PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking the App Switcher for iOS 7 (mock-ups)

LastMinuteMike
Jan 17, 2013, 02:44 PM
So I made these mock-ups of a new app switcher. Tell me what you think.

Edit: Apparently its okay to link to posts on other forums, so here you go: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/17/3887038/rethinking-the-app-switcher-for-ios-7-mock-ups

The post on the link elaborates a looot more.

Video: http://youtu.be/WfGYnN-021g

http://f.cl.ly/items/3T2s3C0X2E140i291e0u/Facebook-Main.png

http://f.cl.ly/items/3a221F1z023c2q0k2t1g/Multitasking-Music.png

Feed me some back! :)

r2shyyou
Jan 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
So I made these mock-ups of a new app switcher. Tell me what you think.

Video: http://youtu.be/WfGYnN-021g

Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/3T2s3C0X2E140i291e0u/Facebook-Main.png)

Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/3a221F1z023c2q0k2t1g/Multitasking-Music.png)

Original, much more elaborate post is on The Verge, but I'm not going to link to it since that would break the forum rules.

Feed me some back! :)

Linking to a off-site post doesn't break the forum rules (creating a thread with nothing but a link probably does) so cough it up.

LastMinuteMike
Jan 17, 2013, 03:00 PM
Linking to a off-site post doesn't break the forum rules (creating a thread with nothing but a link probably does) so cough it up.

Done! Enjoy :)

r2shyyou
Jan 17, 2013, 03:12 PM
Done! Enjoy :)

Oh, I see, it wasn't to discuss something somebody else wrote; it was to discuss something you wrote somewhere else. Hmm... I'm glad to have more context (i.e. the link) but if the mods don't like it, I suppose you'll know eventually.

Anyway, I've yet to check out the video (I'm at work currently) but from what I can see, I'm not sure I dig that semi-translucent status bar in the 2nd screenshot... :confused:

I'm kidding. :D

I'll try to check out the video and get back to you.

MattInOz
Jan 17, 2013, 04:01 PM
So it's just like the 4 finger swipe on iPad but smaller?
It would take one gesture to swipe one app either way. What if I want to get to an app that I might have used 5-6apps ago?

At least the current one lets me move quickly though the list.

As it stands it terms of information density this has gone to far the other way and gives us to much info about too small a scope.

Dwalls90
Jan 17, 2013, 05:29 PM
So many great concepts out there.

I just hope we see SOME improvements since iOS 7 will mark 3+ years of the same switcher.

cmChimera
Jan 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
I think this is visually appealing, especially the music controls. Someone brought up the fact that it only allows you to see one app at a time, and I agree that that is an issue. But it wouldn't be so long as the old multitasking bar remains in addition to this method.

ISAR
Jan 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
I love this, not only does it add something I've wanted for a long time, it also LOOKS like something iOS would have. The only complaint I would have is not being able to see but one open app at a time.

Anyways, I love it.

LastMinuteMike
Jan 18, 2013, 12:23 PM
I think this is visually appealing, especially the music controls. Someone brought up the fact that it only allows you to see one app at a time, and I agree that that is an issue. But it wouldn't be so long as the old multitasking bar remains in addition to this method.

Using a pinch gesture you could change the currently displayed apps to be four instead of one. This would make it as functional as the current method.

----------

I love this, not only does it add something I've wanted for a long time, it also LOOKS like something iOS would have. The only complaint I would have is not being able to see but one open app at a time.

Anyways, I love it.

Thanks, using your and other critique I'll create a revised concept. And don't worry, you'll be able to se more than one app in the revised version ;)

cmChimera
Jan 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
Using a pinch gesture you could change the currently displayed apps to be four instead of one. This would make it as functional as the current method.

Yeah but having to do a pinch method every time you invoked multitasking may get bothersome. I'm excited to see what your revised concept is. Are you planning on submitting it to Apple feedback?

MattInOz
Jan 18, 2013, 06:04 PM
Yeah but having to do a pinch method every time you invoked multitasking may get bothersome. I'm excited to see what your revised concept is. Are you planning on submitting it to Apple feedback?

The other problem with the pinch is it's not a gesture you can do while using the device one handed. For a basic function like app switching it really needs to be a simple gestures like tap and swipe that you can do with just your thumb while holding the device.

That said I don't know why swiping in different parts of the screen couldn't product different scroll rates. like the apps are on a wheel.

Also interested in seeing the next version.

Beeplance
Jan 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
Looks really nice, the only downside is that you can only see one app at a time instead of 4. The loss in information density is the same as the new search function in the App Store where you can only see 1 result at a time instead of 5 last time. Other than that, I think it's aesthetically pleasing.

Edit; just saw the pinching gesture thingy. While it may work, I don't like using gestures that much.

LastMinuteMike
Jan 19, 2013, 04:30 AM

Oh don't worry, you would only have to pinch once and iOS will remember. The next time you activate the app switcher it will go straight into one app mode.
I figured a pinch in the actual app switcher is smoother than putting a toggle for "one app" or "four app" mode somewhere in the settings app.

Yeah I'll submit it, but it's virtually pointless do so...

cmChimera
Jan 19, 2013, 09:06 AM
Oh don't worry, you would only have to pinch once and iOS will remember. The next time you activate the app switcher it will go straight into one app mode.
I figured a pinch in the actual app switcher is smoother than putting a toggle for "one app" or "four app" mode somewhere in the settings app.

Yeah I'll submit it, but it's virtually pointless do so...

I don't think it's pointless, Apple has done things I have posted in feedback. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to post them, but they clearly pay attention to their feedback. When you're ready submit it, I'll also submit as I'm sure some other members would be willing to do.

LastMinuteMike
Jan 19, 2013, 10:33 AM
I don't think it's pointless, Apple has done things I have posted in feedback. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to post them, but they clearly pay attention to their feedback. When you're ready submit it, I'll also submit as I'm sure some other members would be willing to do.

Yeah, I'm sure they listen to feedback about small improvements and little tweaks and features here and there, but this is a complete overhaul of the app switcher, one of the biggest components in the OS. I don't think they'll give a **** about what I've come up with :D

But I'll definitely submit it when I'm done, and I would be unbelievably grateful if you also helped me out!

Thanks for all the positive feedback, it made me really happy.

The revised version is done, all I have left now is to create the video showcasing it, however since its Saturday I probably won't be finished until tomorrow.

JoeyCloverfield
May 6, 2013, 10:34 PM
Finally, a mockup that looks good!

I don't think the swipe-up from the bottom edge would be any faster than double clicking the home button. When your playing a game you have to swipe down twice to bring down Notification Center, once to show the 'handle?' and then another to actually bring down NC. I think this will also be true to bring up the app switcher.

I like the idea that pinching allows you to fit more apps. It doesn't seem like a setting that people will need to change very often, so I think your safe with the whole, "you can't do it with one hand" thing.

The Music controls should definitely stay on screen.

For navigation, you can add a static UIPageControl on the bottom and give it a similar functionality that the right vertical alphabet has in the Music.app. When the user moves their finger through it, instead of scrolling one by one, it'll scroll though the whole thing.

xDKP
May 7, 2013, 02:56 AM
Wow just had a look in the Verge forum and you got a lot of beat ups in the start - I think it looks awesome and would love iOS to be a little more task-switching friendly...