PDA

View Full Version : sales tax

not28
Oct 4, 2005, 08:34 AM
Does the Apple online store charge sales tax to PA residents?
Thank you.

robcts
Oct 4, 2005, 08:41 AM
Yes, I believe so.

not28
Oct 4, 2005, 08:44 AM
Thank you, I've never ordered from the online store. I guess I'll just buy from the retail store downtown since it will cost about the same then.

Bear
Oct 4, 2005, 10:26 AM
Thank you, I've never ordered from the online store. I guess I'll just buy from the retail store downtown since it will cost about the same then.If you want a BTO system, it's probably better to order it online since the store will most likely have to order it anyway.

ftaok
Oct 4, 2005, 11:02 AM
Thank you, I've never ordered from the online store. I guess I'll just buy from the retail store downtown since it will cost about the same then.
Where in PA are you? If you're in the Philly area, it may be worth your while to go to the Christiana Mall in Delaware. No sales tax. For me, if I spend about $100 worth of stuff in Delaware, I break even with sales tax.

Oh, and be sure to file your Use Tax return at tax time. ;)

wdlove
Oct 4, 2005, 11:14 AM
Yes, if your state charges a Sales Tax then Apple Online will also charge the tax. That is why in most cases I prefer to visit my local Apple Store. I like the one on one contact. A relationship with staff is valuable, one mentioned Sunday that I'm recognized.

ZoomZoomZoom
Oct 4, 2005, 11:30 AM
Yes, if your state charges a Sales Tax then Apple Online will also charge the tax. That is why in most cases I prefer to visit my local Apple Store. I like the one on one contact. A relationship with staff is valuable, one mentioned Sunday that I'm recognized.

Isn't it that, if Apple has a location in your state, then you pay a sales tax; if not, you don't? When I ordered my camera, I had it shipped from New York - and their policy was "no sale tax, except for NY residents."

Apple does have a PA location though, I think in King of Prussia. (I go to school in PA, but I'm not a native, so I'm not sure.)

OCOTILLO
Oct 4, 2005, 11:32 AM
If an online vendor has a physical presence in a sales tax state, they must by law charge sales tax on online transactions.

ftaok
Oct 4, 2005, 01:07 PM
Isn't it that, if Apple has a location in your state, then you pay a sales tax; if not, you don't? When I ordered my camera, I had it shipped from New York - and their policy was "no sale tax, except for NY residents."

Apple does have a PA location though, I think in King of Prussia. (I go to school in PA, but I'm not a native, so I'm not sure.)
You're absolutely right. Even if your state doesn't have an Apple Store, you will still pay sales tax because of Apple's education sales force. I think this is correct, but being that it's posted on the Internet ...

Anyways, since Apple has a presense in every state, you'll have to pay sales tax regardless of where you live (except for those who live in states without a sales tax).

ft

ibglowin
Oct 4, 2005, 01:36 PM
Well they don't have a presence in my State (NM) and they still want to charge me over $150 in sales tax on a new computer. I am looking at a Dual G5 that would be over $100 cheaper ordering from Amazon. No sales tax, $200 rebate coupon.

Makes no sense to me. I called and complained, they said sorry.

ftaok
Oct 4, 2005, 02:06 PM
Well they don't have a presence in my State (NM) and they still want to charge me over $150 in sales tax on a new computer. I am looking at a Dual G5 that would be over $100 cheaper ordering from Amazon. No sales tax, $200 rebate coupon.

Makes no sense to me. I called and complained, they said sorry.But Apple does have a presence in your state. They probably sell equipment to many schools in the area or at least have people who try to. Like I said above, Apple has a presence in every state.

not28
Oct 5, 2005, 01:07 PM

I live in Pittsburgh. There's an Apple retail store down the road in Shadyshide. I've been there several times before, just browsing. I don't yet know if I want a BTO system. I won't make a final decision until the new Powerbooks roll out.