Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
So this morning I received a call from a sales person at RedZee.com telling me about their "great PPC & toolbar" without going into to many details it's basically spyware that manipulates the way google/yahoo/msn results are rendered in IE when their search bar in installed.

So basically everything they are hawking spyware & taking peoples money. The reason I'm asking about a redirect is when you use their shady redzee.com "search engine" their regular listings also come up in the sponsors links. So when I search my own name I not only come up in the regular results but also in the sponsors section. Being that I haven't given (nor do I plan to) any of my money I'd like to set up a site wide redirect on my own domain so that their BS search engine doesn't explore my site at all.

any thoughts/ides on this?

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
Before you can block them, you need to find out what you're actually blocking - their spider bot's user-agent, their assigned IP blocks maybe.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
robot.txt assume that the programmer of the bot is honorable, and actually cares to get the robot.txt file. depending on your site, you basis a redirect on a referal address. it would have to depend if you are using php, pl, asp, etc. usually for leeches that ignore the robot.txt file, i usually don't redirect them but just send them a blank page. that way, that way bot will think the site is empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.