Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Well I ended up getting my hands on one of these things (watches RacerX roll his eyes at the case design :D ), I think I am actually going to use this in place of my 6500/275 for poor mans video capture, as the Memory capacity on this thing is MUCH better, and I am able to get it into the G3 (G4?) speed zone with relative ease.

I actually don't mind the terrible (it is and I TOTALLY agree with comments) case design, as I have a quadra 840av with the same patent. ANYTHING is better then replacing logic boards in an iBook, but I won't go there, as I am using it to post this :) .

For now it is just going to have to sit on my apple rack, as I don't have time to work on it yet, nor do I want to spend money at this point.

image.php

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
840quadra said:
Well I ended up getting my hands on one of these things (watches RacerX roll his eyes at the case design :D ), I think I am actually going to use this in place of my 6500/275 for poor mans video capture, as the Memory capacity on this thing is MUCH better, and I am able to get it into the G3 (G4?) speed zone with relative ease.

I actually don't mind the terrible (it is and I TOTALLY agree with comments) case design, as I have a quadra 840av with the same patent. ANYTHING is better then replacing logic boards in an iBook, but I won't go there, as I am using it to post this :) .

For now it is just going to have to sit on my apple rack, as I don't have time to work on it yet, nor do I want to spend money at this point.

image.php

U R right the computer rocks!!! I used to have one, but i threw it out becasue the case wouldn't close.(man those cases suck!) anyway, it is really hard to upgrade the ram. U have to take the whole logic board out first. i now use a 7500 becuase of the easy expandability. With 8 ram slots and 4vram slots that machine rocks!

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
I have one with 96MB RAM and a 300MHz PowerPC G3 card running 8.1 —don't use it much, but the audio/video capture is nice.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
840quadra said:
I would think that a G4 between 500 MHz and 800 MHz would be a good investment.

Also, as we are in the same area, when you get around to playing with it I can give you an additional 2 MB of VRAM (bringing the total to 4 MB if yours is starting out with the stock 2 MB). The more onboard VRAM the better the capture abilities.

macEfan said:
i now use a 7500 becuase of the easy expandability. With 8 ram slots and 4vram slots that machine rocks!
Yeah, the 7500 has one of the best case designs for tinkering (I love mine).

Because the 7500 logic board is identical to the 8500, you can use the 8500's AV module in the 7500 (you have to open up the two additional case holes for the RCA composite video and S-Video out ports). I've considered doing the switch on my 8500 and 7500, but because I'm running Rhapsody on the 7500 it would be a waste because Rhapsody doesn't use those ports anyways (plus my 7500 is doing server duty now that I have an 8600/300).

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
RacerX said:
I would think that a G4 between 500 MHz and 800 MHz would be a good investment.

Any recommendations for vendors, or manufacturers for this upgrade? I did a ZIF upgrade in my G3 but I was slow to act, and wanted the best and most stable available.

Also, as we are in the same area, when you get around to playing with it I can give you an additional 2 MB of VRAM (bringing the total to 4 MB if yours is starting out with the stock 2 MB). The more onboard VRAM the better the capture abilities.

Thanks, I may take you up on that offer, and if you would like to charge a reasonable fee, I would be happy to compinsate you for the chips :) .

Yeah, the 7500 has one of the best case designs for tinkering (I love mine).

The 8500 will be shipped soon, but I am (and was) looking for a 7500 to add to my collection to use as a server. I have someone that is interested in my 6500, but my darn stubborn collector side doesn't want to part with it. If I sell the 6500 I will have a void that I will try to fill quickly.

Next on the list after that is a workgroup server :)

image.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.