PDA

View Full Version : Is my Kenwood head unit wrecking my iPods?

Ke1ington
Jan 19, 2013, 08:11 AM
About a week ago my music just stopped in my car. I tried skipping tracks and resetting the iPod but wasn't able to get anything back. When I pulled the iPod out of the glove compartment it was making audible clicking noises. I attempted a restore through iTunes and can get nothing but the red "x" with the iPod support URL. So I took it as a loss.

Went to the local pawn shop and picked up another classic (which was loaded with good music; jackpot) and loaded everything up. Two days later its the same thing. Big red X and audible clicking.

Does anybody know what's happening to these iPods and if there is a way to repair them?

SandboxGeneral
Jan 19, 2013, 08:31 AM
Sounds like you have iPod Classic's which had a hard drive inside. I would bet that the drive has bad sectors in it from the heads crashing - possibly from lots of bumps while driving.

I have a Classic in my glovebox as well hooked up to an Alpine unit and it's been there for several years and I am surprised it's still working actually.

Ke1ington
Jan 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
Yep. Both classics. Is this something that can be fixed?

blackhand1001
Jan 19, 2013, 02:10 PM

Probably not. Take it to the apple store and say its not working and they may comp you a replacement if you get lucky.

SandboxGeneral
Jan 19, 2013, 02:17 PM

Actually yes it can be fixed. If you have an IBM PC, get the software called Spinrite (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm) along with a CF/IDE adapter and open the iPod and get the HDD out. Connect it with the adapter to a PC and run Spinrite on it. There is a testimonial (http://www.grc.com/sr/testimonials.htm) on GRC.com about this being a success.

Spinrite is typically run on normal computer HDD's, but can just as easily fix an iPod HDD.

I use Spinrite all the time to fix HDD's and maintain them.