 ghz with an odd problem. It will not run off the battery anymore. Various utilities tell me that the battery is fully charged, the adapter's light is green, but the lights on the battery itself do not come on. It happened just a week after the one year warranty is up and I don't have applecare so apple won't help me.

It was working fine from the battery the day before, when I put it to sleep and unplugged the adapter it just shut off, and wouldn't come back on without the adapter plugged in.

Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Thanks for your help.
Is there a buddy maybe who you can swap batteries with? Like see if your battery would work on his PowerBook or visa versa. I mean my Dad's iBook says the battery is fully charged but it lasts less than 5 minutes. Check to see if the slot where the battery goes is clean, make sure to clean all the contacts with a cotton swab and see if that would help. This is a very odd problem, maybe the part of the logic board that uses the battery is damaged I have no clue. Hopefully you can swap batteries and see if your PowerBook can use someone else's battery, at least then you'll know if it's a problem with a battery or a problem with the PowerBook.

Also it's a longshot but see if your battery is one that is eligible for the recall/exchange Apple is having: https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html?lang=en

Good luck ;)

cumacuser
Oct 4, 2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks, LimeiBook86. I did try another battery and that worked. Apparently the battery suddenly failed a week after the warranty was up, which was a pain.

LimeiBook86
Oct 4, 2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks, LimeiBook86. I did try another battery and that worked. Apparently the battery suddenly failed a week after the warranty was up, which was a pain.
No problem, that's very unlucky but, I hope you have good luck in the future with your PowerBook :)