PDA

View Full Version : UK based new Btooth G4 Powerbook, Orange Nokia 6230i user. How to get online?

Jackonicko
Oct 3, 2005, 04:32 PM
I have a new Powerbook G4 equipped with Airport and Bluetooth. I'm already set up to use Airport with my standard ISP (Virgin's monthly dial up service, with a specified phone line) via Modem and Airport. We don't have broadband in the village.

I'd like to be able to use my bluetooth phone as a modem when I'm on the road, probably using a PAYG service like Fasthosts or net2roam, since Virgin won't work away from my BT phoneline or on Airport networks, I guess.

I don't have a GPRS package activated, but I just want to occasionally check or send an e-mail, so all I need is to use the phone as a modem.

The G4 and 6320i recognise each other but with a couple of different ISPs I've tried, I get a message that there was no carrier signal.

Do I need to pick a different ISP?
Do Orange need to set up my phone to do something?
Do I need to download some kind of 'script' whatever that is?
Do I need to do it from a different 'User' or 'Location'?

Jackonicko
Oct 4, 2005, 05:22 AM
I now believe that I may NEED to activate GPRS, but everything else is a mystery. Please help this techno gumby!

mpw
Oct 4, 2005, 05:45 AM
I'm away from my Mac at the moment but'll check back this evening if nobody else has offered settings etc. BUT be prepared for really SLOW connection speeds.

Jackonicko
Oct 4, 2005, 09:19 AM
I'm away from my Mac at the moment but'll check back this evening if nobody else has offered settings etc. BUT be prepared for really SLOW connection speeds.

Thanks very much. It's for that 'once in a year' time when I can't connect wirelessly or by landline.

In the fullness of time I may opt for a more robust and more expensive solution.

But for now, it's a toe in the water!

Mark Newall
Dec 1, 2005, 08:36 AM
Hi, I have the same setup - and same problem - did you find a solution - would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Mark.

Jason_Bryan
Dec 2, 2005, 09:03 AM
Ring the orange operator on 150 from your mobile and ask to speak the the dedicated data team. They are the best data support service I have ever had to use and unlike most support teams i have spoken too know how to set up mac's as well as windows computers.

garybUK
Dec 2, 2005, 09:50 AM
Ring the orange operator on 150 from your mobile and ask to speak the the dedicated data team. They are the best data support service I have ever had to use and unlike most support teams i have spoken too know how to set up mac's as well as windows computers.

That's funny because they don't support Mac's with their 3G Datacard unlike Vodafone ... even if the card is the same!

Jason_Bryan
Dec 2, 2005, 11:21 AM
I can only give you my experience of dealing with the Data team over the past 7 years. They have always been stop on with the advice they have supplied to me, never tryied with the data card, but several phones.

kbonnel
Dec 3, 2005, 03:54 AM
Have you checked out this site before?

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

There are modem scripts for different services and phones, which would allow you to use GPRS. I got my PB with Motorola phone to work in Sweden. You will need to make sure you service account has GPRS activated.

Kimo