PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Noises

DamoD
Oct 4, 2005, 02:25 PM
Hey all. Been checking out this forum for a bit, my first post so a pre-empted thanks for any answers.
Had a Powermac G4 for nearly four years and have finally got a Powerbook, 15" 1.67, 1gb memory, 128mb graphics card. Just need my mind putting at rest, I've done a search on here but to no results...probably been asked before though.

When in use, the powerbook makes a "clunking" noise, almost like a marble dropping sound. I edit on FCP and this is most present when I render an image or start the computer doing a task. It does happen in other application/general uses too.
It is linked with a pause in action before the task kicks in, which I thought would not happen considering the laptops speed?

Harddrive sleep is turned off, processor on auto setting.

Is this noise and pausing just a feature of the powerbook?

Thanks.
Damian

Brundlefly
Oct 4, 2005, 02:42 PM
the powerbooks automatically turn off the sound card, after 30 seconds. I note that on mine, before I have a sound (like a incoming email or chat message) I get a sound that could be construed as a clunk, then a few secs later the sound plays...

could this be it? :o

edit to say I have seen there is softwares to stop the machine doing this, it is for saving battery power but it can be annoying.

fwhh
Oct 4, 2005, 03:01 PM
I don't hope this is the "click of death" from your harddrive?
My PB has had it, and some days later the harddrive failed. The drive made a "click"-noise, than the os stopped working for a second or two.
You may want to check the "SMART" status of your drive using:
SMARTreporter (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23232)
Be sure to have a backup of your files.

On my PB the "wake-up-sound" of the soundcard only appears when running on batteries.

DamoD
Oct 5, 2005, 05:38 AM
Cheers for the replies.
Im not sure it would be the sound card as it is happening in less time than 30 secs inbetween tasks so it wouldn't have chance to turn off.
It also happens, although less often, when the powerbook is just sat doing nothing on the desktop screen.

fwhh:
It's a refurbished powerbook I just bought. I would hope it's not a harddrive failure, what was the sound of yours going? This is a definate echoey "clunk" sound with a click after it...then the task kicks in. Its less than a second gap though.

Thanks

Palad1
Oct 5, 2005, 06:19 AM
did you insert any suspect cd or dvd in your powerbook?

I have a nice horror story to share, involving a cd with a sticker, a ventilation system, a dead superdrive and a dead hard drive...

DamoD
Oct 5, 2005, 12:58 PM
Nope, no sticker or DVD/CD inserted...just happening in normal use and when using applications.
Starting to worry me a little now...maybe worth a call to Apple?
D

wwooden
Oct 5, 2005, 01:43 PM
I call can't hurt and it will only help to inform you for later occurrences.

Palad1
Oct 6, 2005, 01:53 AM
Nope, no sticker or DVD/CD inserted...just happening in normal use and when using applications.
Starting to worry me a little now...maybe worth a call to Apple?
D

first register your applecare, then once you are certain it's registered, call them, they usually do their job very well (as I sadly learned, APP is expensive, but worth every penny).

Good luck DamoD!

edit: sounds like you have a mechanical problem either the hard drive or your superdrive. I'd say the hard drive, because of the delay when launching new apps.

One last advice:
Backup.

NOW!

wongulous
Oct 6, 2005, 10:54 AM
Back up. And fast.

Then, assuming you've already registered your AppleCare (standard or extended warranty), call Apple. Something is way wrong... and even refurb PBs are too expensive to risk it.

itsbetteronamac
Oct 6, 2005, 04:12 PM
It's not you sound card. It could very likeley be your hard drive, and in that case BACK UP and then do a test. Oh! I just thought of something. It could possible be one of your fans. Your fans maybe kicking in when you execute process in anticipation of access heat. And in your case, your fan(s) may just make a wierd sound when the start up or there is an issue with the bearings or something. (Don't know if these small fans have bearings)

One question, is is similar to the sound your superdrive makes when you wake your computer from sleep?

DamoD
Oct 7, 2005, 01:06 PM
I haven't called Apple yet but definately will now...thanks for the advice.
Hope it is nothing serious I desperately need the machine for editing at the moment.
It's not anything I have heard on any machine or friends powerbooks, and I would say definately nothing like the superdrive sound.
I found an example of the sound by strange coincidence...it's like when you slowly turn a can of spray paint upside down and the mixer ball hits and bounces of the inside of the can! haha. I know that sounds odd!
Cheers.

boomer13
Oct 19, 2005, 11:18 PM
Well, I can confirm yours is not a completely isolated case. I hear the same "marble clunk" (very descriptive and completely accurate way of putting it, BTW) on my PB 17". In fact, this is my SECOND 17" PB, and I've heard it on both (the first one didn't die... I just got an upgraded model).

I'm utterly anal about backups, so I'm not quite so on edge as I could be. Something I didn't see mentioned in the thread is, sure enough, the sound SEEMS to be coming from just where the HD is, i.e. the left corner closest to me.

SMARTreporter says I have a healthy drive, and I haven't seen a failure yet. But, now I've teased the hard drive gods by submitting this post ...

:eek:

I haven't called Apple yet but definately will now...thanks for the advice.
Hope it is nothing serious I desperately need the machine for editing at the moment.
It's not anything I have heard on any machine or friends powerbooks, and I would say definately nothing like the superdrive sound.
I found an example of the sound by strange coincidence...it's like when you slowly turn a can of spray paint upside down and the mixer ball hits and bounces of the inside of the can! haha. I know that sounds odd!
Cheers.