PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice! Powerbook or iBook

Samuel_Mac
Oct 4, 2005, 08:53 AM
I am currently doing design at university
Own a iMac G5 20"
Thinking to buy a Notebook
either iBook 14" or Powerbook 12" or 15"?
I think iBook 14" is enough for carrying around and price is good too
Just need to hear from u mac people

New with mac for 6 months, in love with mac :confused:

tekmoe
Oct 4, 2005, 08:55 AM
i think the 14" ibook looks like a fat slob. it's ugly to my eyes and i hate looking at it. functionality-wise, it is awesome. ;)

wait for a new powerbook and be done with it.

devilot
Oct 4, 2005, 08:57 AM
I say iBook... I had a PB and then got my 20" iMac G5-- but w/ that as my 'powerhouse' I really didn't need a PB so my sister got the PB and I got a 12" iBook.

We're both happy, and now my lappy matches my desktop!

Honestly, there isn't too much difference between the iBooks and the 12" PBs. So spending the extra money boils down to needing the extra VRAM, ports, and natively supported clamshell mode/ spanning external displays.

The other thing... I love my iBook, perhaps more than my PB. 1) the plastic can handle a beating compared to everyone's description of the aluminum being prone to denting, 2) the plastic enables much much much better wi-fi reception (essential to me, especially in a portable, otherwise, why bother w/ portable :p ), 3) much much much much much better battery life from the PB to the iBook. My iBook can get about 6+ hours vs. my PB's 4ish hours, 4) the iBook runs literally cooler, cooler to the touch. The PB can get uncomfortable hot relatively quickly.

GimmeSlack12
Oct 4, 2005, 08:59 AM
They should make a forum for this topic alone. I read a new one of these every day.

Flip a coin, you can't go wrong. But if you get an iBook, get the 12" , both iBook screens have the same resolution so don't waste your money on a bigger iBook.

FF_productions
Oct 4, 2005, 09:08 AM
I'm sick of saying "wait for powerbook updates" so I'd say go with a 14 inch iBook, and max out the ram as you please, and you will have a nice portable.

Don't spend your time waiting for what seems to be a useless powerbook update, just get the iBook.

20rogersc
Oct 4, 2005, 09:08 AM
Go with the iBook, whether it's a 12" or 14", as compared to the current PBs they're a snip. And if you are looking for an external monitor, there's always the hack for the iBook which works well, which I can now not live wth out.

::20ROGERSC::

Samuel_Mac
Oct 4, 2005, 09:11 AM
Thank you for these quick replies,
I am thinking to get it in one or two month time, so might just see if they gonna have anything new till then

javiercr
Oct 4, 2005, 09:31 AM
the 14'' iBook is the worst notebook apple makes imho, it has the same resolution than the 12'', that is only 1024x768 for a 14''.

javiercr
Oct 4, 2005, 09:35 AM
I would get a refurb 12" PB ( i actually got that and love it), the 15 was too expensive for me :(

nagromme
Oct 4, 2005, 10:46 AM
* ALWAYS wait as long as you can with computers. They always get better or cheaper.

* The PowerBook IS better. But it costs more. Both are equally good buys.

* The REAL thing worth waiting for is Intel PowerBooks/iBooks. That will be a BIG step forward (in speed particularly, and probably other features of the new design). Soonest possible: January. Could be months later. But you already have a G5, so maybe you can afford to wait at least until MacWorld Expo in January, and watch the rumors. The flipside is that you'd be an early adopter of the first Intel Macs, and there could be some rough spots in the transition--like having to use the non-Intel Photoshop for months until a new Photoshop comes out. Non-intel apps will run (most--not all!) but won't get the speed of the Intel chip. It's still the choice I'd make, looking at the long term, since you do already have a nice Mac.

dcv
Oct 4, 2005, 11:34 AM
If you're planning on keeping your iMac then just go for a 12" iBook - the combination of the two should be more than sufficient for your needs. Otherwise, if you're getting rid of the iMac go for a PowerBook.

Danksi
Oct 4, 2005, 11:55 AM
If you're planning on keeping your iMac then just go for a 12" iBook - the combination of the two should be more than sufficient for your needs. Otherwise, if you're getting rid of the iMac go for a PowerBook.

My thinking as well.. iMac for the 'power' and then iBook 12" for portability at a reasonable cost.

AJ Muni
Oct 4, 2005, 12:03 PM
i think the 14" ibook looks like a fat slob. it's ugly to my eyes and i hate looking at it. functionality-wise, it is awesome. ;)

wait for a new powerbook and be done with it.

i coudnt agree with you more....

Deepdale
Oct 4, 2005, 12:08 PM
If your needs are somewhat more demanding, go with a Powerbook. If not, the iBook will serve you well for as long as you own it. Just get a good amount of RAM. Many purchasers seem to overestimate their actual needs -- and thereby pay an excessive amount -- when, in fact, they just browse around the internet, use iTunes, write letters and send e-mail to friends via AOL or other online providers. Such actual needs do not require a PB. Save on the price by selecting an iBook, bumping up your memory and getting a nice carrying case for it.

MacDawg
Oct 4, 2005, 12:12 PM
Each has its advantages, and you won't go wrong with either... just max the RAM whichever you get.

Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

bluemouse
Oct 4, 2005, 01:57 PM
I have the 12" PB, and my fiancee has the 12" iBook. My 2 cents: go for the iBook. And go for the 12".

The screen is perfectly visible. It isn't as small as you think it is. And the 12" loses very little to a comparison with the 14". The processor difference is negligible, and the portability advantage with the 12" is very significant. Since you have the imac at home, that's likely the machine you'll use for any serious, "power" computing. As a college student, the laptop is probably for on-the-go Internet and word processing, both tasks for which you hardly need the PB.