Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
As expected, Honda will be buying the remaining stake in BAR later this year.

Rinky dink link

BAR Honda Site

Also, Sato's comments are very interesting... that we might be seeing an 11th team on the grid from next season. :eek:

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
barneygumble said:
Cool, they are really getting strong now, bring on japan :)

I think we'll be seeing a new order in F1 in the coming years, Toyota Vs. Honda... :eek:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
With Honda stepping up and Toyota continuing its big committment to F1, the sport is definitely stronger.

I really did not like the deliberate hobbling of Ferrari by the stupid rules changes (especially the one set-per-race tire rule :mad: ), but now that the title is more or less up for grabs between a few teams, I think people are more willing to open their wallets to mount a challenge.

More teams would be a good thing...I really hope it happens. This could really make for interesting racing between Red bull 2, Midland and Honda 2 - even if they weren't competitive for the championship they would at least still be racing each other. I t would also make points more valuable.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
what i find even better are the rumours of coca-cola jumping in the sponsering as well..

looks like the year 2006 gonna top this year in excitement pretty easily

(sadly Porsche won't take the financial risk of the F1 ... because them re-entering would be perhaps the sweetest thing.. same with audi)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
takao said:
(sadly Porsche won't take the financial risk of the F1 ... because them re-entering would be perhaps the sweetest thing.. same with audi)

It's a shame that Audi and Porsche don't collaborate under the Auto Union brand, that'd be the mutts. :D

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
iGav said:
It's a shame that Audi and Porsche don't collaborate under the Auto Union brand, that'd be the mutts. :D

well that would be a far strech perhaps as a "_new_ auto union"
the historic one included the saxonian (sp?) car manufactures Audi, Horch (***** beautiful cars),Wanderer and DKW .. got re-founded after the war (now in Ingolstadt) and was even owned by Mercedes for some years untill they sold it to Volkswagen (and of course the later fusion with NSU)

so i doubt somehow that Porsche, even with their rather loose connection to VW, will work together with Audi for racing under the name "Auto union" since Audi _is_ the Auto Union just with the name "Audi" slapped on by VW for brand recognition in '64

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
takao said:
well that would be a far strech perhaps as a "_new_ auto union" the historic one included the saxonian (sp?) car manufactures Audi, Horch (***** beautiful cars),Wanderer and DKW .. got re-founded after the war (now in Ingolstadt) and was even owned by Mercedes for some years untill they sold it to Volkswagen (and of course the later fusion with NSU)

Thanks for the history lesson, :) but I'm well aware of that fella. ;) :)

takao said:
so i doubt somehow that Porsche, even with their rather loose connection to VW, will work together with Audi for racing under the name "Auto union" since Audi _is_ the Auto Union just with the name "Audi" slapped on by VW for brand recognition in '64

Ferdinand was the chief monkey behind Auto Unions main success, that's why I think such a callaboration could work. It's difficult to imagine either brand ever entering F1 on it's own, however as a partnership... under an historically rich brand that has rich ties to each company then I think it could be possible and indeed successful.

More so when you consider that Porsche are currently wanting a sizeable stake in VW.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
I'm all for more cars of the grid, but I'm a little concerned now with Honda doing it. There's little doubt they'll be up at the front soon, so will this B team become a bit of a moveable road block? I hope they manage to keep it under control.

On a slide aside, I did have a chuckle about these two B teams. With the RedBull and Honda being mid-pack, no-one's too worried. However wasn't it only a few years ago when everyone was up in arms that McLaren and Williams were discussing running a third car?

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
croshtique said:
At least it looks much more likely that Davidson will get a drive :D

I hope so - he deservers the chance, and I think having Sato as a team mate would be good too. It'd give Davidson the opp. to be the lead driver :p

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
tzibo said:
I hope so - he deservers the chance, and I think having Sato as a team mate would be good too. It'd give Davidson the opp. to be the lead driver :p

Yup! Sato sure needs to be (re-)shown the ropes...
I think Trevor Carlin has something to do with this new team, after he left Jordan/Midland earlier this year.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
This is really good news for Honda and Toyota fans. Both companies work the technology they develop for their F1 vehicles into their regular vehicles. Success in this field means better performing cars down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.