Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
http://www.steelie.com/

I ordered an iPhone car mount from them about 6 weeks ago and love it. In fact, I love it so much, I ordered an extra dash ball mount to stick on my elliptical about 10 days ago but have heard nothing from them.

Of course my PayPal account was deducted immediately, but I never got an order confirmation nor shipping confirmation like I did the first time around. There is no response to email sent to them at answers@steelie.com and the phone number on their website, 720.625.2850, has had a full voicemail box since I ordered 10 days ago.

I've filed a dispute with PayPal, but the process takes time. Anyway, just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience recently?

Thanks.

magn2o

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
I'm in the same boat. I made my purchase on 01/09/13, and have received absolutely nothing from the company. Not so much as an email confirming my purchase.

Too bad, this product was exactly what I was looking for. Like you, I, too, have submitted a PayPal claim. :(

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
It is not good customer service to ignore repeated inquiries.

However, in red on their website it does say:

Dear STEELIE Customers,
Due to high demand over the holidays, a change of address, and some recent developments in our business, we are experiencing a delay shipping orders. Thank you everyone for your patience and support. We have not forgotten you- all orders will be filled as fast as humanly possible. We have partnered with another Colorado-based business to help us sell and distribute STEELIEs more quickly and reliably. This will allow us to focus on expanding the STEELIE product line of phone mounts, tablet holders, and other innovative mobile mounts.

If you are waiting on an order, please be assured that you will receive an email notification with tracking number when your order leaves our factory.​

Still not an excuse to not be communicating with customers though...

magn2o

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
It is not good customer service to ignore repeated inquiries.

However, in red on their website it does say:

Dear STEELIE Customers,
Due to high demand over the holidays, a change of address, and some recent developments in our business, we are experiencing a delay shipping orders. Thank you everyone for your patience and support. We have not forgotten you- all orders will be filled as fast as humanly possible. We have partnered with another Colorado-based business to help us sell and distribute STEELIEs more quickly and reliably. This will allow us to focus on expanding the STEELIE product line of phone mounts, tablet holders, and other innovative mobile mounts.

If you are waiting on an order, please be assured that you will receive an email notification with tracking number when your order leaves our factory.​

Still not an excuse to not be communicating with customers though...

Yea, that text wasn't on their website yesterday...

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Yup. That text is new to me as well. Wasn't there the last time I had checked their website.

magn2o

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
The way I see it, they have 30 days to provide shipping information to PayPal else they'll lose the dispute and I get my money back. All they had to do was reply to my emails. That's it.

Maybe they'll reply to PayPal's emails.. :rolleyes:

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Looks like Steelie has been acquired by an outfit called, "Nite Ize," or something like that.

Just go to the link and see:

http://www.steelie.com

Not sure what that means about orders that have been placed in the past few weeks.

magn2o

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Looks like Steelie has been acquired by an outfit called, "Nite Ize," or something like that.

Just go to the link and see:

http://www.steelie.com

Not sure what that means about orders that have been placed in the past few weeks.

Just noticed this myself.. also, they've yet to communicate at all with PayPal regarding my dispute so far.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
*sigh* Still nothing on my end.. you?

Yes, I exchanged a couple of emails with one of their CSRs, but they don't have an ETA on shipping out my order.

On top of that, they said that the fact that I filed a dispute with PayPal may "hold up" shipping of my order.

I told them as soon as I get a shipping confirmation and tracking number, I will cancel the dispute. They didn't reply to that email.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Just want to say thank you, I've been looking for a nice mount for the car, I have the App Radio and hate plugging in my iPhone and then having to pick it up to do something on it. This will be nice.

magn2o

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Yes, I exchanged a couple of emails with one of their CSRs, but they don't have an ETA on shipping out my order.

On top of that, they said that the fact that I filed a dispute with PayPal may "hold up" shipping of my order.

I told them as soon as I get a shipping confirmation and tracking number, I will cancel the dispute. They didn't reply to that email.

Well, I just got resolution from my PayPal dispute -- unsurprisingly, they decided in my favor and my purchase has been refunded to my account. :cool:

I've received absolutely no response to my emails to Steelie. :mad:

Great product, terrible customer service. Sadly, they'll never see a dime of my money.

Good luck!

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
I just escalated my dispute to a claim. I was holding out hope that the new company would make good, but that hope is quickly fading.....

I'd really just like to receive the Steelie ASAP rather than get my money back, but maybe they need to be taught a lesson first.

magn2o

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
I just escalated my dispute to a claim. I was holding out hope that the new company would make good, but that hope is quickly fading.....

I'd really just like to receive the Steelie ASAP rather than get my money back, but maybe they need to be taught a lesson first.

If enough people file claims, PayPal will freeze their account pending investigation. That should rattle some cages.

I really wanted one of these to mount my iPad Mini in my car -- but, in the end, I just placed an order for a ProClip iPad Mini Mount like I probably should have to begin with.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
UPDATE: Although I escalated my dispute to a claim with PayPal, I was still in contact with the CSR who finally was able to get my order shipped to me. I just received it and am satisfied now.

I cancelled my PayPal claim and will definitely order from the new company that took over the Steelie product line again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.