PDA

View Full Version : Will next update bring IPS screens?

washburn
Jan 18, 2013, 02:16 AM
do you see it happening?

nutmac
Jan 18, 2013, 02:47 AM
do you see it happening?
I don't expect next MBA update to be much more than Haswell spec bump (and possibly higher RAM and/or storage). When and if MBA goes retina, which probably will happen next year at the earliest, I expect MBA to adopt IPS panel as well.

kaellar
Jan 18, 2013, 07:59 AM
I don't expect next MBA update to be much more than Haswell spec bump (and possibly higher RAM and/or storage). When and if MBA goes retina, which probably will happen next year at the earliest, I expect MBA to adopt IPS panel as well.

IPS display doesn't have to be Retina. And I hope it won't be for MBA's. IPS displays with the same resolution as current MBA's ones + new Imac- and rMBP-like AR coating would be an awesome improvement over the current MBA without sacrificing laptop's battery life, size, power and whatsoever.

nutmac
Jan 18, 2013, 01:15 PM
IPS display doesn't have to be Retina. And I hope it won't be for MBA's. IPS displays with the same resolution as current MBA's ones + new Imac- and rMBP-like AR coating would be an awesome improvement over the current MBA without sacrificing laptop's battery life, size, power and whatsoever.
True, Apple can bring IPS without retina and I hope to be wrong. MBAs do stick out like a sore thumb as the only Apple product with TN screen (well, outgoing classic MBPs too).

But I strongly suspect MBAs will remain status quo (aside from spec bumps) until they go retina.

danistyping
Jan 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
But I strongly suspect MBAs will remain status quo (aside from spec bumps) until they go retina.

Yeah I agree. Retina is coming at some point in the next two years and it is unlike Apple to update something every generation. I think we'll get one more gen of TN displays and then a redesign + retina. OR the next release will be redesign with retina because Haswell will allow for it. Either way, a non-retina IPS in the next MBA is not going to happen IMO.

Bear
Jan 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
do you see it happening?After checking with the Magic 8-Ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_8-Ball) the answer I came up with is: "Maybe. We'll know more a week or 2 before the next Air is released."

washburn
Jan 18, 2013, 05:16 PM
after checking with the magic 8-ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/magic_8-ball) the answer i came up with is: "maybe. We'll know more a week or 2 before the next air is released."

u r so funny!