PDA

View Full Version : 'Temple Run 2' Hits the App Store

MacRumors
Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/temple-run-2-hits-the-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/templerun2.jpgImangi Studios' iconic endless runner Temple Run (http://appshopper.com/games/temple-run) proved to be a huge success, having been downloaded more than 170 million times since it launched in mid-2011, and today, a surprise sequel to the original game hit the App Store.

Temple Run 2 features the same danger-filled action-packed experience found in the first Temple Run game, but it includes new power ups, a mine cart, zip lines, and an even bigger monkey, according to the App Store description. The game is also set in a new environment and it features enhanced graphics.

Our sister site TouchArcade (http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/16/temple-run-2-hits-new-zealand-app-store-for-free-releasing-in-us-tonight/) got an early look at the game and had this to say:
Right from first boot up you'll get a sense of deja vu as the camera sweeps in on the cursed idol that has been the cause of so much running over the past year and a half. You're still being chased by freaky monkey creatures - well, just one giant creature, actually - and you're still using a combination of swipes and tilts to jump or slide past obstacles and collect coins. This is totally Temple Run.

However, just because the key components remain the same doesn't mean there isn't a ton of new stuff in Temple Run 2. Quite the opposite. The game takes place during the "golden hour" that's just before sunset in a new temple floating high up in the sky. This sequel has received a big upgrade in terms of visuals and animation over its predecessor, and it makes a difference. It's a beautiful game for sure.IoL8cCdSj4M
Temple Run 2 is currently available as a free download (http://appshopper.com/games/temple-run-2) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/temple-run-2/id572395608?mt=8)]

Article Link: 'Temple Run 2' Hits the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/temple-run-2-hits-the-app-store/)

max53389
Jan 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
Same old game with a different environment.
Moving on..

Carlanga
Jan 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
New Pitfall, I mean Temple Run lol

ifij775
Jan 16, 2013, 10:37 PM
Bummer. I was hoping to get some sleep tonight

bjm2660
Jan 16, 2013, 11:32 PM
Temple 2!!!!

Strange, it doesn't come up with a search. The direct link above works though.

akfgpuppet
Jan 16, 2013, 11:34 PM
Really unstable for me on my iPod touch 4th gen, ended up dying so many times because of the lag. The game plays and looks amazing on the iPod touch 5th gen though.

bjm2660
Jan 16, 2013, 11:41 PM
This is somewhat more intense than I thought. Nice enhancement to an already addictive game.

kjs862
Jan 16, 2013, 11:43 PM
i never tried this game but with all the positive comments maybe i'll give it a shot!

JPChicago
Jan 17, 2013, 12:33 AM
Fun game for sure! I still play part one a lot :)

locoboi187
Jan 17, 2013, 12:44 AM
ah yeah! :cool:

greenyoga
Jan 17, 2013, 01:24 AM
I download this game on my phone,and played for some times,still not very clear about the game rule now,but it seems very interesting.

mrsir2009
Jan 17, 2013, 01:37 AM
Milk it baby, milk it :cool:

Bchagey
Jan 17, 2013, 03:37 AM
Played this for a few hours tonight/this morning. My head hurts. It's awesome

kelsteo
Jan 17, 2013, 04:03 AM
I downloaded and played, really it is awesome. Graphics are very good quality!! I came to know a long path after getting fail so many times. So crazy now also playing and my highest score is 9,89,550 ...

hrishidev
Jan 17, 2013, 05:38 AM
Enough exercise for the day. Played "Temple Run" for couple of hours

tarasis
Jan 17, 2013, 06:39 AM
An okay upgrade, though the mine car is kinda cool, don't get why MacRumors is covering it though. TouchArcade yes.

tsadi
Jan 17, 2013, 06:39 AM
Moving on..

I've always wondered whether people who are always putting down the efforts of others are over-achievers themselves.

Would love to see your creations max.

louis.b
Jan 17, 2013, 06:50 AM
The graphics are soooo good. Scary though since Im scared of height :o

BornAgainApple
Jan 17, 2013, 07:12 AM
An okay upgrade, though the mine car is kinda cool, don't get why MacRumors is covering it though. TouchArcade yes.

Because Arn runs both sites.

max53389
Jan 17, 2013, 07:31 AM
I've always wondered whether people who are always putting down the efforts of others are over-achievers themselves.

Would love to see your creations max.

Never said anything to put down the dev. Just said that it the same thing as the first temple run and didn't say that wasn't a good game either.
Heck I played this game for about an hour and got bored of it and left a 5 star review.
If anything I just gave constructive criticism.

Navdakilla
Jan 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
AND it's free too!
easy download

Jessica Lares
Jan 17, 2013, 07:47 AM
I really like the first Temple Run, and while the new graphics are extremely beautiful in 2, a lot of the new scenery is very distracting that it's not very enjoyable to play. Everything blends in together.

AppleGuesser
Jan 17, 2013, 08:14 AM
Have to say this is a pretty intense update. The way the landscape goes up and down, along with interactions with the environment like zip lining. Its a pretty nice change.

For all the haters, of course this is the same game with a different environment. Isnt that the point? I dont understand.

WestonHarvey1
Jan 17, 2013, 08:26 AM
Temple 2!!!!

Strange, it doesn't come up with a search. The direct link above works though.

