Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exit34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Hello guys,

I recently purchased a new mini and would like to schedule a set time ever day for the mini to wake up and a set time for it to then go to sleep. I understand where the schedule preference is under energy saver, however I have a few questions.

The attached image is the initial energy saver screen you see. Am I able to leave the "computer sleep" and "display sleep" currently at its default settings, or would I have to set these to 'Never' sleep in order to follow a specific wake/sleep schedule?

My set-up is the computer will always be powered on. I would like for it to wake at 6AM and sleep at 1AM. For the time in-between 6AM and 1AM, I would like for the computer to NEVER sleep at all. I do not mind either way what the display does, as I manually turn the display off when away from the computer.

Any provided insight into what I need to do to accomplish what I had described would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Edit: Here is the image I had referred to http://alvinalexander.com/sites/default/files/users/user3/2-energy-saver.jpg

Last edited:

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Put the top slider to never, ensuring it never sleeps of its own accord. Put the 2nd slider to something sensible, eg 15-20 minutes. Even if you put the screen off, this will stop the mac outputting an image so will save a little power.

Then set your sleep/wake timings in the schedule tab.

I think this will ensure its always on during the day and sleeping at night.

Exit34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Put the top slider to never, ensuring it never sleeps of its own accord. Put the 2nd slider to something sensible, eg 15-20 minutes. Even if you put the screen off, this will stop the mac outputting an image so will save a little power.

Then set your sleep/wake timings in the schedule tab.

I think this will ensure its always on during the day and sleeping at night.

Thank you very much for the reply. Will try out those settings shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.