Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
My wife and I would like to (and already do) use the same apple ID. I have iCloud turned on and hers is off because 5gb isn't enough for both of us. Here's what I want to do:
Can we use the same ID, if we pay for more iCloud storage, to put all pictures taken with either iPhone into the same photo stream? We just max out our phones taking pictures of the baby and want to be able to access them from anywhere without taking up phone memory.
Secondly, does turning on photo stream on your iPhone use the phone's memory to store the pictures or is it just accessed on the cloud?
And lastly, how many pictures can be kept in photo stream? Do they ever self-delete if you reach a certain number of photos or memory level?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
1000 limit to photostream
New photos boot off oldest photos

You should be backing up all your photos as well as using Photostream

You can share an AppleID and whichever functions you wish to share together.
And you can each use a separate ID for FaceTime and iMessage at the same time.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
My wife and I would like to (and already do) use the same apple ID. I have iCloud turned on and hers is off because 5gb isn't enough for both of us. Here's what I want to do:
Can we use the same ID, if we pay for more iCloud storage, to put all pictures taken with either iPhone into the same photo stream? We just max out our phones taking pictures of the baby and want to be able to access them from anywhere without taking up phone memory.
Secondly, does turning on photo stream on your iPhone use the phone's memory to store the pictures or is it just accessed on the cloud?
And lastly, how many pictures can be kept in photo stream? Do they ever self-delete if you reach a certain number of photos or memory level?

The storage space is for iPhone backup. Photo stream is not included in that. It's the last 1000 pics or last 30 days. For what you want with photos, sounds like Dropbox would be better and easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.