It's Apple's horrible Chomp acquisition. Searching the exact title of an app won't return the app as the first result if something more popular has one of the keywords.

"Baby Run - Jump Star"? Come on!

charlituna
Jan 17, 2013, 09:10 AM
Milk it baby, milk it :cool:

I don't mind them doing it since you can totally play the games and never spend any real money. its the ones where it's basically impossible to move past X level without putting up some cash that bug me.

----------

It's Apple's horrible Chomp acquisition. Searching the exact title of an app won't return the app as the first result if something more popular has one of the keywords.

"Baby Run - Jump Star"? Come on!

Actually it's more a combo of it being new and possibly not fully indexed yet and the overall ****** meta data. All the Apple Stores need a makeover in the metadata department. One useful change might be to stop indexing descriptions that way folks cant pad in things like "great for fans of Temple Run" in games that are nothing like it but they want it to show in searches.

STiNG Operation
Jan 17, 2013, 09:22 AM
Have to say this is a pretty intense update. The way the landscape goes up and down, along with interactions with the environment like zip lining. Its a pretty nice change.

For all the haters, of course this is the same game with a different environment. Isnt that the point? I dont understand.

People hate because they don't understand lol. The numbers usually shut them up. We just have to wait a little while to see how many downloaded the game.

AppleGuesser
Jan 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
People hate because they don't understand lol. The numbers usually shut them up. We just have to wait a little while to see how many downloaded the game.

Very, very true! Numbers never lie and the fact is, Temple Run is loved by many and Temple Run 2 will no doubt do the same.

Squilly
Jan 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
Well that was unexpected. I just tried my first game with TR2. I already miss TR1... physics in this one are weird.

CylonGlitch
Jan 17, 2013, 09:54 AM
I don't mind them doing it since you can totally play the games and never spend any real money. its the ones where it's basically impossible to move past X level without putting up some cash that bug me.

That's my argument as well, I have no desire to pay for something then have to keep paying to keep playing. Let me pay for it once and then that's it. Temple Run was one of those games that did it logically, if you played you could do everything, get everything, in the game without having to spend cash in a reasonable amount of time. Spend money if you just want to accelerate that a bit faster, but really not necessary.

That's why I'll test out Temple Run 2, normally I see "Top In-App Purchases" and I pass on the game.

Fireproof!
Jan 17, 2013, 09:56 AM
Pretty cool.

I enjoyed trying to beat my friends in the first one until people started cheating with the glitch to get the high scores. That's no fun.

Kaibelf
Jan 17, 2013, 10:02 AM
Moving on..

Poor baby, upset that they didn't wow you with more improvements for free? I mean, we all know you deserve only the best when you're not actually contributing a penny to the dev or doing ANY of the work to make the product. :rolleyes:

JohnLT13
Jan 17, 2013, 10:11 AM
Fun game, but not worthy of a sequel. Ill pass.:rolleyes:

TouchMint.com
Jan 17, 2013, 10:46 AM
tbh I think its pretty fun. I wasnt a super fan of the first one just because it was all the same this is a nice change tho.

iVoid
Jan 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Fun game, but not worthy of a sequel. Ill pass.:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a nice game, but doesn't really have a goal (for the users). Just a lot of running.

I'll try 2 out, but I kind of wish it had levels to complete or some quest to do.

thelink
Jan 17, 2013, 11:11 AM
Wait.... Which app store are we talking about here?? :p

Apple Key
Jan 17, 2013, 11:59 AM
Downloaded it last night. I need to give it more time, but so far I prefer the original Temple Run. Something is odd about how the camera follows your view and the fact that it's a lot less predictable. Which could make it more challenging or just make it less fun.

Charcoalwerks
Jan 17, 2013, 12:53 PM
It sucks on my 3GS:(
Not surprised.

STiNG Operation
Jan 17, 2013, 01:13 PM
Yeah, it's a nice game, but doesn't really have a goal (for the users). Just a lot of running.

I'll try 2 out, but I kind of wish it had levels to complete or some quest to do.

Yup, it needs a "quick play" and "campaign" maybe to keep it interesting. I think it might be cool to have online competitions to see who can stay alive the longest.

guzhogi
Jan 17, 2013, 01:14 PM
There seem to be a lot of these kinds of games where the entire premise is you play a guy who runs and all you have to do is jump over obstacles. Pretty simple premise, but it's still fun, IMO. Downloaded it, and I'm not very good.

cclloyd
Jan 17, 2013, 06:35 PM
No way that guy can outrun that King Kong of a gorilla.

iSayuSay
Jan 18, 2013, 12:29 AM
Moving on..

And Battlefield 3 is Doom 3 only with 100x better graphics and 10x bigger guns.

Move on :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Supa29
Jan 18, 2013, 02:26 AM
Here we go!! :D

DudeDad
Jan 18, 2013, 06:25 AM
Moving on..

Did you play it? Very, very different....incredible graphics, much harder, much faster...

AnonMac50
Jan 18, 2013, 07:35 AM
I reached the train tracks accidentally, any idea how to get them again?

iSayuSay
Jan 18, 2013, 05:58 PM
I reached the train tracks accidentally, any idea how to get them again?

It spawns randomly. But you need to run a bit further before it usually appears.